I hit a big pothole

DrJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe
Last night driving on NJ Tpke, Rt 95 North, at 65-70 mph, I hit a large pothole. It sounded like an explosion as my car hit it.
I assume both driver side wheels went in.
As I passed the location, I noticed a number of cars pulled over, drivers changing tires.

My 2017 Civic Coupe, at about 4000 miles, has impressed me as being exceptionally tight in the steering and suspension and I have had no rattles or noises discussed by other owners.

I continued driving as I did not get a flat and I could not detect any change of steering or handling feel.
I examined tires and rims and they appear normal.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share here? My concern is that there my be hidden damage or misalignment

Thanks.
Sponsored

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
did you check for sidewall bubbles on both the outside and inside of the tires?

I hated the 18's on my GTI for this reason. in one year i had to replace two tires from potholes. they didnt go flat, but the sidewalls did get a bubble.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Last night driving on NJ Tpke, Rt 95 North, at 65-70 mph, I hit a large pothole. It sounded like an explosion as my car hit it.
As I passed the location, I noticed a number of cars pulled over, drivers changing tires.

My 2017 Civic Coupe, at about 4000 miles, has impressed me as being exceptionally tight in the steering and suspension and I have had no rattles or noises discussed by other owners.

I continued driving as I did not get a flat and I could not detect any change of steering or handling feel.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share here? My concern is that there my be hidden damage or misalignment

Thanks.

If you really want to check then take it to the dealer and have the alignment checked out. The car is new so the suspension is probably in better condition that the ones that got pulled over. Also, Hondas seem to hold their alignment better compared to my Toyota. The Toyota would lose it's alignment after a few soft hits. The stuts on them used to go out before 50,000 miles.

I'm sure you probably already checked this, but aside from the alignment, the other issue would be your rims and if you have a thin sidewall. A friend of mine about 10 yrs ago cracked his 18" rims from a really hard hit on a pothole although his sidewall was non-existent. He had like a 30 or 35 tire on it.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX

Thanks.
What area of the turnpike so i can keep my eyes peeled if ever rolling through there? Exit 12? Carteret?

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
What area of the turnpike so i can keep my eyes peeled if ever rolling through there? Exit 12? Carteret?
Yeah, i gotta drive up/back NJ turnpike next week myself haha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NJ driver here too. I hated the low profile tires on my 2011 Sonata because of this. I kept getting bubbles in the sidewall. I only had that car 3 years and I probably replaced 6 tires due to potholes. I'm only 3000 miles in on my Civic, so I'm knocking on wood right now.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FWIW this car holds alignment extremely well. I'm just shy of 28k and I've driven everywhere - pockmarked roads, bumpy roads, roads that I swear got hit by a meteor, barely paved roads in WV, completely fucked roads in DC...

Point is, I've taken some hard ass hits and I've never driven a car that has held alignment past 10k intervals. I'm impressed with the rigidity of everything.

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
My corner of VT can never keep its roads together from all the snow we get--especially this year. I've hit some real rattlers in my EX-T sedan, but I can't detect any change in the suspension or alignment. I get my snow tires off in two weeks, and my dealership always checks the alignment with each service. Hopefully my hunch is right and this car really does hold it well!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It happened to me a few years ago with my 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE the alignment, steering, etc. was okay but after a few days the CV Joint ripped and needed to be replaced.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Thanks.
Next time on highway if let go of wheel. If car tracks staright ur fine.. Drive at different constant speeds to check for vibrations.. If not balance is fine.. Check for bubles on outer and inner sidewalls weekly for next few months...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Two weeks ago I hit a pothole and thought for sure the TPS would indicate a flat right away. Drove 25 miles more to work and found a slice in the driver front tire. Not flat though. Replaced the tire for $200 (Tire Rack) and install was $20. Ohio - Winter - Bummer

nyczrayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Yeah.. LOL
Sue the US... Interstate Highway and NJ...which is broke.
oh christie's just pretending..
Sponsored