I may possibly win a 16 sedan LX... mod ideas.

jstemp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 Porsche 944, 2013 Honda Pilot, 2013 Chrysler 300
Hey guys!

So i was selected (amongst a very small group of people) to have a chance at winning an Aegan Blue '16 Civic LX. I am beyond thrilled with the opportunity, and even if i don't win I still intend to buy a civic within 6 months (probably a touring coupe tho).

The potential mods I would like to do for the 2.0 lx.

-Exhaust, i was thinking of doing a muffler delete with the stock resonator, sounded mean when I saw one in person last week.

-Gold Pin Stripe, i love the look in the blue, and my local dealer offered to do it for free since ive bought 7 cars there, with 2 more pending future purchases.

-2014 SI wheels

-Drop the height, will 2014 civic coil overs fit?

-Add a sub, I don't want to spend a bunch, but within $150 what the best sub i can get.

-Im going to tint it, probably a little darker than legal, but not enough to get pulled over for it.

-HID ( i hate the stock bulbs)

Any other recommendations? I would LOVE more power but i haven't noticed many parts.
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
With our cars, there are a number of distinct advantages, and limitations, that have to be taken into consideration before making modifications.

The Bad:

The first things to look at are the specs of the engine, specifically i-VTEC. First, it has VTC on both the exhaust and intake cams, which is good, but has VTEC only on the intake side, which engages at 6,100rpms. This is appallingly late in the power curve and is somewhat disappointing, along with the pathetic 6,700 rpm redline (personally, I think Honda did this so it wouldnā€™t be intruding into the 1.5Tā€™s territory).

To make matters worse, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head, so there is only a downpipe, which means no headers! Also, the stock exhaust piping is thin walled 1 7/8ā€OD, which IMO, is probably good for 150-170 whp, but that is gonna need to come out at some point. It also has a baffled resonator and restriction type muffler, both of which are bad for flow.

I have also noticed that these motors run very rich, my tailpipe and underside of the bumper was covered with black soot after only 1,000 miles.

In all, the majority of the restrictions lie in the exhaust and the ECU.

The Good:

From the factory, it comes with a forged crank AND con rods with 10.8:1 compression, so this motor should be a very good candidate for both FI and all-motor. It also has a composite valve cover and IM, so itā€™s lighter weight than its predecessors.

The IM is a long runner type, which contributes to the K20C2ā€™s excellent (for a K20, that is) 138 ft.lbs of torque. And speaking of torque, the integrated exhaust manifold is also responsible for the torque bump. I find that I can easily keep up with traffic even when cruising in 5th gear below 1,500 rpmā€™s.

Mild Mods:

These are easily reversible/replaceable mods that I have done/plan on doing during the warranty period in case I need service/repair work done at the dealer.

-Intake resonator bypass mod ā€“ Iā€™ll do a thread on this shortly; It basically converts the restrictive stock airbox into a single bend ram air/ cold air intake hybrid that is capable of generating positive pressure at speed.

-Muffler/resonator delete ā€“ Iā€™m going to replace the factory resonator with the Flowmaster DBX, and Iā€™ve already put a straight pipe in place of the stock muffler

-Grounding Kit

-Throttle body half shaft w/ overbore

-Catch can/ breather

-HIDā€™s ā€“ I recommend xenon depot

-lightweight wheels/stickier tires ā€“ Iā€™m going to be picking up some 16ā€ RPF1ā€™s soon

-Brakes/suspension ā€“ Iā€™ll wait until the 2017 Si comes out and then see if I can swap components

-Tuning ā€“ hopefully Hondata releases a tuning solution soon, but it looks like Ktuner might get there first so Iā€™ll just use them

Major Mods ā€“ what I plan on doing after the warranty period:

-Wavetrac LSD

-lightweight flywheel w/upgraded clutch

-Supertech Ti valves, springs, retainers

-Head porting (mostly the integrated manifold)

-cams - custom if need be

-upgraded oil pump

-ITBā€™s

-High flow downpipe w/3ā€ exhaust

-Dry sump conversion (if I decide to go for 10K+)

-high comp forged pistons

My long term goal is 250 whp all-motor and 9.5K rpmā€™s, which I think is doable, based on what results guys are getting from the K24Z7 in the 9th gen Siā€™s, which has a very similar configuration to our motors. The best bang-for-the-buck mod appears to be a high flow catless*cough* downpipe and is netting them around 20 whp with tuning.

ETA: There are a number of after market parts that will fit the K20C2 gen X platform, but are not marketed for it, so you'll have to be a bit of trail blazer in finding out what works and what doesn't, at least for now.

Good Luck

Last edited:

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Can you not trade it in or sell it? I guess it depends on what you value stock vs aftermarket, but the EX and EX-T offers a whole lot of upgrades over the LX. If you could get an awesome offer from a dealer and have you pay the difference, I'd personally go that route.

OP
OP

jstemp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 Porsche 944, 2013 Honda Pilot, 2013 Chrysler 300
Can you not trade it in or sell it? I guess it depends on what you value stock vs aftermarket, but the EX and EX-T offers a whole lot of upgrades over the LX. If you could get an awesome offer from a dealer and have you pay the difference, I'd personally go that route.
Unfortunately I didn't win. But i had originally asked the same thing, and due to legal reasons they could only give me the LX as offered if I had won. And trading it I would lose value so I wouldve just kept it. BUT now I can wait fro the 2017, so I can get my turbo coupe with a stick!

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you had won it, the first thing you should've done would be to go trade if for a Coupe. :p

Nah....a free car is a free car. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: