I think the LSD should be standard on all Civics

civicsenior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Don't suppose any of you guys promoting LSD ever thought of slowing down in the rain.
Sponsored

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Don't suppose any of you guys promoting LSD ever thought of slowing down in the rain.
have you ever driven in Mass? we have 55 mpg highways with uphill on-ramps with no merge lane. Our roads were designed by monkeys in the 1950s. So driving slow isn't always an option.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Can't you do the same putting your left foot on the brake pedal?

About the GTI/GLI, people hear electronically controlled and think the GTI doesn't have a mechanical LSD, but it does, that's all I meant.
But it applies the brake only to the slipping side. This way the other side will get more torque. If you apply the brake on both sides, the non-slipping side will also get more torque, but it will be partially cancelled by the brake.

Btw. GM had the Positraction (Posi-Trac) thingy, which was a form (cheaper, I guess) of LSD.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/what-is-positraction

Last edited:
OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But it applies the brake only to the slipping side. This way the other side will get more torque. I you apply the brake on both sides, the non-slipping side will also get more torque, but it will be partially cancelled by the brake.

Btw. GM had the Positraction (Posi-Trac) thingy, which was a form (cheaper, I guess) of LSD.

Yeah, ok, probably works fine in a passenger car or truck, but the last thing you'd want in a performance car is to have it riding one of the brakes when you're trying to put power down in a corner.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
But it applies the brake only to the slipping side. This way the other side will get more torque. I you apply the brake on both sides, the non-slipping side will also get more torque, but it will be partially cancelled by the brake.

Positraction is a real LSD. I don't know if it's cheaper than other types. It uses clutch packs & preload springs to press against the side gears inside the case that holds the spider gears. Back in the day, "Posi" was a generic term for a LSD and sort of didn't matter which make of car people were talking about. All the muscle cars had "Posi". With GM, a 12-bolt rear end with Posi was the hot setup & usually with a 4.10 ratio.

With the wheels off the ground if you turned one wheel forward the other side turned forward. No question about that.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
A lot of the BMW non-M performance cars don't have LSD and they're twice the cost of the Honda. It's just not necessary for majority of those buyers.

As someone mentioned earlier, you have to differentiate the higher trims from the lower trims. If you want the LSD, you're going to pay for it.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A lot of the BMW non-M performance cars don't have LSD and they're twice the cost of the Honda. It's just not necessary for majority of those buyers.

As someone mentioned earlier, you have to differentiate the higher trims from the lower trims. If you want the LSD, you're going to pay for it.
BMW doesn't need LSD on it's lower end models, now that it offers AWD. People worried about traction buy the AWD BMWs. Honda doesn't have AWD for the Civic, it wouldn't fit the goal of low cost and high MPG.

A lot of carmakers treat AWD like it's special too. Subaru has been the hottest carmaker by making AWD standard and marketing the crap out of it, Audi did that as well with Quattro. I'm suggesting Honda do the same with the LSD - I know it's thinking outside the box and there's always resistance to that.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
A lot of carmakers treat AWD like that too. Subaru has been the hottest carmaker by making AWD standard and marketing the crap out of it. I'm suggesting Honda do the same with the LSD - I know it's thinking outside the box and there's always resistance to that.
I think you’re gonna have a difficult time explaining to the average buyer what an LSD is.

The market is heading towards “e-awd” and it’s not slowing down anytime soon.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
have you ever driven in Mass? we have 55 mpg highways with uphill on-ramps with no merge lane. Our roads were designed by monkeys in the 1950s. So driving slow isn't always an option.
I grew up in Woburn, MA and can attest to the fact that our roads were, in fact, designed by monkeys.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Positraction is a real LSD. I don't know if it's cheaper than other types. It uses clutch packs & preload springs to press against the side gears inside the case that holds the spider gears. Back in the day, "Posi" was a generic term for a LSD and sort of didn't matter which make of car people were talking about. All the muscle cars had "Posi". With GM, a 12-bolt rear end with Posi was the hot setup & usually with a 4.10 ratio.

With the wheels off the ground if you turned one wheel forward the other side turned forward. No question about that.
Correct when I had my 83 mustang my brother installed a posi trac ( fords version) It definitely help the car on cornering

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Most of my previous few cars have either been all-wheel-drive or had an LSD (or both); I can't really say that I've missed it so far in my hatchback. I'm sure if I took it to the track I would, but I don't.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
2. I also tried driving in the rain in second gear in a straight line and standing on the gas. This would spin both tires in the Sport, but in the Si, you get much better traction.
LOL bro i spin all of 3rd in the rain with these shitty eagle sports....

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
LSD in any FWD creates one hell of a car in poor weather conditions. Prime example we lived in the mountains of Virginia in the early 2000’s. I ordered from my former employee a 2004 Ford Taurus Special Service Vehicle. Aka COP CAR. Loaded it up with everything and one unexpected option was a LSD for the FWD. Yes tires help but they are only as good as the driver and the car it’s self. With Firestone Winterforce tires little could stop that car. I could drive in 12-15 inches of snow and ice on gravel mountain roads while plow trucks got stuck. The LSD was a normal friction clutch unit. And I honestly miss the car a lot because it got use out of a lot of bad situations and bad weather. Put 204k on it in just 8 years. So yeah a LSD on the civic would be awesome. IMHO
I drove my 71 Mustang with limited slip rear end and 295/55/16 tires in Colorado snow a few times and it plowed through the snow like a champ using Dunlop All Season performance tires. Limited slip whether front wheel drive or rear wheel drive is a winner. It adds a level of extra maintenance and cost though. For snow goers it is great. For rain driving it helps too. But we are talking acceleration and top speed in inclement weather. Subaru has this market cornered and Colorado and northern New Mexico has thousands of Subaru fans and owners.

To the OP its a good suggestion but Honda is a bit obsessive about profit margins these days and ever since Soichiro Honda died so long ago...its not the same company. Profits dominate their minds. Plus they shoehorn buyers into a group and you have to accept whatever they decide goes with that car. There is no ala cart ordering what you want from the factory.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
2/3rd of the way toward AWD imo.
I disagree. Had you drove an AWD car on non dry/clean roads?
There is no comparison dude. Not even close.

I think you’re gonna have a difficult time explaining to the average buyer what an LSD is.

The market is heading towards “e-awd” and it’s not slowing down anytime soon.
This is right
Sponsored