Ideal suspension mods for canyon carving?

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hey all, it's bonus time and I'm considering what to upgrade suspension-wise to make the car more fun to drive on the road. So far I have Titan-7s with PS4S, a RMM insert, and rigid chassis collars. I was considering the Whiteline grip kit (springs + sways + sway links) along with their Anti-lift kit as this seems like a nice, entry-level suspension mod that doesn't drastically lower the ride height. Also there's the option of coilovers -- the local shop is the NA vendor for the Extend coilovers (1-way adjustable, and they felt really nice on the car I test drove). I'm curious as to what might be more recommended suspension mods for a street-oriented setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I am definitely tempted to keep it simple and stock.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I already paid for top-shelf, big corporate R&D suspension tuning when I got my car. I'm not smart enough to better it... although I have plenty of money that vendors are willing to take from me for "better" solutions. One thing about suspension, you can't just start messing around and slap some springs on, or change the shocks, etc. ALL the components in the entire system work together, and if you have a definite characteristic that you're looking for and understand all the dynamics involved in each component, then you make changes to accomplish that goal. If you're just lowering the car, or putting on stiffer springs, you are compromising the system.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
Several of the track guys on IG have said it took months of suspension tuning to make the car faster than stock. Even with high end coilovers and other mods it is not easy. Personally I have only put spacers on just because I could not stand how it looked with the stock offsets.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
In my humble opinion, you should try to address the problem that you're trying to solve. What is the stock suspension doing/not doing for you. I'm disregarding things that tighten up the car, such as rigid collars, etc. Strictly speaking about the dampers, springs, etc. that can really screw up the car if you get it wrong.

Here's a picture of my front tires (rotated them to the rear) after a track day. As you can see, the outer edge is pretty warn down, and in drastic need of camber. Personally, this is where I would start because it's a problem relative to me.

Another personal note: I typically will make suspension changes when I get my lap times to come close to, match, or best some of the faster guys. Typically they have already done suspension mods. My goal is to become a better driver, and I'll make changes when I plateau. It's a tough game when I want to do things for cosmetic reasons, and they happen to be a big part of how the car performs (suspension mods).

Be careful with those cyclists up in the mountains. Good luck, happy modding!

Honda Civic 10th gen Ideal suspension mods for canyon carving? 3PsAbrc

OP
OP

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
In my humble opinion, you should try to address the problem that you're trying to solve. What is the stock suspension doing/not doing for you. I'm disregarding things that tighten up the car, such as rigid collars, etc. Strictly speaking about the dampers, springs, etc. that can really screw up the car if you get it wrong.

Here's a picture of my front tires (rotated them to the rear) after a track day. As you can see, the outer edge is pretty warn down, and in drastic need of camber. Personally, this is where I would start because it's a problem relative to me.

Another personal note: I typically will make suspension changes when I get my lap times to come close to, match, or best some of the faster guys. Typically they have already done suspension mods. My goal is to become a better driver, and I'll make changes when I plateau. It's a tough game when I want to do things for cosmetic reasons, and they happen to be a big part of how the car performs (suspension mods).

Be careful with those cyclists up in the mountains. Good luck, happy modding!
That's a good point -- I suppose what I'm looking for then are things to tighten up the car. However, I'm only on street tires so I'm not sure I have a strong case for chassis bracing. My original idea was just to make the car more eager to turn in but without spinning.

OP
OP

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Again, I'm not trying to be faster -- just subjectively more fun to drive all around.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Again, I'm not trying to be faster -- just subjectively more fun to drive all around.
That Whiteline kit might be something you'd enjoy. You can even get away with springs and rear swaybar only to get the rotation that you're after.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Hey all, it's bonus time and I'm considering what to upgrade suspension-wise to make the car more fun to drive on the road. So far I have Titan-7s with PS4S, a RMM insert, and rigid chassis collars. I was considering the Whiteline grip kit (springs + sways + sway links) along with their Anti-lift kit as this seems like a nice, entry-level suspension mod that doesn't drastically lower the ride height. Also there's the option of coilovers -- the local shop is the NA vendor for the Extend coilovers (1-way adjustable, and they felt really nice on the car I test drove). I'm curious as to what might be more recommended suspension mods for a street-oriented setup.
Honestly, you just need some seat time on a track; "upgrade" yourself.

Take that bonus and buy some lapping time with an instructor. You'll realize quickly just how capable the car is compared to yourself.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I totally get what you are looking to get from your R. On my Type R I have the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, as well as various Ultra Racing Chassis stiffening mods, and a 26mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar. I need to install the front sway bar (will be happening during this winter), without the front sway bar my rear sway bar makes the back end of the car kick out during hard cornering on a track. Its a love hate relationship, because it completely changes the way a FWD car is supposed to react to hard cornering, making it more tail happy than various 450+ HP RWD cars I have driven on the track. I do enjoy sliding my Type R around the track, and having my passengers question how this FWD car reacts like this, but ultimately it is hindering my lap times, hence why the front sway bar is going on. My colleague Humza on his Blue Si recently installed the front sway bar, and it is truly incredibly stable and well balanced, which my R is lacking with the rear sway bar alone. If you decide to go with the grip kit, you will not look back. After installing the front and rear sway bar as well as the lowering springs will completely change the dynamic of your car for the better. Pair that with the anti lift kit, your car will be coming out of corners harder than ever, and more stable than ever with very little body roll. We have the Grip Kit listed on our website, you can find it here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-grip-series-kit

I see you are from Vancouver, I absolutely love British Colombia, I actually drove my Type R from Toronto to Vancouver Island during the summer! Trip of a lifetime! :)

OP
OP

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I totally get what you are looking to get from your R. On my Type R I have the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, as well as various Ultra Racing Chassis stiffening mods, and a 26mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar. I need to install the front sway bar (will be happening during this winter), without the front sway bar my rear sway bar makes the back end of the car kick out during hard cornering on a track. Its a love hate relationship, because it completely changes the way a FWD car is supposed to react to hard cornering, making it more tail happy than various 450+ HP RWD cars I have driven on the track. I do enjoy sliding my Type R around the track, and having my passengers question how this FWD car reacts like this, but ultimately it is hindering my lap times, hence why the front sway bar is going on. My colleague Humza on his Blue Si recently installed the front sway bar, and it is truly incredibly stable and well balanced, which my R is lacking with the rear sway bar alone. If you decide to go with the grip kit, you will not look back. After installing the front and rear sway bar as well as the lowering springs will completely change the dynamic of your car for the better. Pair that with the anti lift kit, your car will be coming out of corners harder than ever, and more stable than ever with very little body roll. We have the Grip Kit listed on our website, you can find it here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-grip-series-kit

I see you are from Vancouver, I absolutely love British Colombia, I actually drove my Type R from Toronto to Vancouver Island during the summer! Trip of a lifetime! :)
Hey thanks for the thorough reply. I'm curious -- I was planning on just the Whiteline 22mm rear swaybar. Will this one be too aggressive to go without the 27mm front swaybar, or should I do both?

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Hey thanks for the thorough reply. I'm curious -- I was planning on just the Whiteline 22mm rear swaybar. Will this one be too aggressive to go without the 27mm front swaybar, or should I do both?
Hey there! No problem whatsoever happy to help :) Doing the 22mm and putting the endlinks in the softer setting will be no where near aggressive without the front sway bar. This will allow for your car to feel more stable on turn ins without spinning the car out. Humza was running the 22mm rear on his Si for most of the season last year before upgrading to the 26mm rear and 27mm front, no issues. Nothing like my R with the 26mm alone. We also offer the 22mm by itself, you can find it here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-sway-bar-rear-22mm?_pos=1&_sid=dc7caf1e4&_ss=r
Let me know if you have any other questions :)

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Front swaybar is a waste of money, the front is more than stiff enough. Go with the RSB if you want a little more rotation. There's a reason that people that AutoX only run a RSB.
Sponsored