I work at a Honda dealership...

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
But why would you say you have a better experience at BMW stores?
I think it's the Sales managers that are the worst. It's their job to be the closer on a deal where they may not be making a lot of money on a sale. They'll try to sell you they're inflated financing or extending warranty thats also been marked way up. I've test driven civics lately and had to shake hands with two of these guys before leaving. Both times I felt they were kind if sleezy . The salesmen though seemed very laid back and pleasant.
Sponsored

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
So sounds to me that SoCal dealerships and TrueCar & Edmunds pricing is very accurate. It may not be as accurate in other areas but it works really well here
I used edmunds. Edmunds gave me quotes, but then the dealers themselves gave me lower price than edmunds' by at least $1000.

I would definitely recommend everyone to not settle with edmunds' quote.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CiviC EX W/Sensing '16, Integra '98
Country flag
Here is what happens (a bit drama version of my experience): I get quote from True Car, say for dealer 1 and dealer 2.
Dealer 1 gave a lower price about $500

let's move on [assuming not one budged from the true car price].....

Dealer 1: Oh, I have put a lot of extras. The floor mats and the trunk liner is $699 add on. Another is the wheel lock $199 and the nitrogen in the tire (which is really not very important, it is not a racing car, not even a turbo) is $ 100. And, my dealership charges a document fee of $499.

Dealer 2: Floor mats and trunk liner are $400, wheel locks are $150, my documentation fee is $300. Your tire is inflated with air (which is ~80% Nitrogen ;) )

I know, no one wants to grab a calculator while reading these thread. Let me do the math...

Though, dealer 1 quoted lower price of $500, his add-on and documentation fee is on the higher side.

Eventually,
I would pay ~$1500 more than the true car estimate at dealer 1.
I would have to pay $850 more at dealer 2.

The Truecar may show dealer 1 is willing to sell me at $500 less than the other one. But, if I got to the other guy, I will save $150.

See, originally dealer 1 quoted lower on true car, but it will be costlier at the end to the consumer.

Verdict: Truecar is not useless, it is a good tool. However, you cannot entirely depend on it....

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I am also a sale associate for Honda, and I could only get to the second page before I couldn't read anymore. The OP is far from professional, which is a must in my opinion, and seems to be far from helpful as well. If you are not at least helpful, then there is no point in the dealership having you. It irks me that all these sales people are not help to the customer. That is what we are here for, just because you can get most of the information online doesn't mean the customer should have to.

I also understand that 99% of customers don't care about hp numbers ad tires and whatnot, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't know it. I may only use 20% of the information about a car during a deal, but I dam well better know 100% just in case. Maybe it is just because I am a car enthusiast, but I feel we are obligated to know everything about these cars that we sell, if not, what are we getting paid for?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CiviC EX W/Sensing '16, Integra '98
Country flag
I am also a sale associate for Honda, and I could only get to the second page before I couldn't read anymore. The OP is far from professional, which is a must in my opinion, and seems to be far from helpful as well. If you are not at least helpful, then there is no point in the dealership having you. It irks me that all these sales people are not help to the customer. That is what we are here for, just because you can get most of the information online doesn't mean the customer should have to.

I also understand that 99% of customers don't care about hp numbers ad tires and whatnot, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't know it. I may only use 20% of the information about a car during a deal, but I dam well better know 100% just in case. Maybe it is just because I am a car enthusiast, but I feel we are obligated to know everything about these cars that we sell, if not, what are we getting paid for?
A car enthusiast can be an awesome salesman! :dance:

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
I went to my local Honda dealership last Sunday to look at hatchbacks while they were closed and I didn't have to get the hard sell. Every single hatchback has an additional sticker attached to the manufacturer one that adds ~$800 mudflaps, a ~$600 "appearance package", and a market added value of $1000. Every. Single. One. And the problem is that 1. Half of the cars did not even have mudflaps on them, including all of the Sport models which if I understand correctly *can't* have mudflaps due to the underbody panels on them. 2. There is no appearance package for the hatchback that I'm aware of... everyone looked *exactly* like the stock photos of every hatchback I see. 3. I don't agree with market added value over MSRP, but at least they aren't outright LYING with this one. All the additional money they want should have been under this line item. I feel like these guys are complete crooks and I'm really hesitant to deal with them at all.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I went to my local Honda dealership last Sunday to look at hatchbacks while they were closed and I didn't have to get the hard sell. Every single hatchback has an additional sticker attached to the manufacturer one that adds ~$800 mudflaps, a ~$600 "appearance package", and a market added value of $1000. Every. Single. One. And the problem is that 1. Half of the cars did not even have mudflaps on them, including all of the Sport models which if I understand correctly *can't* have mudflaps due to the underbody panels on them. 2. There is no appearance package for the hatchback that I'm aware of... everyone looked *exactly* like the stock photos of every hatchback I see. 3. I don't agree with market added value over MSRP, but at least they aren't outright LYING with this one. All the additional money they want should have been under this line item. I feel like these guys are complete crooks and I'm really hesitant to deal with them at all.
That's the feeling I get in Iowa. Scumbag thugs working at the dealerships.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
Truecar is good if the market demands it. Look for a "destination" store. One that isn't one on a major highway
my dealer is not one many people drive by and see. so our price is aggressive

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
Yea its a bunch BS and its their way of saying "well we can take 2500 off of the dealer posted price"

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I would run. Seriously. If they are acting like that I would run in a heartbeat. Mud flaps are 75$ on our cars and the sport can't have them. No appearance package available. I could sell you a hatch at $300 under msrp and then get it shipped to you. Still be cheaper than working with them.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
The most valuable things about TrueCar, IMO, are the local and national graphs of actual sales, not the "guaranteed discount" they offer. While getting offers, I knew the biggest discounts for quite a number of local sales. With the right negotiating strategy, you can easily do better than the TrueCar average selling price and even the TrueCar discount. In the end, no dealer could beat my best offer and I was very close to the bottom of the local graph. That's when I felt I had done the best I could. Use TrueCar as one tool.

Last edited:

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
I had to LOL at the sales rep on more $$ on the pilot. I was going to go with a EX-L pilot (part because the 9 speed transmission in them is terrible on the touring and elite models) and I was priced 550 over invoice, but had to go smaller due to finances getting messed up. maybe in 3 years (car will be paid off in 18 months) to be frank, I didn't have much of an idea on invoice for the hatchback or how much folks paid, even here, because so few of us hatchback actually exist on the internet talking. Id know, ive searched quite a few forums. I felt anything over 1500 was a deal and given my color combo wasn't exactly out there, I didn't have much of a choice.

but thing for sure, the sales rep here reminds me of so many sales reps at the Honda,toyota, chevy, levels. I got better treatment from reps at BMW, AUdi, Carmax (yes, I did buy a new Toyota from CarMax) than I ever have from a Honda/Toyota/low end common cars. I did find a decent dealership and bought the car at what I felt was a decent deal on a hard to get car in the color I wanted.

ps: the finance manager DID mention to us how we were paying less than true car across our area. I find that part funny.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
I'm not saying the car sucks I'm just saying the EX-T is a stronger more durable engine. the LX-EX had problems right when they came out but it was a quick recall. The touring model which is the highest package is only available in the 1.5T because its better. Same reason why the hatchback is only available in a turbo. Also I'm not here to represent a dealership or make sales I'm just putting in my input because I know both sides of it.
From another dealer employee perspective, do not float that line down the stream. We have no long term durability tests on the entirely new platform that is the 1.5T. The 2.0L recall was based on installation error from the factory, and not a design/longevity issue from the platform. Id say the base 2.0VTEC platform is thoroughly tried and true, and this is coming from an EX-T owners perspective. I just don't believe you should call a spade a spade, when most owners haven't even hit the end of their B2B yet.

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
I just purchased my sport w/ manurl trans I thought for sure since these were just hitting the lots. I found one online listed with no pictured and immediately clicked on the get "e-price" within and hour I received a email with the price about 750 off MSRP including destination. Went test drove showed the dealer a offer another dealer presented to me via email and they said they couldn't match it. I went to walk and the manager said what can we do, I said simply I don't need a new car I want one but I'm not going to pay more when I can save another 800 and just wait a week for the other car to show up. I ended up paying 1550 less than MSRP with destination included. Probably not the best deal in the world, but for a car just hitting the lots(at least in my area) I feel I did pretty darn good. I really like the car can't wait to get it cleaned up and the paint sealed so I can start driving it. The deals are out there just have to be patient and ready to walk if the dealership is trying to yank you around.

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
I just purchased my sport w/ manurl trans I thought for sure since these were just hitting the lots. I found one online listed with no pictured and immediately clicked on the get "e-price" within and hour I received a email with the price about 750 off MSRP including destination. Went test drove showed the dealer a offer another dealer presented to me via email and they said they couldn't match it. I went to walk and the manager said what can we do, I said simply I don't need a new car I want one but I'm not going to pay more when I can save another 800 and just wait a week for the other car to show up. I ended up paying 1550 less than MSRP with destination included. Probably not the best deal in the world, but for a car just hitting the lots(at least in my area) I feel I did pretty darn good. I really like the car can't wait to get it cleaned up and the paint sealed so I can start driving it. The deals are out there just have to be patient and ready to walk if the dealership is trying to yank you around.
I once got quotes on my Matrix in 2008 from 8 different dealers. I finally settled for a very low price but could have went even lower if I had more time.Be happy with what you feel is a good deal and forget about how others feel about the final price . I'm happy for you:beer:
Sponsored