I think I’ve found a way to disable rain sensing wipers

mikeshin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi guys,

I’ve been fiddling with my stupid rain sensing wipers on the Touring, and I’m happy to report I may have found a solution for everyone to have intermittent settings. It requires little knowledge and all you have to do is disconnect and connect a few fuses and pins.

*Disclaimer: Perform the procedure at your own risk.

First when your car is off, gain access behind your mirror, the covers should come off with little force. The sensor on the right side from the inside is the rain/light sensor. Simply disconnect the sensor.

Second, access your fuse box under the hood, disconnect fuses 18 and 19 (I need to double check this, but it’s the fuses 10A and 15A on the right side of the box). Reinsert fuses in a couple minutes. Go back inside your car and start the car. Then connect the rain/light sensor inside the car while the car is running. Your sensitivity settings should now be intermittent. You need to drive the car to check ensure it works as intermittent. This is because the wipers operate slower than your settings when the car is still.

Because the Touring trim has a rain/light sensor as one instead of two, simply disconnecting the sensor will disable the light sensor part. It seems to me that the light sensing part operates as expected when this procedure is performed, but turns your wipers intermittent. I’ve done it today so I’m still testing it, but so far so good in my car. If you post your results, that would be great!
Sponsored

jms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '21 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
It seems that I'm in the minority, but my rain sensing wipers work great. When I first bought my car - not so much, but they've vastly improved with age somehow :dunno:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Keeping my eye on this. I haven't had any luck at the dealer trying to get the wipers working more consistently. I might have to try this in the spring.

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Will save this for future reference. Mine seems to be "improving" over time. It works about 80% of the time, but struggles (as in being too sensitive) under light rain conditions.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Hi guys,

I’ve been fiddling with my stupid rain sensing wipers on the Touring, and I’m happy to report I may have found a solution for everyone to have intermittent settings. It requires little knowledge and all you have to do is disconnect and connect a few fuses and pins.

*Disclaimer: Perform the procedure at your own risk.

First when your car is off, gain access behind your mirror, the covers should come off with little force. The sensor on the right side from the inside is the rain/light sensor. Simply disconnect the sensor.

Second, access your fuse box under the hood, disconnect fuses 18 and 19 (I need to double check this, but it’s the fuses 10A and 15A on the right side of the box). Reinsert fuses in a couple minutes. Go back inside your car and start the car. Then connect the rain/light sensor inside the car while the car is running. Your sensitivity settings should now be intermittent. You need to drive the car to check ensure it works as intermittent. This is because the wipers operate slower than your settings when the car is still.

Because the Touring trim has a rain/light sensor as one instead of two, simply disconnecting the sensor will disable the light sensor part. It seems to me that the light sensing part operates as expected when this procedure is performed, but turns your wipers intermittent. I’ve done it today so I’m still testing it, but so far so good in my car. If you post your results, that would be great!
Have I missed something? There is an option on the wiper control stick thing to turn auto wipers off. L

Also the wipers work perfectly fine for me on Auto.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We want a way to disable the auto function and use plain old intermittent wipers instead.
Yeah I'm still lost. I'm pretty sure I can do that on my civic. You just knock the wiper stick one more place past auto. Then they are like normal wipers.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I'm still lost. I'm pretty sure I can do that on my civic. You just knock the wiper stick one more place past auto. Then they are like normal wipers.
So why exactly are you posting here then? Clearly your car either doesn't have rain-sensing wipers or you don't know how the wiper function works. The idea is to have intermittent wiper function without the rain sensing ability. Of course we can set it to low, but then we lose the intermittent capability.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So why exactly are you posting here then? Clearly your car either doesn't have rain-sensing wipers or you don't know how the wiper function works. The idea is to have intermittent wiper function without the rain sensing ability. Of course we can set it to low, but then we lose the intermittent capability.
I have the highest level trim sold in this country, so yes I have Rain Sensing Wipers.

I think the better way to explain this is the OP wants to use the variable speed setting for the wipers while on the Lo setting.

I wouldn't call the speed setting, intermittent wiping it's a set interval between wipes that you can vary.

While suggesting they pull the car apart. Just flicking the stick upwards would seem like a better alternative.

I need to wash my car later today, so I will test out all 4 different combinations on the sick. :)

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are the settings that you have? I have no intermittent setting. Just off, auto, low, and high.

Honda Civic 10th gen I think I’ve found a way to disable rain sensing wipers IMG_20171002_123937

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are the settings that you have? I have no intermittent setting. Just off, auto, low, and high.

IMG_20171002_123937.jpg
I have the same haha, of course it's on the correct side of the steering wheel for me (left side). The OP means the speed dial that you rotate when it's on auto to speed up and slow down the wiping speed. I was originally confused because I don't think of this as "intermittent" but rather a speed setting. I thought the OP just wanted to turn auto off. Which is why I was like just set it to LO or flick it up to the off position.

But I still wonder, if it's in Auto, and the car decides to wipe the windscreen, why the need to turn it off, to only turn intermittent on manually.

However I find mine works as expected, heavier rain more faster wiping, less rain slow wiping, a small drizzle.... Ok sometimes does not turn on but you just flick the stick up to manually turn it on.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But I still wonder, if it's in Auto, and the car decides to wipe the windscreen, why the need to turn it off, to only turn intermittent on manually.
My rain sensing mode is not reliable at all. It works for a few minutes, then just ends up going nonstop as if I moved the stalk to "Low". Adjusting the sensitivity has no effect, the only way I've found to fix it is to turn them off for a while, then back to auto. This is why I want a regular old intermittent setting that just goes based on a time delay, with no rain sensing.

Here's an example if you have a couple minutes to spare
Sponsored