I need to rebuild my transmission... (4th gear problems)

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic si coupe, 1999 BMW 528i (sold)
Country flag
Hey guys, this is my first post here but I have been reading different threads for a while. As a bit of back story, I am heavily into the street racing and drag strip scene, I have been trained how to track drive at Mid Ohio Raceway, and I have been daily driving the cars that I modify since I first got my license. So needless to say, I know how to drive a stick. But now to get to the main reason I wanted to post here, I was going out for a spirited drive and went to shift from 3rd to 4th and heard something out of the normal. It sounded like an exhaust clamp had broken off and fell behind me, I didn't think much of it, and the next day I took it to my shop to lift it up and do a quick inspection to see if I could find what had truly broken off. But I didn't find any broken clamps or bolts or scrapes. I didn't give much mind to it, but later that day I went out to go do some highway pulls, same thing happened but worse. I shifted from 3rd to 4th getting on the highway driving normally at the time and heard what sounded like bolts in a blender. So naturally, I took it out of gear and let it coast for a bit, when I went to but it back into 4th thinking I didn't have the clutch pressed down all the way, the trans made a grinding noise and while I was IN GEAR, the RPMs went down to idle. I will repeat that for dramatic effect, the car was IN GEAR and the revs WERE AT IDLE. I knew something was wrong so I quickly rushed off the highway to see if I could see anything. But when I got off the highway and was able to stop in a parking lot, I noticed a new noise at low speeds, a tumbling metallic noise. I knew at that moment that I sheared 4th gear clean. Fast forward a few weeks I took the trans out and took it apart, and sure enough 4th gear is trashed on the input shaft and output shaft. I was wondering if anyone that ends up reading this knows of a already built trans that I can buy for racing purposes, or if they know of any really good rebuild kits that come with everything I will need. If you guys want I could keep you updated on the situation and I could also show some photos of the transmission now that I have it apart and I can also share my current build list.
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PPG 1-4, HPD 4th or wait until the prototype 4th that RV6 is making is released but there’s no eta on 4th or their gear set

Eman might be willing to ship a built trans not too sure

OP
OP
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I decided to do what I really didn't want to...

I'm going to rebuild the trans with stock parts and have my tuner turn the car down in power. I can't afford to go the built transmission route right now, I am currently saving up to finally move out of my parents' place and move into my own apartment. But in the meantime I will be saving up for the trans, it will just take longer than expected.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm going to rebuild the trans with stock parts and have my tuner turn the car down in power. I can't afford to go the built transmission route right now, I am currently saving up to finally move out of my parents' place and move into my own apartment. But in the meantime I will be saving up for the trans, it will just take longer than expected.
Baby steps my guy it hurt like a mofo when I spent all the cash on ppg + clutch + labor ?

OP
OP
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Baby steps my guy it hurt like a mofo when I spent all the cash on ppg + clutch + labor ?
Oh trust me... I know. I have had most of my coworkers do the larger things on my car for me, I can do small things like short throw install, or a downpipe, and even pulling the bumper off to do a intercooler. But I always have the other techs do the larger stuff like when I got my stage 3+ fx500 race clutch installed. And needless to say the same tech is happy that I went back to him to do the tranny rebuild. With parts and labor for the rebuild the cost will only come to about $1,843. But if I went with the PPG gears, with shipping and a new output shaft (on top of that and new gears for the output shaft) it would have been in the 6k-8k range.

So for the time being I needed to get my daily back in running conditions, so I had to go back to the stock tranny.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag

Sounds like a smart move! Sooner than later we will have more reasonably priced transmission upgrade options available to the community.

OP
OP
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like a smart move! Sooner than later we will have more reasonably priced transmission upgrade options available to the community.
Im surprised you guys found my post, as I'm a new poster. But it seems like you guys are very open and active on the CivicX website/forums. And I cant wait to see those cheaper cost for parts, are you thinking around stock pricing for all internals? So like around $2000 for everything?

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Im surprised you guys found my post, as I'm a new poster. But it seems like you guys are very open and active on the CivicX website/forums. And I cant wait to see those cheaper cost for parts, are you thinking around stock pricing for all internals? So like around $2000 for everything?
It is a bit too soon for us to share any preliminary pricing we have heard but I will tell you that what we are hearing is very reasonable. :thumbsup:

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I picked up a used broken trans with a blown fourth. I’ll rebuild it and have it for a spare. Just to note the ppg gears set in the grand scheme of things it not outrageous. It comes with a main shaft which is expensive. The kicker is you need to spend even more for the speedo corrector. But in the grand scheme of things it’s just too much for me. I’ll be waiting patiently for the 3 and 4 replacements. OP have you made any progress or have any updates?

Honda Civic 10th gen I need to rebuild my transmission... (4th gear problems) 6348B537-9490-49FF-B819-1EBFC1F906F0
Sponsored