skamikaze1983

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Guys and gals,

I'm a new Civic owner. Just bought an 18 hatchback ex 1.5 turbo CVT.

What can I do to get that throttle response and quick launch that gives me the thrown back in the seat feeling?

I've researched Hondata Flashpro, but I have my concerns about engine wear and tear. Should I just be looking at getting a tune? Actual hardware modifications? Intake? Exhaust?

I'm not going to race, and I do mainly light city driving and the occasional interstate trip. I just want to feel the G's when I accelerate.

I'm very new to all of this. Thanks so much for your wisdom!

-Travis
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ktuner or Flashpro are your best bet. Although don't expect super quick launches with a CVT.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner or Flashpro are your best bet. Although don't expect super quick launches with a CVT.
/end thread

You can have fun with the CVT but you are limited regarding the torque you can safely run through it.

OP
OP

skamikaze1983

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like- if I'm getting on the highway and I need to be able to quickly accelerate and get on....I want to "feel" it...know what I mean? Will ktuner or Flashpro do this for me? With flashpro, I'm looking at what people are saying about a +6 flash. Think I'm safe?

OP
OP

skamikaze1983

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it even work doing an intake, exhaust, etc. on a CVT?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it even work doing an intake, exhaust, etc. on a CVT?
I've seen a similarly equipped equipped CVT car out run a 6MT car on top end due to the gearing and the way the stock turbo flows.

OP
OP

skamikaze1983

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen a similarly equipped equipped CVT car out run a 6MT car on top end due to the gearing and the way the stock turbo flows.
Any particular recommendations for first mods? Should I do intake first? Exhaust?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any particular recommendations for first mods? Should I do intake first? Exhaust?
An ECU tune is by far the best bang for your buck. Hondata or Ktuner. A quality cold air intake is probably what I'd do next on a CVT car. The PRL Cobra is my current favorite.

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
i run a ktuner v2 with catless dp and a stage 1 intake from prl. i can tell you its quick. definitely pushes you back in your seat, i keep it and sometimes even pull a little on stis. i dont launch tho. worst thing to do for your car

OP
OP

skamikaze1983

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i run a ktuner v2 with catless dp and a stage 1 intake from prl. i can tell you its quick. definitely pushes you back in your seat, i keep it and sometimes even pull a little on stis. i dont launch tho. worst thing to do for your car
Catless DP? What will this do for me? Like- do you have anything you can link? I'm interested. I don't know that much about cars, sorry.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Like- if I'm getting on the highway and I need to be able to quickly accelerate and get on....I want to "feel" it...know what I mean? Will ktuner or Flashpro do this for me? With flashpro, I'm looking at what people are saying about a +6 flash. Think I'm safe?
I used the conservative k-tuner stage-1 flash with +3 boost when I had my EX hatch and it gave me that feeling your looking for. Honestly it was unbelievable how much of a difference that flash made as far as the push you back feeling, not to mention made the car drive better all around. It "felt" faster than my new Si.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Yeah, slight lag in the CVT is noticeable, I sometimes forget when I get in my 2017 Pilot.....it takes off! :)

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Geez I cant wait to get my tune now reading the reviews above. I might try stage 1 first (Ktuner)

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Stock the Civic X does a good job. Very unHonda like. But after a +6psi reflash it will get up to speed fast. 30 to 85 happens very quickly.
Sponsored