I think it’s finally time to get low...

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I’ve been debating off and on whether I want to install lowering springs on my ‘20 ex hatch. Pretty sure I’ve decided to do so. Now is time to decide which ones I’ll use.

I don’t know too much on the topic, and only plan on dropping roughly an inch or so...

some brands I’m considering, but open to others.

Swift Springs

Eibach

Tein

car is currently on 18x8 +35 with 235/40 18 tires.

I’m a family man, and this is my “family” car, grocery getter (Costco runs can be quite heavy), etc...

spirited driving occasionally, maybe more often if lowering improves the “fun” factor in driving.

my concerns are: rubbing, ride quality, shock/strut life.

once I do end up lowering, how long until an alignment is necessary/recommend?

any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated
Sponsored

Last edited:

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s like...I wrote this post, except I have a 16 Touring. My aftermarket wheel setup is 18x8, +40 wrapped in 235/40 18. I’m considering the Eibach Pro Kit. I don’t think it’ll have any rub issues, but I’ll leave it to the pros here to handle.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my take.

I've been debating new wheels for over a year. I don't hate the 17's but know 18's would look better. But here's where I'm torn...

I also want a lower offset for a slightly more aggressive look. And there's the problem for me. IMO, wider than stock, lower offset wheels look the best on a lowered car. But I can't lower due to bad roads and bad winter driving. Personally, I think low offset, wide wheels look a bit "off" on stock suspension.

So yeah, lower that car, but don't slam it. I'd go Eibach pro kit and get an alignment as well.

Last edited:

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Eibach Pro is a pretty safe bet. Tein will drop you lower. I've personally considered the H&R springs which is a bit lower than Eibach Pro, but not as low as Sport. Ideally with either of these springs you won't need camber arms. I don't think you will have any rubbing issues and ride quality should be fine. Any aftermarket spring tends to shorten strut life compared to OEM.

Some people don't even get alignments, especially if they don't feel any pulling, but you'd want to monitor your tread wear. Best bet is to get an alignment after a week or so of driving on the new springs to let them settle in a bit.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm definitely a fan of the Eibach Pros. Living in NY, dropping too low is an invite for scrapes, bottoming out, and a lot of other fun stuff. Plus, like OP said, this is my daily driver and I drive with my wife and toddler boys often.

I was just concerned that there would be a rubbing issue with a wider wheel and a lowered stance, but I think it'll be fine since the wheel setup is the same as later OEM setups. I hope, lol.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Eibach pro kwas my first choice, then I started reading around a bit about how spring rates affect longevity of stock shocks/struts. I read that swift was pretty close to stock spring rate.

with me having zero experience with a lowered vehicle, I thought I’d ask people that have experience/knowledge.

looks like eibach is back to the first choice based on what you guys are saying...

and yes, alignment will be done for sure.

thanks for the input!

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
.....next question.

anyone know which part number I need for ex hatch?

I see E10-40-036-02-22, and E10-40-036-01-22

I think the second part number says requires camber arms, first does not.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn’t mean to hijack your thread lol.
I’m going to get the camber arms when I order the springs, even if seemingly most say it’s not necessary.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I’ve seen some say it’s not necessary with pro kit, but looking around one part number says it’s necessary, the other doesn’t.

I prefer to not have to if its not needed, and I can still achieve proper alignment.
Sponsored