I work at a Honda dealership...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
I work in sales at a honda dealership and I'll leave the name out of this for now. I'm sitting here bored reading some of these forums about pricing and you all are giving yourselves headaches. Its really not hard at all to make sure you are getting a good deal. Truecar is really a good tool. It updates and counts the people in your area and puts them in a margin of how much they paid. Im seeing people on here comparing pricing from other areas of the US. pricing is different everywhere. Try using truecar with a different zip code and you'll see. I saw someone saying that they should aim to get a touring civic 23k otd like what? You walk into my dealership and say that we would stop wasting time with you and tell you to come back when you have a serious offer. Thats a joke. Like i said look up pricing on truecar...edmunds...kbb...Its all out there. Make your life and easy and make the salespersons life easy. 9/10 times we aren't making money either way. The only car we really make money on is the Pilot and by making money its usually like $400. most of the time we make what is called a "mini" at that would be like $75-125 depending on where you work. I personally go to school and work and the last thing I want to do is go back and forth over a dumb price. I'd rather see you leave happy and continue studying for my finals. Thanks and hope this sheds some light on the car business.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So let me ask you something. Considering how you've probably sifted through the 'what did you pay' thread, are the people in the SoCal area getting pricing that similar to TrueCar or what your dealer would do right off the bat where the thread would actually be a headache? Or are all the quotes you're seeing more aggressive and less expensive than what someone who didn't see the thread would get justifying the thread's existence?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I work in sales at a honda dealership and I'll leave the name out of this for now. I'm sitting here bored reading some of these forums about pricing and you all are giving yourselves headaches. Its really not hard at all to make sure you are getting a good deal. Truecar is really a good tool. It updates and counts the people in your area and puts them in a margin of how much they paid. Im seeing people on here comparing pricing from other areas of the US. pricing is different everywhere. Try using truecar with a different zip code and you'll see. I saw someone saying that they should aim to get a touring civic 23k otd like what? You walk into my dealership and say that we would stop wasting time with you and tell you to come back when you have a serious offer. Thats a joke. Like i said look up pricing on truecar...edmunds...kbb...Its all out there. Make your life and easy and make the salespersons life easy. 9/10 times we aren't making money either way. The only car we really make money on is the Pilot and by making money its usually like $400. most of the time we make what is called a "mini" at that would be like $75-125 depending on where you work. I personally go to school and work and the last thing I want to do is go back and forth over a dumb price. I'd rather see you leave happy and continue studying for my finals. Thanks and hope this sheds some light on the car business.
Truecar is a tool, not necessarily a good one. Our EX was purchased at $1K under the best quoted Truecar price within Northern California. I agree that 9/10 times you get the customer from hell, who just wants to argue about pricing till the cows come home. In my experience, I had to go through 14 dealers before I found one that was straightforward with pricing, etc. So you see, it goes both ways. Welcome to the forum & hopefully you can get hooked up with some potential buyers here for your dealership.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TrueCar is nearly $1,200 over what I paid, in December, one month after they came out. I never checked TrueCar, all I did was take the dealer's pricing (high-volume dealer just outside DC) + negotiated a bit. First dealer I went to when I was seriously ready to buy. No hassle.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I'm not certain you have all the profit information necessary to make the statement you just did, I hardly believe the owner would truthfully discuss this subject with you a young college student retail sales person. roflmao. Let me ask you your dollar value estimate of the buildings and property of the company you work for? your profit outline wouldn't cover the insurance premiums!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Mazda Miata, Honda Pilot
Country flag
I'm not certain you have all the profit information necessary to make the statement you just did, I hardly believe the owner would truthfully discuss this subject with you a young college student retail sales person. roflmao. Let me ask you your dollar value estimate of the buildings and property of the company you work for? your profit outline wouldn't cover the insurance premiums!
I think the original poster was describing the commission the sales person makes, not the profit the dealer makes on a sale.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I think he meant sales commission, not dealer profit, which is much higher like you said.

Truecar is useful as a worst case price.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love the mature user id of "forumpricinglol". Seriously, that sort of behavior and lack of maturity is something I would expect out of a 19 year old freshmen in college. If you really wanted to get the point across that the pricing discussion thread was useless I would have done it in a different way. Your method just screams immature, brash and impatient.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Joshua.. Not sure where you came up with 19 year old freshman in college but sorry I hurt you in such a way. I thought the way I brought up the point was pretty straightforward. It shows how close minded you are as a person that out of the paragraph I wrote you determined that my username was the most important. And I actually didn't insult anyone at all so I was very mature not brash and very patient because I was looking for responses where you decided to talk shit instead. If you would like to reply with something more useful please do otherwise start a thread "I judge people on usernames"

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
So let me ask you something. Considering how you've probably sifted through the 'what did you pay' thread, are the people in the SoCal area getting pricing that similar to TrueCar or what your dealer would do right off the bat where the thread would actually be a headache? Or are all the quotes you're seeing more aggressive and less expensive than what someone who didn't see the thread would get justifying the thread's existence?
I'd say the pricing we do is very similar to Truecar sometimes maybe a less depending on the car's age on our lot. But it is very accurate because it shows even buyers that paid less than that and tracks it by how many people paid that.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Truecar is a tool, not necessarily a good one. Our EX was purchased at $1K under the best quoted Truecar price within Northern California. I agree that 9/10 times you get the customer from hell, who just wants to argue about pricing till the cows come home. In my experience, I had to go through 14 dealers before I found one that was straightforward with pricing, etc. So you see, it goes both ways. Welcome to the forum & hopefully you can get hooked up with some potential buyers here for your dealership.
Let me ask are you from Northern California?? And did you buy it in the same zip code you entered into Truecar? I feel bad that you had to deal with 14 dealerships that sounds awful. We're very straightforward with our pricing and dont add anything onto our cars. If it makes sense on a business stand point we will do the deal. I've never come across a quote that was really that much less than ours as long as it was a quote from this county. Customers have brought LA pricing before but we can't sell cars for that price.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Asshole customers and asshole dealerships are a dime a dozen.

It's the decent ones (both customers and salespeople) that have to sift through the shit, unfortunately.

But, such is the game.

Unless you're buying/selling a Tesla of course.
COMPLETELY AGREE.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
So sounds to me that SoCal dealerships and TrueCar & Edmunds pricing is very accurate. It may not be as accurate in other areas but it works really well here
Sponsored