I was a manual for life

perkidddoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My first car was a 2005 Civic Si, second was a 2013 Honda Fit Sport 5 Speed, and third was a 2019 Honda Civic Si. I recently sold my Civic Si a month ago after a week of realizing that the car is worth a good amount of money in the used car market due the car shortage nationwide. I sold it, turned around and used the cash as a down payment for a Rav4 Hybrid for my fiancee.

For the time being, I'm commuting around in her 2011 Civic. This is a temporary car as this will get handed down to a family member in a few months but I've made great use of the time and test driven a few cars that were on my list and have considered owning. At this point I've driven numerous GTIs, a Golf R, Ford Fiesta ST, manual Corolla Hatchback, numerous manual Civic Hatchbacks, and Subaru WRX. As you can see the trend is a hatchback (minus the WRX) and preferably a manual. And out of all those cars, the Fiesta ST was the most fun, it's like my old Fit with a slightly more aggresive L15T engine.

You see, fresh off the Civic Si, I still wanted a fun to drive and manual car to commute in until I began commuting in this 10 year old automatic Civic. It's stress free in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and I'm less annoyed of the traffic because it's literally just gas/brake, gas/brake (dip, ghost ride the whip (ghost ride the whip)). You get the point, it's easy and takes one less worry when all you want to do is be home from work.

At this point, I'm also considering a Prius or a Corolla Hybrid. Yeah, a Prius, because it's an appliance to get from Point A to Point B and it does so with a droplet of gas. I've driven a few models at this point and it really gets a bad reputation from mostly drivers that has never driven one (including myself). I'll probably consider a manual as a second car in the future for those times when I purposely go out to drive just to drive and enjoy a manual car. But for now, with this different perspective, my next car in a few months will likely be an automatic.

oh and by the way, I'm not forever converted, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for the 11th gen hatch (manual) and the 11th gen Si hatch, if there really is one.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Made the same decision when i picked up my HB Sport. I had 2 manual cars through high school and college years and thought I would picked up a proper 5spd car again after i am done with school. and then realization kicked in. I work in accounting, after 8 hours of hardcore data crunching, a 5 spd is the last thing i want to deal with. Looking back 4 years later, that was a right decision for me.

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DD Civic Touring is a CVT… fun cars are both manuals.
I got me one of these shirts for good measure.

Honda Civic 10th gen I was a manual for life 02A0BA5A-D695-45C5-979C-BA7595360CC6

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have never had a personal daily driver that wasn't a manual. I've never regretted driving one either, even with the traffic around NoVA. Also, never had a clutch replaced in my three Si hatches ('84, '91, '03). Hoping the same for our '18 Civic Hatch. Just purchased a new (don't hate) Mazda 3 S Premium Hatchback with a 6MT. I just thoroughly enjoy a manual transmission car. I feel I'm actively taking part in the driving experience. Not for everyone I guess, but I am too old to change ;-) peter
Honda Civic 10th gen I was a manual for life 1629373592442
Sponsored