First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing I envy from apple. Android auto is light years behind.
Recent convert from Android after 9-10 years to iOS with the iPhone 11. Carplay is a little quicker, but AA is *so* much more flexible, especially with the latest interface. Apple's ecosystem is ridiculously restrictive.
Sponsored

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
True. I'm referring more to appearance. I hate apples commie platform.

Recent convert from Android after 9-10 years to iOS with the iPhone 11. Carplay is a little quicker, but AA is *so* much more flexible, especially with the latest interface. Apple's ecosystem is ridiculously restrictive.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I work in car audio. A major part of my job is installing radios. That doesn't make my opinion more validated than anybody else's. Apple carplay is just that, apple shit. Last I checked you can use Waze in android auto. One reason I don't like apple car play is the fact you cannot move certain icons. Even if you don't use apple music its still on the very front page. This is an iPhone gripe, but I've always hated being forced to use the same texting app, which in turn is what apple carplay forces you to do. Though I'm sure most iPhone users don't care cause you're so used to never having the option to switch to something else and most of you love imessages anyways.

Not to mention navigation is forced to apple maps by default, and just like apple music you can't move it from the home screen. Also, apple isn't friendly to competing services lest we forget that Google maps wasn't even on the app store for a while. Again, another personal gripe, but I've used Google play Music for years (rip) and the years I had apple carplay they didn't even allow GPM to have its own app. That's changed since then kind of, still one of the major reasons why I don't like it.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the ugly iOS user interface that iPhone's have which in turn is literally what apple carplay is. Or the fact that you can't independently use your phone from apple carplay. Since, you know, if you open an app on carplay it opens it on your phone, unlike android auto which can run completely independent.

I'm the opposite of you, though. From 2014 - 2017 I switched from Android to Apple just to give it a shot. I loved iPhones for how braindead they were to operate. How everything just worked, and how your battery was just a beast, at least until you downloaded the new iOS and it was shit. Just the one thing that kept bringing me back to android was android auto, and just how much friendlier it was to people who weren't ingrained in Google's ecosystem. It also didn't take them 4 years to get that way.

I do miss how stupid simple iPhone's are though. Truth be told I'm just being a f***** as*h*** and at the end of the day it's all personal preference.
I've used both and I think CarPlay is superior to Android Auto just because I like it's interface better and feel like it's more polished. You can also move icons around if you go into the iPhone settings. But honestly, who cares? If you have an Android phone you obviously like Android better so Android Auto will probably be your preference, same applies for iPhones. It's all personal preference at the end of the day and i'm just glad CarPlay and Android Auto exist at all because it makes up for the Headunit's crappy interface.

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
You can also use the phone independently from CarPlay screen.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've used both and I think CarPlay is superior to Android Auto just because I like it's interface better and feel like it's more polished. You can also move icons around if you go into the iPhone settings. But honestly, who cares? If you have an Android phone you obviously like Android better so Android Auto will probably be your preference, same applies for iPhones. It's all personal preference at the end of the day and i'm just glad CarPlay and Android Auto exist at all because it makes up for the Headunit's crappy interface.
You cannot move the apps I listed. Also, I literally said that.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
You can also use the phone independently from CarPlay screen.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention iOS 13 fixes this. Only took 4 years since its original release! Same with adding siri support for other apps than apple apps. Congrats apple, you're trying again!

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
What do you mean independently? Throw blue tooth?
BTW great avatar
before iOS13, whatever you had on the phone screen was on the CarPlay screen, and it was very annoying, say, if your passenger wanted to use your phone while CarPlay was on. Now, you can do whatever you want on your phone without anything changing on the CarPlay screen in your car.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Oh yeah, forgot to mention iOS 13 fixes this. Only took 4 years since its original release! Same with adding siri support for other apps than apple apps. Congrats apple, you're trying again!
In its initial iteration, CarPlay was absolutely a hot mess. It had a ton of limitations (like the aforementioned inability to independently use the phone) and it was buggy as hell. I tried to use it in my CRV but frequently gave up, simply because it was so damn frustrating. Half the time it wouldn't work at all, and I grew tired of repeatedly unplugging & re-plugging the lightning cable.

I totally get the hate for Apple's inflexible walled garden approach, and it often takes them way too long to release "new" features that Android users have been enjoying for years (copy/paste, anyone?). And so in typical Apple fashion, CarPlay has very slowly improved with each iOS update since the horrific v1. Now with iOS 13, I think we're finally at the point where I'd actually call it "decent". At worst, it's stable, and thus usable. Still needs work, but it feels more like a finished product. I no longer end up with my face in my hands every time I try to use it (which, incidentally, makes it difficult to drive a car).

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Android Auto is superior to Apple car play hands down.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Apple CarPlay is superior to Android Auto hands down.

Now that both statements are posted on the internet....both must be true. Really though, everyone has their preference.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Apple CarPlay is superior to Android Auto hands down.

Now that both statements are posted on the internet....both must be true. Really though, everyone has their preference.
Nah nah nah.. I'm waiting for somebody to give my boy Ubuntu CarInterface some love.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I work in car audio. A major part of my job is installing radios. That doesn't make my opinion more validated than anybody else's. Apple carplay is just that, apple shit. Last I checked you can use Waze in android auto. One reason I don't like apple car play is the fact you cannot move certain icons. Even if you don't use apple music its still on the very front page. This is an iPhone gripe, but I've always hated being forced to use the same texting app, which in turn is what apple carplay forces you to do. Though I'm sure most iPhone users don't care cause you're so used to never having the option to switch to something else and most of you love imessages anyways.

Not to mention navigation is forced to apple maps by default, and just like apple music you can't move it from the home screen. Also, apple isn't friendly to competing services lest we forget that Google maps wasn't even on the app store for a while. Again, another personal gripe, but I've used Google play Music for years (rip) and the years I had apple carplay they didn't even allow GPM to have its own app. That's changed since then kind of, still one of the major reasons why I don't like it.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the ugly iOS user interface that iPhone's have which in turn is literally what apple carplay is. Or the fact that you can't independently use your phone from apple carplay. Since, you know, if you open an app on carplay it opens it on your phone, unlike android auto which can run completely independent.

I'm the opposite of you, though. From 2014 - 2017 I switched from Android to Apple just to give it a shot. I loved iPhones for how braindead they were to operate. How everything just worked, and how your battery was just a beast, at least until you downloaded the new iOS and it was shit. Just the one thing that kept bringing me back to android was android auto, and just how much friendlier it was to people who weren't ingrained in Google's ecosystem. It also didn't take them 4 years to get that way.

I do miss how stupid simple iPhone's are though. Truth be told I'm just being a f***** as*h*** and at the end of the day it's all personal preference.
Some of your complaints are a bit out of date. Basically a bunch of a pending anti-trust lawsuits means Apple is playing a little nicer with competitors these days.

You can delete almost any app these days. Including Apple Music. You can’t delete the App Store, for obvious reasons, but that’s about it.

As of now, though you cant set a “default” for maps system wide, you can ask Siri for directions directed at a specific app. So “in Waze, give me directions to X” it works as of now.

Applications have the option to display a variety of maps apps when you click directions, though not all do.

You will be able to do the same with Apps like Spotify soon.

People like iMessage so there isn’t much call for anything else. They allow third party keyboards now but usage is almost none. And the one keyboard style people liked, swiping, is now implemented.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
It’s funny to me.
Android to me always feels like babysitting.
It constantly needs attention and tweaks.
For some people all that control feels exciting. For me it just feels like a giant time suck. That you wouldn’t need 10million options for every little thing if the stock version was solid to begin with.
and lord knows how many times I’ve seen someone call Apples UI ugly just to see they’ve made every icon on their phone a boob or something. but cest la vie. Let’s pretend a duopoly that’s crushed every other player in the market gives us actual choice and fight about it. Totally doesn’t reflect anything else. Right?
Sponsored