I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised....

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
Hello friends,

I owned my R for for just over an year (9K miles), and am a bit itchy for a different car (not selling the R, just adding another one). After reading a lot of YouTube and magazine review, I thought Miata would complement R quite nicely.

Background:
> My CTR is completely stock with 18 inch Micheline AS3+ tires (also have stock and Bridgestone RE71R for track). The CTR had 5 track days. I live in Seattle by the way.
> I test drove the soft top ND1 Mazda (155hp, not the 181hp). It's brand new, club trim, manual, and without Brembo. I drove for ~20 minutes on both state routes (not twisty) and interstate.
> I am well aware of Miata lacking power. It's a lightweight and momentum car. I had the right expectation before the test drive.
> I am also aware that my body is used to the R seating position, driving experience, shifter, etc.

I was surprised.....
> With the soft top, the visibility was actually not bad at all. The interior fits me snugly (I am 5'11 and 155lbs).
> The shifter is quite nice, but is about 80% precise compared to R.
> The engine feels thrashy, similar to a engine from a 4-cylinder Toyota RAV4
> Overall, it is a little bit more nimble than R. However, it did not give me the "different flavor" I was looking for. I feel R can do 80% of what a Miata is capable of, and actually does it better.
> At the end, I was surprised that, I wasn't that impressed. I walked off the lot and killed the idea of buying another car.

I found this quite odd but interesting, and jsut want to share with you all. Did you come across something similar?

Michael
Sponsored

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I owned a 99 Miata and I had similar comparisons. How about an S2000 as a complimentary car?

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
My track and fun car is a Lotus Exige... that same feeling of the Miata! You gotta carry a lot of speed into turns compared to the big guys and the manualness of the car feels amazing.

I love that car...

But the Type R is faster in nearly every single way including track times.

Yet the Type R doesn’t pop big ass fireballs lol (at least not yet)

superchi

First Name
Chi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 Fit, 2001 CRV
Country flag
I used to own a 2016 ND, the trimmed out Club version with Brembos and BBS wheels. I wish I could've held on to it, one of my favorite cars I've ever driven. I do agree with some of your points though. Both the Miata and the Type R are similar to me in that they're both momentum cars, but the Type R just has a lot more grunt. Despite being RWD vs FWD, the Type R feels so neutral that there doesn't feel like a huge disparity in driving feel between the two. I could definitely see that owning both would seem redundant in some areas.

That said, the Miata still shines to me on its own. Great shifter outside of what Honda is offering, Low on power but man, it was really fun to just wring it out everywhere you go. I can only imagine that the 181HP version is a hoot. Loved the small footprint and lightness of the car, and the low seating position, ride height, and #vertlife made you feel like you were in a go kart. Despite the electric assist, the steering feel is very direct. The interior was strangely comfortable for a big guy like me. The ND truly is an incredibly well thought out driving experience.

inb4, thread is worthless without pics :D:
Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... e0l5hu

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I say if your wanting a different feel (not sure of your budget) get an American muscle car (Camaro ss, srt challenger, 5.0 mustang) most of which you can grab under $30k used. They should be fun in a different way than a R.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Btw with that being said I love the nd and it’s looks!

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
I haven't driven an ND, but I absolutely love my 99 NB. It's just a very different but equally rewarding driving experience compared to my Type R.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for sharing your observations. The CTR is a more versatile all-around performer with more power in the form of a 4-door hatchback. The ND Miata is really a different animal in the form of a lightweight (~2300 lbs) convertible roadster in RWD. Driving a Miata is really about having a blast driving a slow car fast with the top down and wind in your hair experience. Whereas the CTR is built for the track (go-fast) with a potent engine and also having a comfort mode for daily driving. The Miata is loud (top up or top down), exhibits excessive body lean around corners, and has no trunk space. But it's an absolute blast to drive at legal speed limits (25 - 45mph), be it around town or on twisty roads. And most ND owners use it as a second car for weekend canyon carving. Different tools for different use. There's no wrong answer, just enjoy the drive. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I considered it. Dealer called me for two months. They must be desperate to sell cars. I had a Mini Cooper S Coupe. Two seater only made four years. It had run flat tires. What killed it for me was no spare tire. Like the CTR. I drive 60 miles a day. I believe the dealer indicated they could put run flat tires on the car?

Marjammer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Prelude Si->'02 Si->'03 RSX Type S->'07 Si->'13 Taurus (Current)
Country flag
The new Miata remind me of the early 70s corvettes, just smaller. I like them because of it. Other purist might think it is a ripoff of the corvette design, I consider it an homage.

tomcxb

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Type R, 2020 Pacific Pewter Honda Odyssey Elite, 2020 Tungsten Silver Toyota Supra 3.0
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... 33E042D3-D567-4FCE-9FEB-6CAB03180B77
I have a 2017 Miata club with bbs/Brembo pack

Love it :)

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I sat in one recently but didn’t drive it. That being said, sitting in one realllllly made me want to drive one with the top down. Trying to find one on Turo

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Bought my 19' Si in Jan, originally was going to buy the Miata Grand Touring. the Miata test drive won me over. The Wife put the brakes on that purchase due to NO STORAGE ROOM. ended up purchasing the Si Sedan but luckily I discovered the JOYS of Ktuner and mods!!!

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
i used to own the nb mazdaspeed turbo version. I bought it off the lot in 2004 and sold it 10 years later. I miss it, but i'm past the solo driver thing :headbang: I need the space.
If you're looking for an all out track car or a fun car, you can't beat the miata though. It's the most popular and affordable convertible. Tuners got all sorts of parts for it, so there's no excuse of lacking anything besides space. Most Japanese cars rely or shines from the aftermarket. This car is no exception.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I’ve almost bought a ND so many times lol

New 19’ with HP bump and recaros has me tempted again
Sponsored