I will never buy a HONDA again!

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
I owned this car for 1.5 months and I got 6650 miles. This has been the worst car I have owned from the owner satisfaction point. The car is CHEAP, feels less solid than my Lancer that everyone bashed but it is quieter. Writing is not my forte so I will do a bullet list of issues that I find atrocious!

1. I have issues with the shifter not going into gears. At times have to shift to other gears to get it in.
2. Right rear door makes the noise that some reported and I am certain is the weather stripping since the body gaps are not consistent and weather strip is too thin to seal
3. Around 4k my car just died, like power loss and the whole dash went haywire but came back as I continued driving. It happened while in ACC and going from 5th to 6th by pressing the clutch.
4. Steering input is not precises as in turning left is quicker then going right, also my center is off even after a good will alignment and specs seem ok! Might be an issue with the electric power steering
5. I feel the lane keep assist is never off since it feels like it tries to engage but realizes it should be off
6. Car feels like 1 year old and less solid after just 6650 miles
7. No one can't tell me the oil change interval and points me to the dash gauge ever after I told them I reset it to default after the car died. Even Honda NA HQ is just as idiotic.
8. Why the AC has to be on all the time even if not needed be? You have to turn it off! No wonder they fail so fast!
9. Hill assist and brake hold fight each other, Parking brake used to disengage automatically when going forward, now only from reversing!
10. MPG is good at 33-34 avg for me but the ECO is useless and the dash MPG is a joke!
11. sorting of mp3s based on time/date created on the usb? What?

I wanted to like this car but between the issue I have, arrogance and idiocy from dealer I am not going to dive again into Honda family. I usually pay no mind to the kinds of Consumer Reports or Scotty Kilmer but they seem to be right, Honda is going downhill, and is sad since my moto was just amazing!

I did own 33 cars before most new and never had this issues on a brand new car!

So can anyone have an idea on the the oil change interval is? or maintenance interval? Is this below something I should follow?

What is the Honda Civic Maintenance Schedule?
The Honda maintenance schedule for the Civic is only slightly different from, say, the Accord. This schedule starts at 7,500 miles all the way up to 120,000 miles. See the services performed as well as the in-between mile markers you’ll need to bring your Civic in for.

• 7,500 – 22,500 – 37,500 – 52,500 – 67,500 – 82,500 miles – During these mileage markers, you’ll need to bring your vehicle in for the following: Oil and filter change, brake inspection, lubricate throttle linkage, check and replace fluids, inspect tires and tire pressure, and rotate tires.
  • 15,000 – 45,000 – 75,000 – 105,000 miles – Here, your vehicle will need the above services as well as the following: lubrication of chassis and hinges, replace oil drain plug, rotate and balance wheels, inspect undercarriage, inspect shocks, check and adjust clutch pedal, inspect A/C and heater operation, service transmission, check park brake, inspect lights, steering systems, fuel systems, replace spark plugs, inspect differential oil, inspect steering gear box, steering wheel, inspect brake linings, replace windshield wipers, re-torque drive shaft bolt, lubricate all hinges, replace air conditioning filter.
  • 30,000 – 60,000 – 90,000 – 120,000 miles – As all of the services and checks above will be performed again, your Civic will also need: service PCV valve, service battery and clean cables, replace differential oil, inspect fuel tank cap gasket, inspect fuel lines and connections, inspect transfer case oil, inspect air elements, check all exterior and interior lamps, lubricate propeller shaft, lubricate wheel bearings, road test and quality control, propeller shaft flex coupling inspection, and inspect battery and clean terminals.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I'd wager the first oil change should be done around 7.5K miles. No one can tell you for sure since the computer calculates it based on your driving conditions. For reference, my first change was done around 8500 miles, but I drive mostly back roads w/ little stop and go traffic. Maybe 20% highway.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Your maintenance schedule is based on what your car's Maintenance Minder codes (A or B + a number) tell you.

Honda Civic 10th gen I will never buy a HONDA again! IMG_20200120_180106

Last edited:

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
As others have said, the onboard computer determines when your maintenance is to be done. If you do a lot of short in-town trips, you will get a lot less miles until your oil changes than you do if you do a lot of highway miles. I get only 1,500 miles per oil change because I only do short trips. Some get more than 10,000 miles per oil change because they do long trips. Basically, every time you cold start your car, you are one cold start closer to needing maintenance. Group your errands together to stretch your oil changes out.

And yes, Honda's quality is not anywhere near as good as it was 20+ years ago.
Next time, get a Toyota. I know that I will.

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Posts like these make me wonder if my standards are just that low. Or is there really that big of a problem with quality control at honda? Aside from rattles in early models, most people either have terrible problems or they love the car without issue. Interesting.

OP
OP

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
As others have said, the onboard computer determines when your maintenance is to be done. If you do a lot of short in-town trips, you will get a lot less miles until your oil changes than you do if you do a lot of highway miles. I get only 1,500 miles per oil change because I only do short trips. Some get more than 10,000 miles per oil change because they do long trips. Basically, every time you cold start your car, you are one cold start closer to needing maintenance. Group your errands together to stretch your oil changes out.

And yes, Honda's quality is not anywhere near as good as it was 20+ years ago.
Next time, get a Toyota. I know that I will.

Dude! My issues is not with understudying the damn display. Is getting info or estimate on what would be a average maintenance that dealer or Honda hq would not say. After all my damn onboard was reset. also resetting car settings is idiotic to reset maintainable items. Should be another wat!

Hypothetically speaking. If the minder breaks means I never have to do maintenance?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Dude! My issues is not with understudying the damn display. Is getting info or estimate on what would be a average maintenance that dealer or Honda hq would not say. After all my damn onboard was reset. also resetting car settings is idiotic to reset maintainable items. Should be another wat!

Hypothetically speaking. If the minder breaks means I never have to do maintenance?
Assuming that the dealer reset your Maintenance Minder after an oil change, you should be able to check what % of life that the oil has left before it needs to be changed again. In the cars with the TFT Dash screen (You don't have this if you have an American LX Coupe, Hatch or Sedan), you just hit the "I" button on your steering wheel, then scroll over to the Wrench and enter. It will tell you the % of oil life left. Your car should have something similar. Look it up in your user's manual.

Regardless, unless you drive mostly very short trips, 5,000 miles per oil change should be more than sufficient on the 2 litre motor. Doing frequent oil changes is not as critical on the 2.0 litre engine as on the 1.5T since it is port injected and naturally aspirated.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, when you joined a month ago, you posted this:
Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that I am new to the Honda world and this is my friend Honda after a ton of Mazda, Mitsu and Toyotas.

Got a 2020 Civic LX 6spd

I am impressed how it drive in terms of quite ride, handling and composure. Even more so then my Lancer SE and some MazdaSpeeds I had.

Impressed also with the mpg so far getting 35+

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/remusrm

attachment.jpg

IMG-20191205-WA0007.jpeg
Sorry your car apparently just turned to shit on its own in the past month. What did the dealer do/say when you brought everything to their attention?

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
4) There was a thread recently where someone had some weird steering issues where the behavior wasn't the same when going left vs. right. I can't find it at the moment though.

7) It seems most people were getting the maintenance minder for their first oil change at around 8k miles or so (unless you do a lot of short trips which you are not doing), mine was at 8.6k. Some people say to not do the first oil change early since there are additives added for break in.

11) Seems to be a common issue with car stereo's. I use a program called DriveSort to change the sort order: https://www.techmadeplain.com/2014/how-to-sort-music-flash-drive-car-stereo/

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Is getting info or estimate on what would be a average maintenance that dealer or Honda hq would not say. After all my damn onboard was reset. also resetting car settings is idiotic to reset maintainable items. Should be another wat!

The dealer should have the answer maybe not for the average service, but for the most common service which would be an A1 or a B1. Each sub service number adds a different thing to replace, so adds a little cost. Ask the dealer how much a 2, 3, 4 etc sub service would cost individually. Each dealer also sets their own pricing so it might help to shop around.

As for the maintenance “breaking”, there’s a way to check the oil life through the maintenance minder to see a decrease over a period of time, depending on your drive cycle and driving habits. If you still feel the maintenance minder might break on you, I found this in the owner’s manual:
Honda Civic 10th gen I will never buy a HONDA again! 259820F6-4813-4BDC-9CFA-1A31E6D70984

I can’t zoom out far enough and still have it legible but basically if you don’t see a reminder, change the oil once a year. But at the very least have the dealer check out if the maintenance minder is truly working or not.
Sponsored