Idle/rev issues with CIA install and humidity/moisture?

kevronicoal

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe - Aegean Blue
Country flag
I will *try* to keep it short…

Almost a year ago, I installed the Injen CIA (the short rm/CIA combo, and I chose to install as a CIA). It has their specific air filter, and the install overall was successful. I did have a tough time removing my MAF sensor from my old air box, but once I got it off, I was able to install it fine on the CIA.

Basically, I have been getting issues with my car having a hard time starting up, idling, or coming back down to idle after releasing the gas at a higher rev (any rpm above idle). Sometimes it seems to chug along when trying to increase revs under load as well, especially around 1.5-3k rpm.

I have a big feeling this has been due to moisture from the environment. This is because I almost solely get this issue if it rains and I drive in the rain on the highway for a 20min commute (likely getting moisture/droplets into my engine bay – but not sure where exactly it might fly into), or after I wash my car (with a normal hose sometimes, but usually after pressure washing the car [I never wash with the engine bay open though).

So if it ever rains hard and I drive in the rain for a while, or I pressure wash my car for a cleaning, my car sometimes gets a hard time starting up. What normally happens is that it takes a second longer to crank and start, then it would idle a bit higher than usual (especially if cold). If I blip the throttle, or maintain a higher rev (say 1.5k) for a few sec and then release the gas, the car would struggle getting back down to idle. It would have to catch itself from dying, since it falls below idle to about 500rpm, then catch itself, then idle a little higher than normal – all while not sounding very ‘clear’. Furthermore, if I am trying to drive (I never drive it hard when it is running like this), it will run rough when raising in rpms and under load. It could cut out and lose power, but then catch itself and run clearer for a little.

This whole thing basically goes away after the car has been driven for awhile (20min plus at least?), probably because it is completely warmed up inside. I feel like the car might be running rich in these cases (namely because my mileage goes down bit from what I can tell). Even if it rains when driven in this condition, it might run fine after a long drive (again, probably because it is quite warm in the engine bay).

So this makes me think that it could be an issue with: the seals/tubing along the CIA leaking water into them; the air filter getting too wet; the MAF sensor being dirty and moisture making it sense poorly; or a combination of these?

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I feel like the air filter being too wet is unlikely because I would think it would have to be SOAKED to start running poorly. Plus, I would think the filter is designed to be in a spot that tiny drops of water wouldn’t ruin the performance so easily. And for the MAF sensor, I cleaned in a few days ago, in the hopes that cleaning it (and its terminals for connections) would solve the issue. I thought that maybe when I struggled removing the MAF sensor from the stock air box, I got it dirty or something. But I pressure washed my car last night, and the issue still occurred again (car drove totally fine before the wash and after cleaning the MAF sensor).

I feel like it has definitely something to do with moisture or humidity – because even from last night, my car ran alright after I warmed it up after my wash (car was cold after the wash – but I washed it when the engine was a little warm). I started the car, it had a tad bit of a rough running until it was warm, but it was not the worst I have had. I drove about 15min, parked my car, turned it off, came back about 10-15min later, and the car was back at running rough. It went away fairly quickly this second time (within a few min, versus the usual 10-ish minutes of driving). But I found it odd that it occurred again when no additional moisture should’ve affected anything. Makes me think that the warmer engine bay increased the humidity in the bay, then triggered the issue again.

I can try my best to include any other details anyone requests. I really thought I was onto something with cleaning the sensor, but maybe I am missing something. I might contact Injen to see if they have any ideas, or might consider getting a new sensor in case mine went bad…? Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I also posted this on Reddit, if that could ever give other people ideas/discussions. https://bit.ly/35oE7BY
Sponsored

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
The injen intakes weren’t developed correctly and make your fuel trims off which creates all kinds of problems and has rumored blown motors for our cars as well

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The injen intakes weren’t developed correctly and make your fuel trims off which creates all kinds of problems and has rumored blown motors for our cars as well
Oof - maybe I'll try upgrading to something like PRL ? I am tempted to get a new MAF sensor in case it's because of it for some reason, like my install affecting it. But my friend who has the Injen short ram doesn't seem to have any issues. I guess I'll see! Thanks!
Sponsored