I Need Some Major Help in Making My Decision....

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
CR-V is definitely showing its age and is near the end of its lifecycle, being nearly 5 years into production this generation. Feature content is lacking compared to other compact SUV competitors.

If you're comparing apples to apples (Touring CR-V vs. Civic), Civic is a good dealer cheaper and better equipped. Plus, the Civic is not the "compact" it once was - its got plenty of storage and passenger space. Both are Hondas so, if well taken care of, theoretically both should last a long time and serve you well.

Bear in mind that the issues you've read about here are not going to be widespread (except the Touring subwoofer issue). People mainly write online reviews and seek help online when they have issues, not to give praise.
The civic is seriously cheaper than the touring CRV. I'm not willing to fork at that much right now lol. I've been in the Civic and the CRV and the only thing I can say is the CRV sits higher (that's the part my dad likes for flooding here in Florida). I don't mind it tbh and I just loved Civic. So, with everyone's advice I've been feeling a lot better about my decision.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
My touring sedan was assembly in Indiana and I'm one of the lucky one that doesn't have the rattling sub woofer issues that some are experiencing. And i do agree with the other poster that said you don't see alot of us praising about the car, we usually only post when we have issues like my phone doesn't like android auto from time to time. Silly one plus one.

As for your question , buy within your means and the usages of the car.

The reason i bought the touring is because im tired of driving a manual car, tired of a coupe because i always have passengers. And i like all bells and whistles it comes with plus it is what i wanted at an affordable price. This was my 1st car purchase as well. I do know this won't be the last when i get older. Mind you, I'm 28. So you're good.
The touring luckily is within my buying range. I just turned 24 so I'm happy I'm able to even have the thought of being able to purchase it. This won't be my last either but just to last me after I finish all of my schooling and residency. It has the features I want and since I'm paying for it I wanted to make sure and get something I truly liked. I usually an SUV kind of person so when I seriously liked the civic I knew I had to get it. Plus I trust Honda enough.

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
Go ext coupe!!! Sedan looks ugly imo (IMO) I have an 8th and 9th gen and the 4 door looks better than the coupe! But not 10th gen!
LOOOL nah to the coupe. It's nice but I rather all four doors

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
haha Nope!!!! Been doing that for 23 years lol,,, Ya if the OP has kids I would say no to the 2 door lol,, I have many cars so it doesn't matter!
Kids free Lool but the sedan is my pick

newf4350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wop touring(civic)
Hello Everyone!

I am in the market of buying a new car for myself under my own name (I'm in my early 20s so it's pretty big decision) for the first time so this process has been pretty stressful tbh.

I've decided upon two vehicles from Honda. My dad wants me to get the CR-V and I am a major fan of the Civic Touring Sedan.

However, being the researching nerd that I am, I've gone through a lot of these threads talking about the issues many are having with their new cars and it's kind of freaking me out because the last thing I want is to buy the civic and have an avalanche of problems occur. I'm at a crossroads with these two vehicles and I am in need of your honest opinion on what I should get.

I'm in school currently and I intend for this car to last me well after med school and residency is done, so....yeah.

I greatly appreciate anyone's advice.
Brought mine in February and I have not one single issue...hope this helps

newf4350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wop touring(civic)
Go ext coupe!!! Sedan looks ugly imo (IMO) I have an 8th and 9th gen and the 4 door looks better than the coupe! But not 10th gen!
lol...wtf.....the reason I brought the touring,was was because how good it looks,not gonna mention how many times I have been complemented on how good it looks,,even buy people who usually don't like white....just saying

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
lol...wtf.....the reason I brought the touring,was was because how good it looks,not gonna mention how many times I have been complemented on how good it looks,,even buy people who usually don't like white....just saying
There will be thousands of people that will love your car and thousands that will not! That's why there are so many choices in this world! Opinions!!!! :) (like buttholes, everyone has one lol)

Andrew

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I just graduated college last month and bought a Civic Touring, and I absolutely love it! I came from a Ford Explorer and my mom drives a CR-V so I'm used to larger SUVs as well. I was considering the HR-V just to have a little more space, but compared to the Civic, I thought it lacked features. I haven't had any problems with my Civic, I'm just still trying to get used to all the little features (my old car was a 2002)...

If you're moving frequently it could be annoying not having much room in the car for all your stuff, but it's really not much smaller than the CR-V. And as far as all wheel drive, I'm not sure where you live, but obviously it isn't an option in the Civic. I haven't experienced an Indiana winter yet in my Civic, but it will definitely be much different than in my huge Explorer :3

And regarding pricing, make sure to do a lot of research (these forums are a great tool) so you get the best price. I visited five dealers before I got the price I wanted. They will try to take advantage of your young age.

And congrats on med school!

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
CRV is due to be refreshed in 2017. I was not impressed with the 2016 and there have been vibration issues with the 2015. Personally of the 2 I would want the Civic. I have read rumors the 2017 CRV will have a turbo but all this is speculation. I have also read the CRV will increase in size as well in 2017. Good luck. I would drive them back to back and ask for an extended test drive on both.

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
I just graduated college last month and bought a Civic Touring, and I absolutely love it! I came from a Ford Explorer and my mom drives a CR-V so I'm used to larger SUVs as well. I was considering the HR-V just to have a little more space, but compared to the Civic, I thought it lacked features. I haven't had any problems with my Civic, I'm just still trying to get used to all the little features (my old car was a 2002)...

If you're moving frequently it could be annoying not having much room in the car for all your stuff, but it's really not much smaller than the CR-V. And as far as all wheel drive, I'm not sure where you live, but obviously it isn't an option in the Civic. I haven't experienced an Indiana winter yet in my Civic, but it will definitely be much different than in my huge Explorer :3

And regarding pricing, make sure to do a lot of research (these forums are a great tool) so you get the best price. I visited five dealers before I got the price I wanted. They will try to take advantage of your young age.

And congrats on med school!
Congratulations on your recent graduation!

And thank you as well.

I'm coming from a '12 Toyota Matrix but my parents want me in a bigger vehicle hence them pushing for the CR-V. I'm not really a car person either. I was going to get the CR-V but I found out about the Civic and I was straight up in love. I've never felt anything when it came to cars. It was always meh, but this civic is literally all me for a great price.

They definitely will take advantage of me because of my age and also I'm a woman so they are even quicker to play up that as well. I'm haggling with them tho. So far I've got 26.6K for the touring OTD plus plate since it'll be the first car under my name.

I'm still pushing to see how much more they will take off.

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
CRV is due to be refreshed in 2017. I was not impressed with the 2016 and there have been vibration issues with the 2015. Personally of the 2 I would want the Civic. I have read rumors the 2017 CRV will have a turbo but all this is speculation. I have also read the CRV will increase in size as well in 2017. Good luck. I would drive them back to back and ask for an extended test drive on both.
Ahhhh I see. Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping with the refresh that they will start putting the sensing option and a little more features in the lower trims instead of having it all in the touring edition.

The turbo....if they do have it in the 2017 that would be awesome but I'm okay without as well. I'm just going 24k with a lack of features that should be standard.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Congratulations on your recent graduation!

And thank you as well.

I'm coming from a '12 Toyota Matrix but my parents want me in a bigger vehicle hence them pushing for the CR-V. I'm not really a car person either. I was going to get the CR-V but I found out about the Civic and I was straight up in love. I've never felt anything when it came to cars. It was always meh, but this civic is literally all me for a great price.
The Touring is a nice choice. Sort of a primer for when you're a full-fledged Doctor and considering a jump to Acura/Audi/BMW/Mercedes, etc. It feels a lot like a much higher-class car.
Sponsored