I cannot get my scanner to connect to my 2018 Civic hatchback. I need to diagnose a whole slew of warning lights on my dash

Tomgil123

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I cannot get my scanner to connect to my 2018 Civic hatchback. I need to diagnose a whole slew of warning lights on my dash. The error on the dash reads Check Charge System as well. The a/c is no longer working as well. I figured I could scan for the error codes but now my scanner will no longer connect to the vehicle. This all started after I discounted the battery and ran power directly from the positive terminal to a new subwoofer I am installing. Thoughts?
Sponsored

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I cannot get my scanner to connect to my 2018 Civic hatchback. I need to diagnose a whole slew of warning lights on my dash. The error on the dash reads Check Charge System as well. The a/c is no longer working as well. I figured I could scan for the error codes but now my scanner will no longer connect to the vehicle. This all started after I discounted the battery and ran power directly from the positive terminal to a new subwoofer I am installing. Thoughts?
I would disconnect any connections you've made and then disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes. Then reconnect the just the battery and see if your errors go away.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All these warnings are normal after disconnecting the battery. Drive around for about 10 minutes, shut off and restart the car and they will eventually go away. Freaked me out the first time it happened to me too.

OP
OP

Tomgil123

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But why cannot I not connect a scanner to the car?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But why cannot I not connect a scanner to the car?
The only thing I can think of the ecu is going through it's startup mode. Almost like a reboot. But like I said, this is normal. I've gone through this several times during installs.

OP
OP

Tomgil123

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FYI, I brought the car to the Honda dealer and they were about as helpful as a dead animal. They could not scan the car as well and said it would be , at least, 4 hours of labor to even determine the issue.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FYI, I brought the car to the Honda dealer and they were about as helpful as a dead animal. They could not scan the car as well and said it would be , at least, 4 hours of labor to even determine the issue.
How is your ground wire to the chassis? Also if you have a multimeter can you tell us what the current voltage on the battery is?

OP
OP

Tomgil123

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is your ground wire to the chassis? Also if you have a multimeter can you tell us what the current voltage on the battery is?
Ground wire to what? I can check the battery.

OP
OP

Tomgil123

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When you say "check the ground wire to the chassis" where are you referring me to check?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's to the right of the battery facing the engine. You will see a black wire connected right to the frame. So you never resolved this issue?