I want to mod my car. Where do i start?

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I have '17 in PMM and i think i'm more or less just bored and need something to do and look forward to. I've never modded a car before and am unsure what to start with. Is there a certain order these things should be done? exhaust? intercooler? downpipe? tuner? intake? do i need tuner first before anything else? I'm not going to be able to do everything all at once, but if i had a plan of attack, i can space these things out. but again, i'm a total noob and don't know what to start with. i wouldn't do the mods myself, probably go to evasive or something (i'm in socal) so the plan would be to save some money and take her in, rinse and repeat.

any tips and pointers and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have '17 in PMM and i think i'm more or less just bored and need something to do and look forward to. I've never modded a car before and am unsure what to start with. Is there a certain order these things should be done? exhaust? intercooler? downpipe? tuner? intake? do i need tuner first before anything else? I'm not going to be able to do everything all at once, but if i had a plan of attack, i can space these things out. but again, i'm a total noob and don't know what to start with. i wouldn't do the mods myself, probably go to evasive or something (i'm in socal) so the plan would be to save some money and take her in, rinse and repeat.

I always point people here first because its useful.
https://www.27won.com/blog/top-10-t...efore-you-start-to-modify-your-10th-gen-civic

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
That's a great read - but just start simple - get a Hondata and base tune then see how you feel. If you like where that is headed, see what the next step is for more power.

Just the tune will be a lot different for you. (from what I've read) I am still stock and happy for now.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I think it depends on your goals. What type of driving are you planning to do? Most people either go down the aesthetic route, or go for performance. Some want to address specific issues they have with the car, it all depends on what you want.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag

I would say before you do anything else, think about your goals for the car. Don't read anything on here before you do that - as a car enthusiast forum, you'll find all sorts of eye candy mod wise that may be tempting. Once you have an idea of what your goals are and what your budget is (trust me, it's a slippery slope), then start researching the best mods to reach that goal.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I always say to look and see if you find any deficiencies with the car. And modify to fix that.

As for what does and doesn't need a tune. Exhaust and intercooler can be done without a tune. Some intakes as well (most high-volume you're probably better doing an exhaust with). Everything else related to powertrain will need a tune of some sort.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
personally i would look first at suspension and wheels/tires first. Many benefits to downsizing from the stock 20"s.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best bang for the buck performance wise are a tune a d downpipe. I'd go carted (AFe) if you have to worry about emissions where you are as you won't get a CEL.

Outside of that clear or smoked markers and tint are some cheaper mods that will change the appearance a bit.

CTRKC

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi EVO
Country flag
Flashpro! The Hondata basemap adds a real nice bump in power and is well worth the $$! great bang for your buck.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello onions,
I was also a total mod n00b when I started a little over a year ago.

If interested, here is my build thread with detailed step by step DIY here.

I’m abit OCD so it’s a lot to take in, but the mods were posted in the order they were installed. However it’s a good resource to refer to and there’s a table of contents at the bottom of the first post with clickable links by each mod. If opt for other mod brands, the install concepts should be the same.

If you are able to save $$$ on installation costs, that makes more $$$ available for more mods ;)

If interested in learning to DIY, hit me up. I’m in SoCal also :)

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
on every car, i usually lower the car and get wheels and tires first.

then do intake, intercooler, exhaust and finally a tune.

if you want the most cost effective gains though, get a tuning unit.

There are a lot of modifications that you should be able to install yourself or with the help of other owners. Those labor cost would add up very quick and could save you quite a bit of money if you DIY in the long run.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I dd my car, at least I used to until the pandemic hit. now it sits in my garage mostly but i do take it out every now and let her breathe. overall i'm pretty happy with the way it is now. I know people complain about tires and wheels but honestly i don't mind that stuff; i actually like the rims. I don't track my car or drive crazy or want to get hp gains but would like to have a little more splash under the hood. i'll give that first thread a read.

@fatherpain i'll read your post too. i may hit you up on dm with some questions or a meet up.

some friends were suggesting starting with something i can do myself, like a bolt on; either a downpipe or exhaust. sounds intimidating tbh but maybe i just need to get over myself and try it.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want more power right off the bat get a ktuner or hondata. You don't need any bolt ons to benefit from it.
Sponsored