Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Spend the 350 for a hondata and try that first. If thats not enough, my guess is you bought the wrong car. Sounds like
I think I may give the tune a try... Hopefully, there's a sale for the ktuner black Friday.
Buy a used one off the market place!

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I've owned a WRX granted it was an 04 but I'm more than happy with the Si. The newer WRX's like someone else posted has a bland exterior and the interior is terrible. While my Si is still stock (for now) I found it handles great and is miles more comfortable.
In the end it's your choice, but a tune and some go fast goodies will from what I've read change the Si into something more exciting.
Random question, but: how would you say your Si compares to your '04 WRX? Specifically, in terms of handling, acceleration, braking, transmission - not things like modern creature comforts (which, obviously, won't measure up on the older car). I ask because I'm still driving my 2005 Saab 9-2x, which - mechanically - is basically the same as your old WRX. I'm strongly considering buying a 2020 Si, so I'm curious how you'd compare the two.

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
First off, a GT86 is by no means fast. I beat those things stock with a flash.

Second, modify the SI. It's fairly underpowered from factory.
My car walks 392 Scatpacks all day.
I traded my Scatpack in for the Si. What times do you run to walk a SP?

I know what mine ran....

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced a 3rd gen TL 6mt with a 2019 Si and I kind of missed the TL in the beginning. It wasn't the 3.5 Type S, but it still had a lot more power and was so rewarding to rev up near 7k RPMs. The clutch engagement wasn't as vague as the Si and I thought the shifter was perfect in the TL.

After 5 months in the Si, I really appreciate what Honda put together. Sure, it's a little underpowered, but it's still a great, sporty commuter car. Very comfortable seats, clean interior, ample space in the sedan, and holy MPGs! For a ~24k car, of course there are going to be compromises... Honda could've given us a better clutch, better exterior lighting, and slightly more power, BUT all of those things can be addressed in the aftermarket.

From what I've read on the forums, TSP tune w/ ktuner or Hondata will turn up the fun factor quite a bit and for less than $1k! The Si has a 1500 cc motor and rated at 205hp/192 ft-lbs of torque on paper, so you should've known what you were getting in to and set your expectations accordingly. 0.02¢ :dunno:

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I’m having second thoughts about having the si, yes it’s a pretty fun car but FWD and not having a lot of power is really getting to Me.

yes the interior is amazing but I want a more driver focused car. I made the mistake buying to car for the interior and not the exterior.

Anytime I see a gt86, focus rs, wrx pass by I get jealous about it and makes me regret my decision. Even though they do get worse gas mileage, I would pay that extra cost for gas.

Anyone else thinks the si is under powered? I want a more driver focused car.
Underpowered? What are you talking about? The 86 does the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as the 2017-2019 Civic Si (we're not sure yet about the 2020). The Focus RS and Subaru WRX are AWD, so it's not even relevant. And even if you wanted to relate AWD cars to FWD, why didn't you just buy a Type-R? It kicks the shit out of both of them.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I used to have those feelings as well man just not with the gt86.. ew.. but anyways when I was FBO and E40 Tuned, the only cars that were passing me by were 400+hp cars. Everything else you kinda just laugh at. If you’re big on “Winning”, Tsp Stage 1 won’t satisfy you. Upgrade whatever you have to and go TSP Stage 2. It’s the sweet spot in power for these cars. You’ll be satisfied.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I’m having second thoughts about having the si, yes it’s a pretty fun car but FWD and not having a lot of power is really getting to Me.

yes the interior is amazing but I want a more driver focused car. I made the mistake buying to car for the interior and not the exterior.

Anytime I see a gt86, focus rs, wrx pass by I get jealous about it and makes me regret my decision. Even though they do get worse gas mileage, I would pay that extra cost for gas.

Anyone else thinks the si is under powered? I want a more driver focused car.
In terms of actual speed of the vehicle, it's determined by power to weight ratio for the most part. So let's go over some of these. I'm going to approximate WHP as that's what actually matters by multiplying the crank HP by 0.9, 0.85, and 0.8 for FF, FR, and AWD vehicles, respectively, to account for powertrain loss.
  • Civic Si (25k): 2900 lbs, 205 HP -> 184 WHP -> 15.76 lb/HP
  • BRZ/FRS/86 (27-29k): 2800 lbs, 205 HP -> 174 WHP -> 16.09 lb/HP
  • WRX (27k): 3300 lbs, 268 HP -> 214 WHP -> 15.42 lb/HP
  • Focus RS (40k): 3400 lbs, 350 HP -> 280 WHP -> 12.14 lb/HP
With the exception of the RS (which costs 15k more), the Si is about as fast as the others in terms of power to weight if you set aside the lack of traction and launching ability due to the FF layout. I'd actually wager than stock to stock, the Si may hold its own against a BRZ/FRS/86 from a dig or a roll while against the WRX it should be able to hold its own from a roll (but not a stopped start due to AWD).

While I disagree with the power statement, the drivetrain statement is true as I can see why people would prefer a RWD or AWD vehicle over an FF vehicle. That's not to say that the FF doesn't come with its own advantages (powertrain loss being the primary).

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think he's the only one who knows he's racing .... or maybe an SXT with some 392 badges on it.
From a dig, a scatpack spins all day.
My car is on 265/35ZR18 300 treadwear Summer tires.
Full bolt ons, E85, tuned.
Wheels are 17 pounds each, some weight has been reduced between exhaust, wheels, tires, amongst other things.

@Seth_FC3 has witnessed more than one getting gapped by me.
a 392 is a heavy cow and on street tires it isn't going anywhere.

You're comparing a 4,250 pound car with 400ish horsepower to a car that weighs sub 2800 with more than half of what the scatpack makes.

Last edited:

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
From a dig, a scatpack spins all day.
My car is on 265/35ZR18 300 treadwear Summer tires.
Full bolt ons, E85, tuned.
Wheels are 17 pounds each, some weight has been reduced between exhaust, wheels, tires, amongst other things.

@Seth_FC3 has witnessed more than one getting gapped by me.
a 392 is a heavy cow and on street tires it isn't going anywhere.

You're comparing a 4,250 pound car with 400ish horsepower to a car that weighs sub 2800 with more than half of what the scatpack makes.
@WOPSiWOT He's not lying. I was following behind both of them. The charger was trying. Yes the charger has way more power, but like he said, that car is a boat. The charger just couldn't catch him

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@WOPSiWOT He's not lying. I was following behind both of them. The charger was trying. Yes the charger has way more power, but like he said, that car is a boat. The charger just couldn't catch him
Not to mention I drive like I can afford to blow my motor up.
How could you not hear that terrible straight piped V8 WOT? Lol. There is no guessing if hes flooring it or not, you can hear it.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Assuming OP has never taken the Si to a track, may I suggest to find an empty open parking lot, setup some cones to do figure 8s and slaloms, and then see how you feel about it. The car has decent acceleration for what it is but the handling is where it really shines. Stock for stock, my ST that came with summer tires would easily out handle the Si, no contest. Considering a set of new shoes with summer tires to make it a little more fair :yes:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I've owned a WRX granted it was an 04 but I'm more than happy with the Si. The newer WRX's like someone else posted has a bland exterior and the interior is terrible. While my Si is still stock (for now) I found it handles great and is miles more comfortable.
In the end it's your choice, but a tune and some go fast goodies will from what I've read change the Si into something more exciting.
I had a 2002 WRX at 300whp, a 2002 Z06, a 2011 EvoX at 450whp. The Si with TSP Stg1 reflash is an excellent daily driver. Quick enough as needed but with incredible fuel economy, enough passenger and cargo space for the wife and 3 kids.

The WRX and EvoX were a pig on gas, expensive to insure, and the AWD was great for quick starts but just extra weight once moving. The Z06 was fast with IHE+tune yet unreliable electrical system and leaky roof/trunk but incredible on fuel economy and cheap to insure.

An old friend of mine has an FRS. It is boring to drive and needs to be wrung out to deliver torque. Great handling though. Should have had a turbo from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.