I thought it was the turbo, then I heard a lot bird, now it becomes a construction site…..

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Today is my 4th day owing my 21 FK8. When I just took delivery, I can hear a faint hissing sound when let go of the gas. Initially I thought it was the turbo. Then when I drove thru bridge, concrete divider, or a tunnel, I can hear a lot birds. Today, it sounds like a circular saw cutting thru a steel tube. It turned out to be the brake. This brake squeal is really annoying, especially when turning at low speed. Apparently I’m not alone, many other members have reported similar issues before. Any fix here?
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Today is my 4th day owing my 21 FK8. When I just took delivery, I can hear a faint hissing sound when let go of the gas. Initially I thought it was the turbo. Then when I drove thru bridge, concrete divider, or a tunnel, I can hear a lot birds. Today, it sounds like a circular saw cutting thru a steel tube. It turned out to be the brake. This brake squeal is really annoying, especially when turning at low speed. Apparently I’m not alone, many other members have reported similar issues before. Any fix here?
When you let go of gas?? What about when you're braking??

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When you let go of gas?? What about when you're braking??
I think the faint hissing is always there but just masked by the engine noise. When I let go of gas and coast, I can hear it. As soon as I brake, it goes away. Pretty sure it’s the brake.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the faint hissing is always there but just masked by the engine noise. When I let go of gas and coast, I can hear it. As soon as I brake, it goes away. Pretty sure it’s the brake.
Hmm, and it's definitely not a scraping sound?

Your issue doesn't sound like the typical brake complaints to be honest. Everyone complains about squealing WHEN braking, not when they aren't braking.

How loud are we talking here? I don't know if I'd be too concerned if it's really quiet, might just be new car paranoia.

Issa noisey car.

Edit: could be a rock jammed in your pads.

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, and it's definitely not a scraping sound?

Your issue doesn't sound like the typical brake complaints to be honest. Everyone complains about squealing WHEN braking, not when they aren't braking.

How loud are we talking here? I don't know if I'd be too concerned if it's really quiet, might just be new car paranoia.

Issa noisey car.

Edit: could be a rock jammed in your pads.
Yeah. I think it might be something in there. But when I brake, even lightly, the squeal went away. Isn’t it going to be louder if something stuck in between?

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
You have a rock in the brakes bud. Annoying as F. Another reason why I'm on 18x9.5's.

It can make squeals, it can make hisses, it can make pops, pings, pongs, etc. I'll bet you there's a rock in there.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah. I think it might be something in there. But when I brake, even lightly, the squeal went away. Isn’t it going to be louder if something stuck in between?
If you have the ability to, I'd suggest taking the pads out and having a look. It's a fairly easy procedure.

I doubt it's this, but you could try pushing the dust shield pretty aggressively to see if anything falls out.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I drive over speed tables vigorously to free the rocks. Actually works most of the time.

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The wastegate actuator also emits a faint metallic hissing sound off throttle and coasting. That’s apparently normal. It does go away for me after the engine has warmed up.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I have a feeling its more of a wastegate sound. If you got a rock stuck in the shield, you will hear the sound even just rotating the wheel left & right at stop.
Sponsored