Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen I need help with my paint please. ima
So I think there's something wrong with my paint, I've had the car for 8 months, the dealer was supposed to give me the car detailed but for reasons (long story) they didn't, so I took the car like that and after a few calls arguing with them they agreed to do the detail. That was at the end of november and I was leaving out of town for month and a half so I left my car parked outside with rain and sun at their best. When I came back I Went back to the dealer and had him detailed (which was really fast so I think they just washed it) next day I noticed water spots all over the car, they looked like dirty water, I assumed it rained and I just left it like that, mind that I come from a long history of old, used, beat up, scrapped paint transportation cars so I never had that sense of taking good care of the cars, and when I got mine I wasn't get used to take care like so I just left it alone (I now know that was a mistake), past 3 months I got washed again (I know 3 months stupidity again) just a regular wash, nect day same spots, 1 month later another wash, same spots, next month the same thing happened, I kept changing car wash guys until the last one was the best I think, but next day same thing, so this guy told me I would probably need a detail since it looked like the car was necer been waxed and the paint was not protected at all. So yesterday I got it full detailed, I paid $250 and guess what, this morning Same $@$&@@&. Spots.

I don't know what to do, I can't take it anymore, if some knows what I can do I would really appreciate it. The pictures don't show very well the spots, so what you can see there... It's much worse than it looks.

Btw it didn't rain last night and there was no nearby sprinklers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
If you let the water sit on the paint long enough and let the sun dry it out it most likely etched into the clear coat. You may need to to take it to a detailer that does paint correction. Even if the paint was ceramic coated and sealed it's not bulletproof. Water that sits long enough will etch and damage paint. Get it polished out/corrected, resealed and do your best at keeping it out of the elements. If keeping it under a covered area isn't an option then you'll just have to constantly wipe it down after it rains.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you let the water sit on the paint long enough and let the sun dry it out it most likely etched into the clear coat. You may need to to take it to a detailer that does paint correction. Even if the paint was ceramic coated and sealed it's not bulletproof. Water that sits long enough will etch and damage paint. Get it polished out/corrected, resealed and do your best at keeping it out of the elements. If keeping it under a covered area isn't an option then you'll just have to constantly wipe it down after it rains.
Thanks.
Is it a good idea to buy a cover and just cover it every night or maybe the fabrics would do something to the paint as well if is used everyday?

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
If you want to
Thanks.
Is it a good idea to buy a cover and just cover it every night or maybe the fabrics would do something to the paint as well if is used everyday?
Some coverage is better than no coverage at all. A car cover would be good but if the car has fine dust on it from daily commuting it'll act as an abrasive between the paint and cover leaving really fine swirls and scratches from putting the cover on and removing it everyday. If you want to try to correct the paint yourself I'd try picking up a few paint maintenance items from a detailing product company like "carpro" I'd start by washing the car, then spraying "iron x" from carpro to lift iron and fall out contaminants, then using "spotless" also from carpro which is a light acid to remove the lighter water spots, then claying the paint to remove harsher debris. From there what ever is left may have to be corrected professionally or you can use a light compound gradually to a more abrasive one with a light polishing pad and dual action buffer to level out the etching. Keep in mind that factory paint is fairly thin but correctable based on skill level. Paint correction can get very expensive. I'd try the diy method first.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want to

Some coverage is better than no coverage at all. A car cover would be good but if the car has fine dust on it from daily commuting it'll act as an abrasive between the paint and cover leaving really fine swirls and scratches from putting the cover on and removing it everyday. If you want to try to correct the paint yourself I'd try picking up a few paint maintenance items from a detailing product company like "carpro" I'd start by washing the car, then spraying "iron x" from carpro to lift iron and fall out contaminants, then using "spotless" also from carpro which is a light acid to remove the lighter water spots, then claying the paint to remove harsher debris. From there what ever is left may have to be corrected professionally or you can use a light compound gradually to a more abrasive one with a light polishing pad and dual action buffer to level out the etching. Keep in mind that factory paint is fairly thin but correctable based on skill level. Paint correction can get very expensive. I'd try the diy method first.
Thank you so much. I placed an order with chemical guys to start washing my car often but I'll follow your advice then and buy the products from carpro.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
Thank you so much. I placed an order with chemical guys to start washing my car often but I'll follow your advice then and buy the products from carpro.
Chemical guys have great products as well. They have a lot of different products you can use based on what your needs are. I just like the simplicity of carpro. Definitely hit up amazon for either chemical guys or car pro products they have prices that can't be beat sometimes and free shipping is always a plus if you don't have any CG/CP vendors in your area.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
If you want a good hydrophobic sealer from carpro pick up some "reload" even their "hydro02" spray sealer works great. Chemical guys have jetseal and M-seal which is a liquid paste type sealer. Both work great but have to be reapplied every so often up to every 3-4 months. Definitely pick up a CG foam blaster. Makes soaping down your car easier and fun too.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That looks like some pretty nasty water spotting. Was this from rain (perhaps acid rain) or has the car been exposed to lawn sprinklers possibly at some point? A product like Carpro Spotless might help, however it will likely need to be compounded and polished at the very least. Worst case depending on how deep the etching is it could require some wet sanding in order to remove.

Here is a good reference to the two types of water spots you can deal with and ways to possibly fix them.

Ask-A-Pro: Removing Water Spots from the Paint

Removing Water Spots

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That looks like some pretty nasty water spotting. Was this from rain (perhaps acid rain) or has the car been exposed to lawn sprinklers possibly at some point? A product like Carpro Spotless might help, however it will likely need to be compounded and polished at the very least. Worst case depending on how deep the etching is it could require some wet sanding in order to remove.

Here is a good reference to the two types of water spots you can deal with and ways to possibly fix them.

Ask-A-Pro: Removing Water Spots from the Paint

Removing Water Spots
They did compound and polish yesterday, So I guess maybe wet sanding would be next. Thanks for the links btw.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch! Poor car. That looks like dirty sprinkler water that has dried up on there. I dealt with this on my previous Civic and hated it! Even after the car was repainted it would still comeback because of the acid rain the area. I really think the paint will need some correction. Seeking a professional in the area will help. Can't blame you if you originally took it the dealership and had them wash it. Just know they suck, and i don't even let them touch my car.

I heard of some guys down in Davie that are excellent. I know you live by that area. I been watching their videos on Facebook and they are very meticiulous on what they. They have fixed issues like this. Might just be what you are looking for. IF you need their information let me know I can find it for you. Their name escapes me right now.

Once the issue is corrected the best thing is helping to prevent it. Proper washing and waxing. The fact you are buying supplies to do it yourself in the future is great.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I noticed water spots all over the car, they looked like dirty water, I assumed it rained and I just left it like that
Honda Civic 10th gen I need help with my paint please. IMG_20170810_1903102

Honda Civic 10th gen I need help with my paint please. IMG_20170810_1902498

Man, that's crazy! The rain in FL must be way different than in VA. For comparison, above are shots of my car after 16 months. It's garaged at night, but it sits outside all day at work and has certainly been rained on then sun-dried many times. And the paint has literally never been TOUCHED - no hand washes, no claying, no waxing - nothing but $12 touchless car washes its whole life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick update, it's super weird, I called the guy who did the detail for me and he said he would come and wash him to see what we were dealing with, but it started raining all morning so he couldn't make it, after it stopped raining like 2 hours later I went outside to check on him and the water spots were gone, I fugured it was like when I wash him during the day it's fine and next day I see the marks, but this morning there were no marks or spots at all. I'm really confused at this point.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick update, it's super weird, I called the guy who did the detail for me and he said he would come and wash him to see what we were dealing with, but it started raining all morning so he couldn't make it, after it stopped raining like 2 hours later I went outside to check on him and the water spots were gone, I fugured it was like when I wash him during the day it's fine and next day I see the marks, but this morning there were no marks or spots at all. I'm really confused at this point.
Say whaaaat?? Spots completely gone!? Dang that is weird!

IMG_20170810_1903102.jpg

IMG_20170810_1902498.jpg

Man, that's crazy! The rain in FL must be way different than in VA. For comparison, above are shots of my car after 16 months. It's garaged at night, but it sits outside all day at work and has certainly been rained on then sun-dried many times. And the paint has literally never been TOUCHED - no hand washes, no claying, no waxing - nothing but $12 touchless car washes its whole life.
I purchased my car from my father back in April. He had gotten in February 2016 and it was garage kept. Mine is outside 24/7 and the paint looks excellent. The only thing I have done is to make sure that wax is applied every 4-6 weeks. This paint in comparison to my 2007 Civic is night and day. I was getting hard water spots for no reason.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Say whaaaat?? Spots completely gone!? Dang that is weird!.
Ikr! I was really surprised, I'm starting to think that maybe it was sprinkler water, but man what a coincidence that they only appear after a car wash or detail.
Sponsored