I Need Some Major Help in Making My Decision....

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
Hello Everyone!

I am in the market of buying a new car for myself under my own name (I'm in my early 20s so it's pretty big decision) for the first time so this process has been pretty stressful tbh.

I've decided upon two vehicles from Honda. My dad wants me to get the CR-V and I am a major fan of the Civic Touring Sedan.

However, being the researching nerd that I am, I've gone through a lot of these threads talking about the issues many are having with their new cars and it's kind of freaking me out because the last thing I want is to buy the civic and have an avalanche of problems occur. I'm at a crossroads with these two vehicles and I am in need of your honest opinion on what I should get.

I'm in school currently and I intend for this car to last me well after med school and residency is done, so....yeah.

I greatly appreciate anyone's advice.
Sponsored

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone through a lot of these threads talking about the issues many are having with their new cars and it's kind of freaking me out because the last thing I want is to buy the civic and have an avalanche of problems occur.
Which issues are freaking you out? I'm not seeing the avalanche, so it's hard to say. IMO, you risk problems with every new car. Cars with new technologies, even more so. If you don't like the risk, there are ways to reduce it. Eg. Honda Sense - It's new technology, so there probably (definitely) will be bugs. We are the guinea pigs, or 'test pilots'. If you don't want to risk testing (de-bugging) it, I would avoid it. So far, my Touring Coupe is the least 'buggy' car I've driven in my 38 years on the road and I've probably owned 15 or 20 cars. I keep looking for excuses to go out driving. "Do we need milk, dear? Please?" ;).
Just my $00.02.
Good Luck and welcome to CivicX!

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone!

I am in the market of buying a new car for myself under my own name (I'm in my early 20s so it's pretty big decision) for the first time so this process has been pretty stressful tbh.

I've decided upon two vehicles from Honda. My dad wants me to get the CR-V and I am a major fan of the Civic Touring Sedan.

However, being the researching nerd that I am, I've gone through a lot of these threads talking about the issues many are having with their new cars and it's kind of freaking me out because the last thing I want is to buy the civic and have an avalanche of problems occur. I'm at a crossroads with these two vehicles and I am in need of your honest opinion on what I should get.

I'm in school currently and I intend for this car to last me well after med school and residency is done, so....yeah.

I recently drove a 2016 crv as a loaner from the dealer. I'm coming from a 2016 LX-P coupe and felt the crv lacked in options compared to my car. I also noticed that it was a much rougher ride and road noise is also much more. The only clear advantage was the crv is much larger inside so you would have to consider if you want more space that the civic.

Honestly I'm very happy my wife choose an Hrv over the Crv after I drove that loaner. If Honda wants the crv to maintain sales they will have to do a complete restyle soon and once they do that I'm sure the crv will be able to catch up with the other models in the 2016 lineup. If I had to get a crv I would wait u til they update it, it just feels like it has been left behind compared with other 2016 Hondas.

Also consider, on this blog people will mention any problems with the car to see if it's typical and what can be done. However, you don't really see a lot of owners checking in just to say all is well, so it will be bias towards problems no matter what.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello Everyone!

CR-V is definitely showing its age and is near the end of its lifecycle, being nearly 5 years into production this generation. Feature content is lacking compared to other compact SUV competitors.

If you're comparing apples to apples (Touring CR-V vs. Civic), Civic is a good dealer cheaper and better equipped. Plus, the Civic is not the "compact" it once was - its got plenty of storage and passenger space. Both are Hondas so, if well taken care of, theoretically both should last a long time and serve you well.

Bear in mind that the issues you've read about here are not going to be widespread (except the Touring subwoofer issue). People mainly write online reviews and seek help online when they have issues, not to give praise.

Calibur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen touring WOP
Country flag
My touring sedan was assembly in Indiana and I'm one of the lucky one that doesn't have the rattling sub woofer issues that some are experiencing. And i do agree with the other poster that said you don't see alot of us praising about the car, we usually only post when we have issues like my phone doesn't like android auto from time to time. Silly one plus one.

As for your question , buy within your means and the usages of the car.

The reason i bought the touring is because im tired of driving a manual car, tired of a coupe because i always have passengers. And i like all bells and whistles it comes with plus it is what i wanted at an affordable price. This was my 1st car purchase as well. I do know this won't be the last when i get older. Mind you, I'm 28. So you're good.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My touring sedan was assembly in Indiana and I'm one of the lucky one that doesn't have the rattling sub woofer issues that some are experiencing. And i do agree with the other poster that said you don't see alot of us praising about the car, we usually only post when we have issues like my phone doesn't like android auto from time to time. Silly one plus one.

As for your question , buy within your means and the usages of the car.

The reason i bought the touring is because im tired of driving a manual car, tired of a coupe because i always have passengers. And i like all bells and whistles it comes with plus it is what i wanted at an affordable price. This was my 1st car purchase as well. I do know this won't be the last when i get older. Mind you, I'm 28. So you're good.
Good choice! The Touring is impressive and I have driven Hondas for +30 years.

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
Go ext coupe!!! Sedan looks ugly imo (IMO) I have an 8th and 9th gen and the 4 door looks better than the coupe! But not 10th gen!

Last edited:
OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
Which issues are freaking you out? I'm not seeing the avalanche, so it's hard to say. IMO, you risk problems with every new car. Cars with new technologies, even more so. If you don't like the risk, there are ways to reduce it. Eg. Honda Sense - It's new technology, so there probably (definitely) will be bugs. We are the guinea pigs, or 'test pilots'. If you don't want to risk testing (de-bugging) it, I would avoid it. So far, my Touring Coupe is the least 'buggy' car I've driven in my 38 years on the road and I've probably owned 15 or 20 cars. I keep looking for excuses to go out driving. "Do we need milk, dear? Please?" ;).
Just my $00.02.
Good Luck and welcome to CivicX!
Very true. You're right. There are risks with anything man made Lolol. It's a beautiful car so I would find excuses to drive it as well.
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciated it.

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
*chuckle! You obviously don't have children or grandchildren.
LOL ... guessing huh!!!! I have 3 kids and so far 1 grandchild!!!

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Coupe, but would have no problem getting a Sedan. They look great, too! I test drove a Sedan Touring and from the front seat, they're pretty much the same (to me). I like the rear end of the Coupe better, but I never get to see the rear much, so it's kinda wasted. Everyone else on the road gets to see it, though ;).

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't it fun loading them in the back seat of a coupe!
haha Nope!!!! Been doing that for 23 years lol,,, Ya if the OP has kids I would say no to the 2 door lol,, I have many cars so it doesn't matter!

OP
OP

ChoomNai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Matrix-S
I recently drove a 2016 crv as a loaner from the dealer. I'm coming from a 2016 LX-P coupe and felt the crv lacked in options compared to my car. I also noticed that it was a much rougher ride and road noise is also much more. The only clear advantage was the crv is much larger inside so you would have to consider if you want more space that the civic.

Honestly I'm very happy my wife choose an Hrv over the Crv after I drove that loaner. If Honda wants the crv to maintain sales they will have to do a complete restyle soon and once they do that I'm sure the crv will be able to catch up with the other models in the 2016 lineup. If I had to get a crv I would wait u til they update it, it just feels like it has been left behind compared with other 2016 Hondas.

Also consider, on this blog people will mention any problems with the car to see if it's typical and what can be done. However, you don't really see a lot of owners checking in just to say all is well, so it will be bias towards problems no matter what.
Thank you. I thought I was alone on the whole idea of CR-V and even the RAV4 being bland especially for the prices and in comparison to what others have as standard. That's why it was so easy for me to like the civic because the price was so reasonable for the stuff you get with it. I saw the HRV as well and it was nice.
Sponsored