I messed up guys :( ... Shifted from Neutral to 3rd gear at Red Light and pressed gas :(

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
So basically I was in Neutral at a red light..when it turned green I shifted to 3rd thinking it was 1st and gave gas and as you can imagine it started like jolting front and back several times and it didnt sound good. Then After i noticied i shifted to 1st but it stalled. Then I turned back on and shifted correctly and continued home...

Did I do alot of dmg to my beautiful Type R? :(
You stalled. The taller gear required lot more torque.

No damage. Car couldn’t even move to cause any damage.
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Time for a part out!

But in all seriousness, you’re totally fine. I actually did the same thing the day I got mine. It happens and it won’t hurt anything, unless you do it constantly all the time if anything.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Full disclosure...when I picked mine up this week it was stored inside because of crap weather. They opened the door to let me out and as I drove it out it felt a little draggy. Turns out I had put in third gear! It didn't die, didn't lurch or buck, but you could tell it wasn't first gear. I've driven stick shift cars since 1966! I still have three manual transmission cars counting the Type R. My problem was the Type R has a shorter throw shift lever than even my 911 and I thought it was in first...Nope. That will not happen again. I swear I read somewhere that these cars have some sort of anti-stall system for rookie shifters. Am I nutz?
The car does have an anti-stall feature. If you just clutch out, no gas, it'll blip the throttle a little for you, just like during the rev match process. I love it, and use it all the time, even though I can do either a start or rev match just fine the old-fashioned way, the car just does it so much smoother, and correctly every time, than I do.

I agree.

Hadn't thought of the need for a sensor for rev match. There goes that theory. Mine really doesn't show gear when the car is at a stop though. Is that not normal?
Mine doesn't show the gear indicator at a stop either. I always assumed it's not actually a sensor in the gearbox, but rather the car interpreting MPH/RPM since a computer can do that more than quickly enough for everything to work smoothly with a simple mapping table inside the ECU. I don't know any of that for sure, but it's how I would have done it, I guess :)

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If bucking and stalling hurts a car most of my cars would be dead. Have two kids I taught to drive a manual. Lots of bucking and stalling. You didn’t hurt a thing.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You'll be fine.

I had to let my friend drive my type r to my house in a snowstorm which was 20 minutes away...he never drove stick, gave him a 30 second lesson (I shifted whle he did the clutch work) dumped almost each gear change and stalled numerous times...my car is totally fine.

Take that to ease your mind lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I agree.

Hadn't thought of the need for a sensor for rev match. There goes that theory. Mine really doesn't show gear when the car is at a stop though. Is that not normal?
Keep in mind there is no rev match for 1st gear. The other thing is that when at a stop, you kind of aren't in a gear yet until the clutch is completely depressed (IE you can still stall)? I'm not sure if I agree with this logic of thinking, but that's the way I feel like the car displays gears.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
...and another thing from above: Is there a break-in procedure for these cars? Didn't see anything in the Op. Manual, but maybe I missed it.
600 miles is supposedly the break in period for the type R. I am now at 5300 miles and have yet to surpass 4k rpm. In day to day driving, don't really feel the need to.

2018 Si FireFighter

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I went to test drive a Focus RS, the salesman asked to drive it as well since he hadn't driven one before (outside of pulling one up for a test drive) and was just learning stick (I was as well). He wasn't flat out launching it, but was going pretty high in the rev range. I remember him going into gear which looked like 3rd, but wasn't sure. Then it started lugging (which confirmed 3rd more or less for me). He turned to me and asked "it's in 1st gear right?". I just looked at him and replied, "I'm pretty sure you're in 3rd...".

I ended up not liking the RS mainly for it's interior setup, seating position, and it felt really cluster phobic and dark inside. Rear seat space was also lacking. When I sat in the Type R, all of that basically changed, the interior let in more outside light, the seating position was much better, and the interior seemed much more to my liking. I feel bad for whoever did get that RS. He revved it out pretty high and did a few pulls. Not sure how that will affect break in... At best nothing negative, at worst, fucked an engine in a way that wouldn't be seen until later.

Edit: to answer your question OP, I doubt you did any damage to the car.
I own the 2015 Focus ST as well as a 2018 Si and I can say without a shadow of doubt I like the Si better. Granted the ST has 100 more hp stock but it also has an extremely small cabin.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I own the 2015 Focus ST as well as a 2018 Si and I can say without a shadow of doubt I like the Si better. Granted the ST has 100 more hp stock but it also has an extremely small cabin.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. The interior of the Civic is actually quite spacious :)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP, I tried to start in 3rd gear accidentally like 6 times in the first month, THREE TIMES IN A ROW on one occasion. The result was a triple stall, in halfway into an intersection, with profanities flying left and right.

What I do is i hold the gear lever with the palm of my hand facing left, and push left and then up. When I want to go to third, I push it into N and then straight up. Now I know which gear is which.

Don’t sweat it. My car still is alive after trying that three times in a row, so yours is probably just as good.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
So basically I was in Neutral at a red light..when it turned green I shifted to 3rd thinking it was 1st and gave gas and as you can imagine it started like jolting front and back several times and it didnt sound good. Then After i noticied i shifted to 1st but it stalled. Then I turned back on and shifted correctly and continued home...

Did I do alot of dmg to my beautiful Type R? :(
LMAO, That's hilarious. I'm sure you made everyone's day. I always laugh when it happens to me out of laziness or being tired. Just laugh it out and move on.

I remember I once wen't from almost redline in 2nd to 5th in one of my old BMW's. That was a riot. The transmission tended to stick as if you were putting right pressure to go into 5th gear at times until I changed the trans oil making it easy to go from 2nd to 5th lol

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
600 miles is supposedly the break in period for the type R. I am now at 5300 miles and have yet to surpass 4k rpm. In day to day driving, don't really feel the need to.
I don't think that's good.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
No, HIGHLY UNLIKELY -- just to your Ego :drive:

Anyone who has not done that a few time when driving a stick for a few years, does not drive very much.
600,000 miles of MT driving, never done that. Especially first, since you gotta pull towards you, so that’s a weird one to happen.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
You've never taken your car over 4K rpm? Are you serious? The Type r comes alive at the top end, forget where peak torque is and all that. Your missing a glorious sound also !!!

Mate seriously, explain yourself!!!

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
The car is fine, you just stalled. I have taken off from a stop light in second gear a number of times in all of my cars through the years due to me thinking I had already moved the shifter to 1st, when I actually just left it in 2nd gear when I was coming to a stop. It bogs some and then I notice my mistake and switch gears to 1st. Starting in 3rd, it just stalled and embarrassed you a little bit. Play it off like nothing happened and get going in 1st gear.

If you downshifted and put it into 2nd instead of 4th, then that is a different story.
Sponsored