I think the LSD should be standard on all Civics

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Just recently went from 2017 Sport hatch to 2020 Si, and the LSD gives you so much more grip in the rain, it moves the car 2/3rd of the way toward AWD imo. I think Honda should make it standard.

Do what Subaru does, emphasize the improved traction and safety, point out that you get improved traction without the loss in mpg and weight from AWD - come up with a stupid catchy name like Sport-trac and market the crap out of it.

Hope you're listening Honda.
Sponsored

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I wish mine had it. Turning left expeditiously in rainy weather is not advised.

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I disagree about making it standard across the board as it will raise the cost of any base model vehicles, as well as their mid-trim counterparts. That could be a make/break price point for a lot of owners. Especially where the hatchback is already slightly more expensive than the sedan.

That being said, there could be room for a SI Hatchback. Put enough SI features into the Hatchback, and it'll basically be a watered down TypeR. From a business point of view, that'll cannibalize from Honda's sales. But it's an intriguing idea that I would've paid up for.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si with stock Goodyears has much better rain traction than my Sport had with brand new Pilot A/S3+. Those were better rain tires.

I'm expecting similar improved results in the snow.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It seems like the LSD really only helps to put maximum power on the road in case of uneven traction. So it helps with maximum performance on uneven surface. What happens when accelerating hard on a good traction, clear, hard road with a crappy traction shoulders (wet grass, mud, sand, snow) when one wheel gets off the road, with a) regular open differential, b) LSD?

Below (Wikipedia) it says it does not improve cornering or steering feel. So I'm really not sure I would want it if not strictly track racing or driving on bad roads, snow/ice patches, etc.

"The torque difference is zero if the differential is frictionless, and limited slip differentials, intended to increase power transfer, actually make torque steer much worse. For this reason, limited slip differentials by automobile transmission manufacturers like Quaife, Torsen, TrueTrac, Gold Trac have not been much used until recently, and require other measures to be implemented, such as careful positioning of suspension pivot points and driveshaft CV joints, in order to keep the resultant torque steer to a manageable amount. Limited slip differentials do not improve cornering, or steering feel, however they will improve power transfer in situations where one wheel experiences limited adhesion, and so may improve overall performance."

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe, but then the Si would become even less distinct than it already is. Give everyone the glory of LSD if the Si gets an extra turbo or something to maintain the status quo :yes:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
99% of consumers don't know what an LSD is or know its purpose.
but 99% of the consumers know what an AWD is.

AWD sells even if modern CUVs only provide like 50 ft lbs of EV rear tq.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Some cars have an electronically controlled limited slip differential and it supposedly works quite well. Car owners are laying down two strips of rubber & thinking they have a real mechanical LSD. Braking is applied to the spinning wheel & consequently transferring some power to the other side. This would be similar to how Electronic Stability Control works & should not cost anything because it's software controlled.

Over the years I've had cars with the emergency brake controlled by a hand lever between the front seats. If you were having traction problems on snow or ice you could carefully pull up on the brake handle which would apply some braking to the spinning wheel & therefore transfer some power to the other side. It actually worked & made a difference & got you going.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
99% of honda owners have no idea what a lsd is or care. Youre the 1%.
that's why Honda should invent a marketing name for it, and sell it like Subaru markets AWD. Subaru drivers don't understand how AWD works either but they pay for it. The LSD doesn't have the downsides of AWD either.
Sponsored