I hit a raccoon in my 19 hatchback!

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Driving on the highway on the way back home from my buddies and I smoked a giant raccoon! Wish these cars weren’t made of plastic now or days :p

going through insurance for the repairs. Here are the photos, hurts my heart.
788A797F-400B-4812-85E9-22798DBC5F9D.jpeg
CFA40A9D-6FA5-4E5E-8D34-5ACEFFFF4E8C.jpeg
Holy crap! How fast were you going?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I was with my brother in law at the time and I still swear it was a small bear but he says it was a giant raccoon. It was dark and we were going 65mph on an unlit highway. At that speed and The plastic vent on the bumper has nothing solid behind it so it just went right through and then under.
Years ago somewhere around Shenandoah I almost hit a small bear. Looked like a juvenile (surprisingly small) running towards my minivan. I slammed on my brakes by a pure reflex reaction (I don't have a swerving reflex, thankfully). I had to check my front bumper because I couldn't believe I didn't hit it. I was relieved my family won't call me a bear killer.

It totally disappeared, so now you made me wonder.... maybe if it was a giant racoon.....but I don't expect anything else would look like a running bear and it was an afternoon. Racoons shouldn't operate during daylight. Animals are stupid jerks though, and they don't follow the rules.:thumbsdown:

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
wow...hit an armadillo at 60 mph one night in my 93 del sol.it scratched the paint and made a noise like the whole front end was gone.believe it or not the bumper buffed out.not so much for the armadillo

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I made a repair like that myself. I had to take the front bumper cover off and then back on. It's not that big of a deal. There's a youtube video that shows how. I think it's "how to remove the front bumper on a 2016 civic".

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Most of those items there are way exaggerated in cost. Like the 3M tape, there's no way they use more than $100 in tape.

My EX-T sedan t-boned someone at 20mph who ran a red light. Air bags didn't go off but it caved the front end in. Pushed the crash bar behind the bumper into the engine. Took out the turbo, radiator, intercooler, AC condensor, one of the head lights, and pretty much everything related to that. Total replacement cost was like $9800. I think your shop is ripping off the insurance company. Or the insurance is paying a discounted rate behind your back.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Most of those items there are way exaggerated in cost. Like the 3M tape, there's no way they use more than $100 in tape.

My EX-T sedan t-boned someone at 20mph who ran a red light. Air bags didn't go off but it caved the front end in. Pushed the crash bar behind the bumper into the engine. Took out the turbo, radiator, intercooler, AC condensor, one of the head lights, and pretty much everything related to that. Total replacement cost was like $9800. I think your shop is ripping off the insurance company. Or the insurance is paying a discounted rate behind your back.
It's not tape. It's paint protection film.
Defo an exaggerated invoice though.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I bet they have a deal with the insurance for owerblown prices and then the shop one way or another pays a kickback to the insurance. This works great for both sides.

Long time ago, when I was negotiating a new car with the sales people, at the end, after I already agreed to the deal, they decided to add $1000 to the price of the new car and also add $1000 to the price of my trade in.
When I asked why are they doing this they said "hey, it doesn't make any difference to you, does it?" Obviously it almost doesn't, but their sales look better and the reported negotiated price goes into statistics that can be later found on the internet as "average price paid."

Insurance companies may need to justify their premiums by the cost of the claims they pay, when they say they need to increase premiums.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I bet they have a deal with the insurance for owerblown prices and then the shop one way or another pays a kickback to the insurance. This works great for both sides.

Long time ago, when I was negotiating a new car with the sales people, at the end, after I already agreed to the deal, they decided to add $1000 to the price of the new car and also add $1000 to the price of my trade in.
When I asked why are they doing this they said "hey, it doesn't make any difference to you, does it?" Obviously it almost doesn't, but their sales look better and the reported negotiated price goes into statistics that can be later found on the internet as "average price paid."

Insurance companies may need to justify their premiums by the cost of the claims they pay, when they say they need to increase premiums.
Those smart sons of bitches...

Can't wait till my new $70K Camry with the $55k Civic trade-in hits the books.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Wow that's a lot of damage for hitting a raccoon. I once had an old Toyota Camry and was driving on a deserted road late at night. There were 2 raccoons "procreating" in the middle of the road. I saw them about 50 ft out, but I was driving over 70mph so I just decided to stay on course. I hit both of them and I looked in my rear view mirror. One got flattened, the other I saw rolling off the side of the road. No damage on my Camry. I still smile when I think about that incident.
It was actually smart of you to not avoid the Raccoons, if you had ended up in the ditch your Insurance company would have argued that you made it an 'avoidable collision' and not paid out. My agent always tells me to take the deer not the ditch.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Driving on the highway on the way back home from my buddies and I smoked a giant raccoon! Wish these cars weren’t made of plastic now or days :p

going through insurance for the repairs. Here are the photos, hurts my heart.
788A797F-400B-4812-85E9-22798DBC5F9D.jpeg
CFA40A9D-6FA5-4E5E-8D34-5ACEFFFF4E8C.jpeg
perfect opportunity to do a type r front end. :thumbsup:

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Nine grand? Your cars value might appreciate from that 24k gold bumper they'll be installing. Bumper... lens… wiring harness... intercooler... charge pipes... crash bar... paint and blending... hell, even throwing a condenser, radiator and coolant/Freon I wouldn't think wouldn't touch 9Gs. I need to get in the collision repair business when I grow up and get out of the navy. I'm in the wrong line of work.
Don't forget the LABOR :)