Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I absolutely love the competition in the tuner market. It creates great, well engineered products for consumers. I wanted to provide everyone with an interesting look at the comparison between the @Vincent@27WON W1 turbo and the @PRL Motorsports Big Turbo kit. Now before you say anything, these two products are geared toward different power goals, despite what anyone says.

This comparison looks strictly at your "dollar per horsepower". A lot of people see the price tags for each product and automatically assume that one has less value than the other. But is that true? For this exercise, we will be looking at pump gas (91 octane) power only.

27Won's W1 turbo dynoed a gain of 42whp over a FBO car. PRL's big turbo kit dynoed a gain of 90whp over a FBO car. When you look at the price of each product, you get the following results:

27Won W1- $37.92/whp
PRL Big Turbo (GT2860RS)- $28.89/whp

So, which is better? There isn't a clear answer because they are for two different power goals. The W1 is a great solution if you are looking for reliable 280whp car on pump gas. The PRL Big Turbo kit is designed to create a 300-310whp car on pump gas, with the potential for a lot more, based on what other upgrades you plan.

With either solution, you will get a quality product that provides really good bang for the buck. I am sure there will be more products on the market in the future. However, for now, these are some great options for cost effective power increases.

So whether you decide if the W1 or the Big Turbo kit is right for you, it is always good to know the facts about both before you decide. I hope this provides you some insight into each product.

Honda Civic 10th gen I love me some good snail options... PRL dyno chart

Honda Civic 10th gen I love me some good snail options... W1 dyno graph

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which parts are you factoring into your prices? Any consideration for labor costs? This stuff adds up.
Prices are strictly parts for both products. The only parts price differential would be if someone selects a catted DP vs a race one with the PRL kit. Obviously labor plays a part in it, but there are too many variables there to create a comparison that includes "out the door" pricing. Some people will tackle the install themselves, others won't.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Don't forget you need a boost controller with the prl product

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
PRL MOTORSPORTS COBRA COLD AIR INTAKE OR SHORT RAM INTAKE KIT REQUIRED

It is right on their page. I think the PRL is a far superior kit, but if you are going to compare dollar to horsepower ratios....try to include the required items

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL MOTORSPORTS COBRA COLD AIR INTAKE OR SHORT RAM INTAKE KIT REQUIRED

It is right on their page. I think the PRL is a far superior kit, but if you are going to compare dollar to horsepower ratios....try to include the required items
Most, if not all, people considering a turbo upgrade will have some sort of intake upgrade already. If you factor in the $399 price for a Cobra (MSRP), it brings the PRL price per whp to $33.33. In either case, it is still a valid comparison the the price per whp of the W1.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most, if not all, people considering a turbo upgrade will have some sort of intake upgrade already. If you factor in the $399 price for a Cobra (MSRP), it brings the PRL price per whp to $33.33. In either case, it is still a valid comparison the the price per whp of the W1.
Another thing is W1 has basemaps for it but not sure if PRL does.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Basemaps are generally considered safe by being conservative. They leave alot on the table. In either case if you are spending on the turbo you should plan on spending time and/or money on tuning.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another thing is W1 has basemaps for it but not sure if PRL does.
Yep. However, as mentioned by @Micah in order to get the car running right, you want to have it tuned professionally.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I absolutely love the competition in the tuner market. It creates great, well engineered products for consumers. I wanted to provide everyone with an interesting look at the comparison between the @Vincent@27WON W1 turbo and the @PRL Motorsports Big Turbo kit. Now before you say anything, these two products are geared toward different power goals, despite what anyone says.

This comparison looks strictly at your "dollar per horsepower". A lot of people see the price tags for each product and automatically assume that one has less value than the other. But is that true? For this exercise, we will be looking at pump gas (91 octane) power only.

27Won's W1 turbo dynoed a gain of 42whp over a FBO car. PRL's big turbo kit dynoed a gain of 90whp over a FBO car. When you look at the price of each product, you get the following results:

27Won W1- $37.92/whp
PRL Big Turbo (GT2860RS)- $28.89/whp

So, which is better? There isn't a clear answer because they are for two different power goals. The W1 is a great solution if you are looking for reliable 280whp car on pump gas. The PRL Big Turbo kit is designed to create a 300-310whp car on pump gas, with the potential for a lot more, based on what other upgrades you plan.

With either solution, you will get a quality product that provides really good bang for the buck. I am sure there will be more products on the market in the future. However, for now, these are some great options for cost effective power increases.

So whether you decide if the W1 or the Big Turbo kit is right for you, it is always good to know the facts about both before you decide. I hope this provides you some insight into each product.

PRL dyno chart.jpg

W1 dyno graph.png
You imply that the the PRL disco potato kit has 48 more whp than the W1. You are based on the 306 whp that PRL posted. @KTuner has posted that his W1 basemap gives 293 whp with a FBO. The real difference is not a clear as you seem to think.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You imply that the the PRL disco potato kit has 48 more whp than the W1. You are based on the 306 whp that PRL posted. @KTuner has posted that his W1 basemap gives 293 whp with a FBO. The real difference is not a clear as you seem to think.
I already corrected you’re reasoning on Facebook. No need to do it on here too. You are referring to two completely different tuning maps. The map created for the W1 was created after both of these tests were done. Additionally, tuning for the PRL kit was done after this test also, yielding much higher power.