I have the Phearable tune should I buy TSP Stage 1 to try out?

VA_Si_Guy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yes, but more comparisons > less comparisons. Different people may have different opinions on how the tunes relate to each other. I'd be interested to see how much the OP agrees with the others who have already shared their impressions
I definitely wasn't trying to discourage another review. There's a lot of good info in that thread and wanted point it out to folks who may not have seen it.

I've driven on both tunes and they have very different characteristics. I personally like the Phearable better but there are some things I miss about the TSP tune. Can't go wrong with either!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I am considering trying out the Phearable tune as well. Derek's TSP Stage 1 is very good, and definitely a step up from the base maps. Factoring in so many who have used it without any issues, and it's hard to justify anything else at the moment. My only gripes are what appear to be aggressive throttle mapping (bad for MPGs) and the OTS rev hang delete that was used. I do wish both were adjustable by the user (or offered as options through TSP).

The feedback I'm seeing is that Phearable is a bit more relaxed on the throttle ramp, and may do additional tweaks to rev hang delete. Worth $80 to me if it's better for my habits. :cool:

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am considering trying out the Phearable tune as well. Derek's TSP Stage 1 is very good, and definitely a step up from the base maps. Factoring in so many who have used it without any issues, and it's hard to justify anything else at the moment. My only gripes are what appear to be aggressive throttle mapping (bad for MPGs) and the OTS rev hang delete that was used. I do wish both were adjustable by the user (or offered as options through TSP).

The feedback I'm seeing is that Phearable is a bit more relaxed on the throttle ramp, and may do additional tweaks to rev hang delete. Worth $80 to me if it's better for my habits. :cool:
I like the Phearable tune alot but don't have anything to compare it to. What's wrong with the Rev hang delete on the TSP tune?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the Phearable tune alot but don't have anything to compare it to. What's wrong with the Rev hang delete on the TSP tune?
Nothing from my opinion. It’s as on/off as can be... without any software intrusion... though the heavy flywheel still keeps revs from dropping very fast. If you find that you want/need it smoother when doing some slow speed crawling... you can always hit the cruise button and enable rev hang on TSP Stage 1.

I think the Phearable tune claims about a 10 whp higher delta when compared to TSP Stage 1... so that one example would make it seem like it could have a smidge more gain. The idea of it having a hefty boost taper is a little off-putting. I didn’t care for the taper on the basemaps and removed them... though I may well have actually gained minimal power up top as the stock turbo may just have had minimal flow headroom up top. Most of the gains up there may be more based around timing... hence the premium fuel requirement for both. I don’t recall noticing a taper on the 24.5# map on TSP. It’s the map my car starts on and is the only map I use.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
You guys are way too focused on psi numbers. I’ve seen flashes of 25psi on the Phearable tune, TSP actually overshoots more often with flashes of 26.2psi (my car).

Boost is only one part of the tuning equation though and everyone needs to understand that. TSP runs a lot richer than Phearable. In my case 9.5afr for TSP at full boost. Phearable runs in the low 11’afr at full boost. Not only that, I get better mpg on Phearable.

The Phearable tune has more power (on my car) than TSP. I posted a data log a while back on a mock-up 1/4mile run comparison.

Phearable was 1 sec quicker to 95mph than TSP. Same road, same shift points, no lift shift. That’s pretty substantial.

Yes the TSP is more urgent down low but Phearable is no slouch either.

I Switched back to TSP last week for a few days...missed the top end and overall feel of Phearable, flashed back.

I made quite a few posts in the comparison thread, they all still hold true.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I ran the TSP Stage 1 tune for about 300 miles before changing over to the Pherable tune and haven't looked back. To me, the Phearable throttle control feels more OEMish versus TSP being more twitchy especially when shifting. I also found Phearable provides a slight uptick in gas mileage. Both are great - I just prefer Phearable for my driving habits.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You guys are way too focused on psi numbers. I’ve seen flashes of 25psi on the Phearable tune, TSP actually overshoots more often with flashes of 26.2psi (my car).

Boost is only one part of the tuning equation though and everyone needs to understand that. TSP runs a lot richer than Phearable. In my case 9.5afr for TSP at full boost. Phearable runs in the low 11’afr at full boost. Not only that, I get better mpg on Phearable.

The Phearable tune has more power (on my car) than TSP. I posted a data log a while back on a mock-up 1/4mile run comparison.

Phearable was 1 sec quicker to 95mph than TSP. Same road, same shift points, no lift shift. That’s pretty substantial.

Yes the TSP is more urgent down low but Phearable is no slouch either.

I Switched back to TSP last week for a few days...missed the top end and overall feel of Phearable, flashed back.

I made quite a few posts in the comparison thread, they all still hold true.
Nice observations. I just felt its weird that the boost tapers off so rapidly to 18 psi in map 3 on the phearable. I don't know if this just started happening or what but I didn't notice it before. Before I feel like it would hold the boost from 24-23 all the way to redline

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I ran map 3 on both tunes once just to confirm the 25psi claim was true - yup, most definitely. Switched them back to map 1 immediately after because to be honest, 20psi is plenty IMO. Feel like I am abusing the poor car with anything higher than that.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ran map 3 on both tunes once just to confirm the 25psi claim was true - yup, most definitely. Switched them back to map 1 immediately after because to be honest, 20psi is plenty IMO. Feel like I am abusing the poor car with anything higher than that.
Yea I feel the exact same way. I ran map 3 a few times just to see if it went up to 25 psi and it did. I usually leave it in Map 2 for the majority of the time. Also Cameron Hill posted a vid of him racing the Accord 2.0t sport and he did like 2 races in map 2 and pretty much beat the accord by a car length or 2 and then he tried in map 3 and it didn't change anything really which is weird. He still had the accord by a 1-2 car lengths.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can someone watch this video of me doing a pull yesterday? This is what I was talking about. In map 3 boost goes up to around 13-14 psi in first gear and only reaches 22 psi in second for a brief moment, and then in 3rd gear it does reach 24 psi but only for the slightest second and drops rapidly back to like 18 psi. My Knock control was at 0.51 and ambient temps were about 70 degrees.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If you're light on the throttle like I am when just cruising around neighborhoods, it can cause a bit of jerkiness a few seconds after letting off the throttle. On the base maps, there are three rev hang delete settings. TSP chose the most aggressive option for their map.

It can be toggled off by pressing cruise control. Still, I wish we had some level of configuration here.

I don't know what Phearable does on theirs, but I'm interested in finding out.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're light on the throttle like I am when just cruising around neighborhoods, it can cause a bit of jerkiness a few seconds after letting off the throttle. On the base maps, there are three rev hang delete settings. TSP chose the most aggressive option for their map.

It can be toggled off by pressing cruise control. Still, I wish we had some level of configuration here.
Oh I see, yea i don't recall if you can change the settings for phearable. I think it did say it's user adjustable but i didnt mess with any settings I just flashed it as is. But now im reading into a lot of stuff and can see that it also has advanced VSA which is user adjustable and I read some really good things about having custom settings for that. If I reflash my car is it the same process? Like I just connect the Ktuner to my laptop and car and choose what settings i want for the VSA and reflash the car?

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
As many people said each tune is awesome, the thing which annoys me sometimes with Pherable and 2020SI that occasionally when you let go throttle cars jerks little bit even if rev hand is enabled. Never had such problem with TSP when rev hang enabled. But that’s a problem only with 2020 since Honda changed something with revhang....

I wish somebody would come out with mix of this 2 tunes where you would have from Pherable power band, custom fan control paramtera and smooth 1st gear and from TSP 19PSI on normal card and 22/25 on sport with aggressive throttle response

Wondering if @Two Step Performance are planing to do any updates to their Stage 1 even if they will make Stage 1.5 I’ll be ready to buy it!

Last edited:

JonnySuicide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
No. Ive been through 3 tunes and Phearable is the best.

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
No. Ive been through 3 tunes and Phearable is the best.
I have the phearable 1.5 none god and have to say it's pretty damn good. Now with that being said I ordered a custom time from d Rob from tsp and will be curious to feel the difference between the two.
Sponsored