Ideas on modding exhaust and question about air intake?

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Any idea on modding my civic 1.5 turbo’s exhaust? Many suggested not to take away stock muffler. while some suggested to do modification to mid pipe and muffler only . I am asking Just before I make a move in welding an exhaust pipe with a tip out which seems meaningless as only a cosmetic purpose and of which most of civician here does.
Question no.2 : Does installing a branded air intake either CAI or SRI do any pros and cons to the car long term wise ? I’m sure warranty voided. Heard most commented PRL cobra CAI sort of best here. How about the rest - K&N , Injen, Mishimoto, MST ? What’s different ?
Sponsored

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
I recently tried the AFE Takeda Momentum, didn't like the sound it made on the low end with the TSP stage 1 tune, a lot of drone.

Thinking about trying the Injen Evolution, but I keep reading about fuel trim issues but I think those complaints are related to the in fender cold air and not this one thats a short ram with a shroud that replaces factory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
I recently tried the AFE Takeda Momentum, didn't like the sound it made on the low end with the TSP stage 1 tune, a lot of drone.

Thinking about trying the Injen Evolution, but I keep reading about fuel trim issues but I think those complaints are related to the in fender cold air and not this one thats a short ram with a shroud that replaces factory.
but I heard a short ram intake allows hot air to be sucked in? I’ve watched somebody posting injen short ram intake test on civic, sounds pretty apparent . But it’s the matter of short ram & cold air . So taking into consideration of a much deeper research before I’m going to install one ?

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
but I heard a short ram intake allows hot air to be sucked in? I’ve watched somebody posting injen short ram intake test on civic, sounds pretty apparent . But it’s the matter of short ram & cold air . So taking into consideration of a much deeper research before I’m going to install one ?
SRI with no shield, yes, you're open to heat soak, but even 27won cold air is a short ram with a rerouted intake box, pulling air from the fender instead of through the grill like OEM

The injen SRI im looking at is this one: https://injen.com/i-30497557-injen-evolution-cold-air-intake-system-evo1500.html#!year=2019||make=HONDA||model=CIVIC||submodel=1.5L TURBO L4

So it's like OEM in design but allows for me intake and some reduced heat soak because of the poly shroud

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
SRI with no shield, yes, you're open to heat soak, but even 27won cold air is a short ram with a rerouted intake box, pulling air from the fender instead of through the grill like OEM

The injen SRI im looking at is this one: https://injen.com/i-30497557-injen-evolution-cold-air-intake-system-evo1500.html#!year=2019||make=HONDA||model=CIVIC||submodel=1.5L TURBO L4

So it's like OEM in design but allows for me intake and some reduced heat soak because of the poly shroud
pretty much the Same price as the PRL , does SRI offered louder blow off sound than CAI? how about K&N . Did consider ?

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
I'm trying to do dry filters (k and n only oiled) and not trying to deal with removing the resonator for the intake which you have to with any fender cold air.

its definitely louder but i've never noticed blowoff with any cold air (kn, mishimoto, afe). growl from the intake is definitely affected by tunes. i notice more growl definitely from ktuner base maps and tsp drones in low end

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
I'm trying to do dry filters (k and n only oiled) and not trying to deal with removing the resonator for the intake which you have to with any fender cold air.

its definitely louder but i've never noticed blowoff with any cold air (kn, mishimoto, afe). growl from the intake is definitely affected by tunes. i notice more growl definitely from ktuner base maps and tsp drones in low end
You mean the K&N drop in Panel filter ? Isn’t that the stage one air intake step?

Ah yeah that’s what I’ve learnt, short ram intake offers louder or sharper blow off, but just make sure not letting heat soaked in as performance may drop, that’s true:ktuner or hondata could do. But I’m more into the intake sound, love it .

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
You mean the K&N drop in Panel filter ? Isn’t that the stage one air intake step?

Ah yeah that’s what I’ve learnt, short ram intake offers louder or sharper blow off, but just make sure not letting heat soaked in as performance may drop, that’s true:ktuner or hondata could do. But I’m more into the intake sound, love it .
No, i'm talking full "cold air" intakes, there's several like afe, aem, that have dry cone filters, no oiling necessary.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Modding the exhaust depends partly on the car model, unless you're going custom, then it just depends what you're looking for specifically.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I would say both mods (intake and cat back exhausts) on these cars are pretty much for sound and personal preference. In fact, some intakes will likely hurt performance compared to OEM so you have to consider that.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
I have the 2.0l and
the muffler delete and AEM short ram intake sounds really good.

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
No, i'm talking full "cold air" intakes, there's several like afe, aem, that have dry cone filters, no oiling necessary.
Ah. That’s pretty good to choose a dry cone filters over the re-oiling type like K&N . Not sure if no oiling necessary does the good filtering job

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Modding the exhaust depends partly on the car model, unless you're going custom, then it just depends what you're looking for specifically.
I prefer the quietest muffler ever because OEM exhaust pipe is just weird

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
I would say both mods (intake and cat back exhausts) on these cars are pretty much for sound and personal preference. In fact, some intakes will likely hurt performance compared to OEM so you have to consider that.
Some people suggested me to just have the panel filter replaced for better response and as for exhaust I may not going for catback rather an axel back. Yet I’m having hard time looking upon a silent one because I knew whenever OEM muffler changed it will be getting noisier

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
I have the 2.0l and
the muffler delete and AEM short ram intake sounds really good.
Should be even more apparent since the muffler was removed . Yeah I like the intake sound but I was hang on taking into consideration with my daily drive use
Sponsored