I added the 2019 volume knob to my 2017 EX-L!

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure if in US you have this 5 button variant.
But from my country the part numbers are (Both for civic sedan)

Standard one (touch only) 39710TBAA11 or 39710TBA305

With Volume Knob 5 buttons = 39710TECP51
My guess is the 5-button variant is from the Touring, since (in the U.S. at least), that is the only trim level that comes with built-in navigation, and the 5th button is "Map".

That's an interesting idea. My car is a Touring, but I only got a 4-button screen because I didn't want to wait for a used 5-button screen to come up for sale on eBay. I hadn't considered that I might get a different result if I got a screen that matched my car's trim level.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guess is the 5-button variant is from the Touring, since (in the U.S. at least), that is the only trim level that comes with built-in navigation, and the 5th button is "Map".

That's an interesting idea. My car is a Touring, but I only got a 4-button screen because I didn't want to wait for a used 5-button screen to come up for sale on eBay. I hadn't considered that I might get a different result if I got a screen that matched my car's trim level.
It's nice to know about this Display Swap but I think there a dependency of the software version, or... if there is a better compatibility with the 5 button screen (just a big guess).

Screens side by side for comparison.

1617976797588.png
what country? i have sport touring trim

GutlessGnat

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I like the old style better personally after looking at several different years. I think it looks cleaner and less radio more tablet. I use the steering wheel controls to lower my volume though.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
It really depends of the usage.
I like the physical buttons better, specially when you use the lane assist feature. The back button cancel it when you don't need. The stalk button button works to cancel but when you activate by turning right, its easier to use the radio screen.

kruuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
That’s not true, only the screen is needed. However, the screen itself is usually only sold with the radio. Just take the screen off of the unit (it’s held on with 3 clips and a couple of screws on each side) and attach it to your already installed stereo.
Can you post some pics of this? I'm about to replace my head unit since I bricked it.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
I installed p/n 39710-TBF-A71 from a 2019 type r to my 2017 sport touring hatchback.
all buttons work perfect except the brightness wont change.

Honda Civic 10th gen I added the 2019 volume knob to my 2017 EX-L! 1637034980314

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Is navigation for the headunit on the car or is it in the unit?

Like if you change out to a sport coupe (no NAV) on a sport touring? Will you lose navigation?

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
Is navigation for the headunit on the car or is it in the unit?

Like if you change out to a sport coupe (no NAV) on a sport touring? Will you lose navigation?
It's the display only, the device of Navi is not changed
You won't lose Navi it you change the display only

UFPRACEPHOTOS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Si sedan
Country flag
Hey everyone, today I added the volume knob to the pre-2019 infotainment system in my 2017 EX-L Coupe!

I know many may think it’s not worth it, but seeing as many 2016-2018 civic owners miss the volume knob, this was something I was very curious about.

I searched all over the forums and web, and all I saw was one post mentioning them doing this to a 2018 Type-R, but not a 2016-2017 standard trim civic without navigation.

After finding the 2019 stereo on eBay for less than $200, I bought it to see what would happen. ALL YOU NEED IS THE SCREEN! It plugged in exactly as the standard screen did, and everything works perfectly.

However, the issue on the 2016-2017 civics is that the EQ can only be accessed through the “Menu” button on the side. On the 2019, there is no menu button, and instead it has the “Phone” button. But I was surprised to find out that the “Phone” button just does what the “Menu” button did! So I didn’t lose access to anything, and gained the volume knob and buttons from the new civics.

Here is a quick video I shot showing all of the functionality working:

How he heck do I access audio EQ? I just swapped the screen but cant fig it out lol

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You are telling me people don't want a giant tablet in center protruding upwards on dash with shit touch controls and want actual physical input?

UFPRACEPHOTOS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Si sedan
Country flag
so nobody has solved the dimming functions?
I finally found a 2019 Si radio unit and swapped that and I have no issues. Everything from the 2019 works perfectly fine in my 2018. All functions and controls work properly.
Sponsored