I hate the starting sound

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I personally think the car sounds extremely tinny and rattley starting up sometimes. Other times it's very quiet and sophisticated.

I can handle the former, but one thing I can't take is how often the engine grinds when it turns over after sitting in the sun for a few hours. I've got four videos of it, and I've got a standing appt with the dealership next Saturday. I fully expect these videos to be enough for them to look into rather than playing the "lets replicate it game"
Please let is know what they say about the grinding noise. Many people are experiencing it!

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
At first, I thought the starter on the 2.0 sounded like a crap GM Ecotec motor, but after a closer listen, it still has that classic Honda start that's just very subtle and quiet. I miss the old starter sound that you could tell it was a Honda a mile away:

1:17 mark
You realize the ECOTEC is one of the best i4 designs ever right? It's underrated as hell. People have put 310HP through them all day long on stock bottom ends and GM put over 600 through one constantly for racing applications. If you're worried about the "sound" of your motor then you're missing the important points that actually matter in a motor. Like its durability and performance.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed a sound, only sometimes, that like a loose pulley. The dealer said it's the direct injection pump.

You should hear my 1969 Chevy pickup start, wakes everybody up. :sleep::confused1:
Has this been confirmed? Are you referring to the groaning sound the car makes when it starts?

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I'd like to hear what the dealer says about the grinding noise. I have it occasionally, certainly not often enough to count on replicating at the dealer

uly2422

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic 2016
Country flag
I personally think the car sounds extremely tinny and rattley starting up sometimes. Other times it's very quiet and sophisticated.

I can handle the former, but one thing I can't take is how often the engine grinds when it turns over after sitting in the sun for a few hours. I've got four videos of it, and I've got a standing appt with the dealership next Saturday. I fully expect these videos to be enough for them to look into rather than playing the "lets replicate it game"
Where can I find your video because I would like to see if my grinding noise matches with yours. I sometimes hear it in the morning while other times I hear it when I haven't used it for a couple hours.

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
Has this been confirmed? Are you referring to the groaning sound the car makes when it starts?
Sorry for the long delay.....
It's only on occasion, I should videotape every time I start, bit difficult most of the time.
The best way I can describe the sound, if you ever had one of these noise makers at a New Years party....
Vintage tin noise maker

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Where can I find your video because I would like to see if my grinding noise matches with yours. I sometimes hear it in the morning while other times I hear it when I haven't used it for a couple hours.
Here you go. Second dealership confirmed this is normal. I can't fathom how when it is as frequent as it is. I have never heard a new car make this sound before, even in the dead of a Midwest winter.

uly2422

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic 2016
Country flag
Here you go. Second dealership confirmed this is normal. I can't fathom how when it is as frequent as it is. I have never heard a new car make this sound before, even in the dead of a Midwest winter.

Thank you for sharing your video.
That's the exact same sound my car makes as well! It happens way too often for my liking and wished they would fix this problem. Were they able to tell you why the car makes this noise in the first place?

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It is only "normal" because they haven't found a solution yet. It isn't normal, that's why my dealership tried replacing the starter. Didn't fix the issue for me.

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Re: the horn, completely agreed. I have a 328i rental down in Miami right now :headbang:
The horn is so satisfying to use lol...it gets a workout with the shitty drivers down here lol.

#sorrynotsorry
There is not such thing as a Florida Native....only bad Florida Drivers. They are horrific down there.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you for sharing your video.
That's the exact same sound my car makes as well! It happens way too often for my liking and wished they would fix this problem. Were they able to tell you why the car makes this noise in the first place?
Yeah. Both dealerships told me it has to do with the fuel pump and is totally normal.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If you want something to complain about, try to be serious and honk the horn when someone cuts you off.
Horn? You call that a horn? Seriously that bleep bleep horn is bad enough to be considered a safety hazard. Just another safety area Honda seems to go cheap on (the other bring brakes barely keeping up causing warped rotors).
Sponsored