I have the Phearable tune should I buy TSP Stage 1 to try out?

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So just like the title says I purchased the Phearable Stage 1.5 tune about a month and a half ago and have been liking it so far. However, I don't know if I've noticed this before but yesterday I was testing out map 3 and from my understanding 1st gear boost is limited for traction purposes and I hit about 14 psi in first and then in second it got up to 21 psi and then around 5500 RPM it tapered off quickly to 18 psi and then in 3rd gear it got up to 23-24 psi and also quickly tapered off from about 5200 RPM to Redline. Is this normal in Map 3? those sound more like map 2 numbers except hitting the 23-24 psi for a split second. My knock control was 0.51 and it was a night time run with ambient temps around 70 degrees. I guess this is kind of off topic, but would it be a pointless idea to buy the TSP stage 1 tune to test out? I've never tried it and just would like to see the difference between the 2 tunes.

Edit: Im all stock except for a SRI
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing wrong with trying different tunes. They all have a somewhat different feel and the TSP tune is quite good. If you have the $80 to spend, why not?

Of course, others will say Phearable is perfect and not to waste your $$. :cool:

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only if you write a detailed comparison between the two and share it with us
Can definitely do that. The one thing that I like about the TSP Stage 1 is that when its in normal mode you get factory boost levels and then with just a push of a button you get 25 psi. I really like that feature.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but more comparisons > less comparisons. Different people may have different opinions on how the tunes relate to each other. I'd be interested to see how much the OP agrees with the others who have already shared their impressions
Plus the interesting thing here is the OP would be reviewing it from a different point of view. Everyone else was going from TSP to Phearable.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have both tunes, so hopefully this helps.

I had TSP tune for about 8 months before switching to Phearable.

The way I can describe it is this:

TSP seems more acute and sudden with power delivery. Like a quick sudden burst of boost. It pulls good but drops off up top. I only ever run my car on Map 2.

Phearable tune feels more broad and has a continuous buildup of power throughout the rev range and in my opinion, keeps power better up top. There's no sudden jolt of boost as it is a very smooth build up.

I prefer Phearable for day to day driving, as if you are not driving aggressively, you will not experience that sudden boost kick that TSP has. This makes it more daily driver friendly and smoother on a day to day basis.

I did go back to TSP after 2 weeks on Phearable just to verify my impressions and I went back to Phearable a few hours later.

Hopefully this helps OP out. I would say it's more on the power delivery that you would prefer. Both tunes are great and add power, just delivered in a different way.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Both! If you feel like trying a different tune on any given day, you can. It's like driving two different cars :cool:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven’t tried Phearable yet myself. The cars had TSP Stage 1 for so long... it almost feel like cheating on Derek. ? Maybe he’ll come out with a Stage 1 and three-quarters tune.

Interesting about the boost taper. I know the Ktuner basemap 23# boost targets does a taper to 21# at the top after... 5200 RPM? Pretty sure that’s where it was at.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's always something that's puzzled me about the TSP versus Phearable comparisons.

If you go back and read the original thread when the TSP 1 Si tune came out, most people raved about the smoothness and how linear throttle response was compared to the KTuner starter tunes. That it was a little soft down low but screamed up top and didn't fizzle out like KTuner tunes did.

Now everyone is saying Phearable is softer down lown than the TSP but more powerful up top. Just how soft is the power down low in around town stop and go?

I have the non-Si TSP 1 and my biggest complaint is how sluggish the throttle feels off the line compared to an aggressively tweaked KTuner starter map. I know Phearable is working on a non-Si tune now but if it's softer down low than the TSP I have no interest in it.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Shoot, I should have paid more attention to boost taper. I always go with the good ol' butt dyno as a way to measure real life on the road performance. From what i do last remember, on TSP map 2 in sport mode, I'm pretty certain that I never tapered to anything lower than 20 psi past 5200 rpm when doing a pull in 3rd or 4th gear.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There's always something that's puzzled me about the TSP versus Phearable comparisons.

If you go back and read the original thread when the TSP 1 Si tune came out, most people raved about the smoothness and how linear throttle response was compared to the KTuner starter tunes. That it was a little soft down low but screamed up top and didn't fizzle out like KTuner tunes did.

Now everyone is saying Phearable is softer down lown than the TSP but more powerful up top. Just how soft is the power down low in around town stop and go?

I have the non-Si TSP 1 and my biggest complaint is how sluggish the throttle feels off the line compared to an aggressively tweaked KTuner starter map. I know Phearable is working on a non-Si tune now but if it's softer down low than the TSP I have no interest in it.
I wouldn't say "soft" but not as jumpy down low. It's almost like there isn't a sense of urgency when you are making your way up the rev range.

However, the delivery from low RPM to mid range and top end is seamless and continuous.

If you all are familiar with the VTEC engines, it would be like this:

TSP: like an old school b series vtec, where you know it's on. Like an on off switch.

Phearable: like a k24 from a TSX. VTEC still kicks in, but more smooth and seamless and not as noticable, but still pulls.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn't say "soft" but not as jumpy down low. It's almost like there isn't a sense of urgency when you are making your way up the rev range.

However, the delivery from low RPM to mid range and top end is seamless and continuous.

If you all are familiar with the VTEC engines, it would be like this:

TSP: like an old school b series vtec, where you know it's on. Like an on off switch.

Phearable: like a k24 from a TSX. VTEC still kicks in, but more smooth and seamless and not as noticable, but still pulls.
Im honestly interested in trying it out. Might purchase the TSP tune in a little bit and once I've tested it out make a comparison between the 2.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shoot, I should have paid more attention to boost taper. I always go with the good ol' butt dyno as a way to measure real life on the road performance. From what i do last remember, on TSP map 2 in sport mode, I'm pretty certain that I never tapered to anything lower than 20 psi past 5200 rpm when doing a pull in 3rd or 4th gear.
Yea it's just weird. I was watching a vid I recorded yesterday and 2nd gear never got past 21 psi and then tapered down to 19-18 psi rather quickly and then in 3rd gear it went up to 23-24 psi for like a split second and then tapered down to 18 psi from like 5500-redline
Sponsored