I bought a J's Racing Exhaust ( It's been modified, what should I do ? )

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased a used J's racing exhaust this week for my FK8, the price was to good to pass up so I jumped on it. Anyway it has been previously modified with a aftermarket high flow resonator... Should I leave it as is or take it out? Was also half heat wrapped, makes me wonder how bad of a job it is underneath. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a J's Racing Exhaust ( It's been modified, what should I do ? ) 20200711_103524

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a J's Racing Exhaust ( It's been modified, what should I do ? ) 20200711_103435

18FK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R #13440, 2014 Civic LX Daily Beater, 2017 Acura MDX Adv.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question is, do you like the way it currently sounds?

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question is, do you like the way it currently sounds?
I don't even know what it sounds like. I can't install it yet because it won't bolt up to my 3" front pipe.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Maybe just take the wrap off and find out. Should be a piece of cake for you :). J racing is one of the louder exhausts out there so the previous owner probably added a resonator to tame down the drone, especially if you have aftermarket DP/FP. I say leave it there and see how you like it. If you don’t like it, have a shop cut and re-weld. Or if you don’t like the current job, re-do it then throw it on.

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe just take the wrap off and find out. Should be a piece of cake for you :). J racing is one of the louder exhausts out there so the previous owner probably added a resonator to tame down the drone, especially if you have aftermarket DP/FP. I say leave it there and see how you like it. If you don’t like it, have a shop cut and re-weld. Or if you don’t like the current job, re-do it then throw it on.
Yeah that is likely what I will do today. Hopefully the weld job isn't to bad, but my luck it's going to be terrible LOL... Yeah good idea, just re do it worse case then install on the car. I still need to modify it anyway to mount to my thermal fp.

Any suggestions on cleaning the titanium tips without damaging the beautiful blue burnt marks?

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Why not just get a new FP and sell the Thermal? Maybe be better in the long run. Modified parts don’t have good resell value.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I don't even know what it sounds like. I can't install it yet because it won't bolt up to my 3" front pipe.
Wait weren't you the guy complaining your Therma R&D was way too loud and drones? And then you went out and bought a J's exhaust - one of the louder ones on the market? =D

Well keep us posted on how the sound is

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not just get a new FP and sell the Thermal? Maybe be better in the long run. Modified parts don’t have good resell value.
Was going to do that but the price for a new front pipe is 500+ cad
I agree but it's already modified anyway.

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait weren't you the guy complaining your Therma R&D was way too loud and drones? And then you went out and bought a J's exhaust - one of the louder ones on the market? =D

Well keep us posted on how the sound is
Girl, but yes that was me lol! Typical woman can't make up her mind :p

I am hoping this one will sound better, will see. I will try and get some video once installed.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Did the person you bought it from tell you about the mods? Seems a bit sneaky to me

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CW_CTR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 RDX, 2007 Accord
Country flag
I would share your concern for what lies under that heat wrap, gritting my teeth just thinking about it. On a different note, I absolutely love the rear section of those and their distinctive tips.

I'd almost just put it on and see what happens. What do you have to lose at this point?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Toss the wrap, it looks barely weathered so it should be fine imo. If you're that concerned just move it a bit to see the metal under - worst case it has some surface rust on a part that nobody sees.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Holly,
Titanium exhaust cleaning tips here. WD-40, Penetrol or similar with a microfiber towel works well. I try to avoid any polish with grit.

Any suggestions on cleaning the titanium tips without damaging the beautiful blue burnt marks?

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would share your concern for what lies under that heat wrap, gritting my teeth just thinking about it. On a different note, I absolutely love the rear section of those and their distinctive tips.

I'd almost just put it on and see what happens. What do you have to lose at this point?
Yeah I planned on taking it off the other day but got busy, I ended up buying a new front pipe as well since my thermal won't bolt up to it. Yes exactly nothing to lose at this point!
Sponsored