I literally don’t know what to do with this paint

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just got done washing my whip and I see a giant scratch near the drivers side headlight, . I had non stop issues with my Si before with paint scratching and chipping, swirling. So first thing I did with the CTR was get it ceramic coated. I use THREE different microfiber mitts while washing. I change the water and soap after each quadrant. I pre wash like a mfer. Like I literally just don’t know what to do, not even 20k miles on the thing. Feels like a sick joke
Sponsored

Los’fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Depending on how deep the scratch is you can always paint correct and then get PPF? Its a good investment if youre worried about scratches and paint chips. Ceramic coating will do very little to protect from scratches/chips

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You sure it wasn’t somebody in a parking lot dragging something across the paint while walking by?

It’s unavoidable. You can’t always hide in the back of a parking lot if you actually take your car places. It’s hard to drive cars that you actually care about.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Depending on how deep the scratch is you can always paint correct and then get PPF? Its a good investment if youre worried about scratches and paint chips. Ceramic coating will do very little to protect from scratches/chips
Yeah well I was hoping the ceramic costing investment would do something but I’m honestly extremely underwhelmed by it.

You sure it wasn’t somebody in a parking lot dragging something across the paint while walking by?

It’s unavoidable. You can’t always hide in the back of a parking lot if you actually take your car places. It’s hard to drive cars that you actually care about.
that’s the thing, I have a truck for work. I barely drive the thing. The scratch came from washing it. Not during use. Someway somehow something got trapped in the mitt and I wiped it right across. So frustrating like am I just not supposed to wash the car? Lol

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The paint is weak. It doesn’t seem to have any additional durability over a regular civic. I’m also trying to figure out how I’m going to keep the paint on my black 2017 Si and 2017 Accord Coupe 6-6. I plan to keep these two cars for at least another decade. The Accord I just bought used at 72k miles and the previous owner did not take care of the paint.

Black is the worst at showing flaws, but it is also the easiest to color match if you do decide to touch up.

I think my plan is to buy a Dr color chip kit and do what I can without going too crazy. Then I’m going to do a light cut and polish with my DA buffer tool to clean up the large panel areas. After that I’m going to use turtle wax’s strongest ceramic hybrid coating once a year.

Keeping the car out of the sun will help longevity. I still gotta buy a house with a garage.

Unkept Honda paint seems to last about 8 years before it looks like total crap on daily driven, sun parked vehicles. I figure I can make it last at least until 2030 before there isn’t much I can do other than get the cars repainted. Which I don’t know if that’ll ever be worth it to me.

i’ll have kids by then and that’ll probably put some additional wear on the cars.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My advice is to not stress too much about keeping the paint perfect. It’s a special car being a Type R, but It’s so much work keeping a car perfect unless you’ve got 8 hrs a week to sit in a garage and shine it like a trophy. It makes driving it too stressful because I’d be gutted if something were to happen to it and I put all that work into it.

I almost wrecked the Accord being a cocky ass on my morning commute a month after buying the car. Spooked me good.

Just drive and enjoy. Nobody sees a small dent on a car except the owner. You can touch up the scratch and it won’t be noticeable.

Last edited:

Bigboss

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic sport hatchback cvt
Country flag
Another victim of wasting money on useless ceramic coating rather than just ppf from the start

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
I use some black sponges I got from esoteric detailing. Matt from obsessed garage recommended them, they glide over the paint super smooth. Haven’t noticed a scratch from washing yet.
Sponsored