I added the 2019 volume knob to my 2017 EX-L!

DylanAbbott

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Coupe EX-L
Country flag
Hey everyone, today I added the volume knob to the pre-2019 infotainment system in my 2017 EX-L Coupe!

I know many may think it’s not worth it, but seeing as many 2016-2018 civic owners miss the volume knob, this was something I was very curious about.

I searched all over the forums and web, and all I saw was one post mentioning them doing this to a 2018 Type-R, but not a 2016-2017 standard trim civic without navigation.

After finding the 2019 stereo on eBay for less than $200, I bought it to see what would happen. ALL YOU NEED IS THE SCREEN! It plugged in exactly as the standard screen did, and everything works perfectly.

However, the issue on the 2016-2017 civics is that the EQ can only be accessed through the “Menu” button on the side. On the 2019, there is no menu button, and instead it has the “Phone” button. But I was surprised to find out that the “Phone” button just does what the “Menu” button did! So I didn’t lose access to anything, and gained the volume knob and buttons from the new civics.

Here is a quick video I shot showing all of the functionality working:
Sponsored

Pavel

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 1.5 turbo touring 2018
Country flag
Hello!
I want too :)

EcoVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Nice! Do you have a part number for the screen? Seems I'm only able to find the entire head unit listed on ebay.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hey everyone, today I added the volume knob to the pre-2019 infotainment system in my 2017 EX-L Coupe!

I know many may think it’s not worth it, but seeing as many 2016-2018 civic owners miss the volume knob, this was something I was very curious about.

I searched all over the forums and web, and all I saw was one post mentioning them doing this to a 2018 Type-R, but not a 2016-2017 standard trim civic without navigation.

After finding the 2019 stereo on eBay for less than $200, I bought it to see what would happen. ALL YOU NEED IS THE SCREEN! It plugged in exactly as the standard screen did, and everything works perfectly.

However, the issue on the 2016-2017 civics is that the EQ can only be accessed through the “Menu” button on the side. On the 2019, there is no menu button, and instead it has the “Phone” button. But I was surprised to find out that the “Phone” button just does what the “Menu” button did! So I didn’t lose access to anything, and gained the volume knob and buttons from the new civics.

Here is a quick video I shot showing all of the functionality working:

thats good to know for the future. i'm not a fan of the new display with buttons, i like the older version, cleaner looking. but i do like the volume button.

OP
OP
DylanAbbott

DylanAbbott

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Coupe EX-L
Country flag
you need the whole radio unit
That’s not true, only the screen is needed. However, the screen itself is usually only sold with the radio. Just take the screen off of the unit (it’s held on with 3 clips and a couple of screws on each side) and attach it to your already installed stereo.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
wow things we learn thanks

That’s not true, only the screen is needed. However, the screen itself is usually only sold with the radio. Just take the screen off of the unit (it’s held on with 3 clips and a couple of screws on each side) and attach it to your already installed stereo.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Man, thanks for taking a chance on this! After seeing your post, I picked up a headunit from a 2019 EX with just 2400 miles on it for $125 off eBay.

My car is a Touring, so I knew wouldn't be able to swap the entire headunits, but swapping the screen from one to the other worked perfectly! It lacks the "MAP" button that 2019+ Touring models have, but I can get into the factory nav from the touchscreen menus, so no loss there.

Thanks again. I've been suffering with this stupid touchscreen volume control for four years now!

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
I wonder if the 2019 HU would work on a 2018 LX-P? Would be cheaper to buy that, hondahack it, and install custom software audio processing (such as v4a) than purchase other aftermarket android HUs.

Of course, since the EX's have an external amp I may be better of w/ the aftermarket HUs that output more power come to think of it.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
looks like ebay caught on. lots of screens now but for lower models lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone detail the process for removing the old and installing the new screen? Thanks.

Nice! Do you have a part number for the screen? Seems I'm only able to find the entire head unit listed on ebay.
39710-TBA-A41

Last edited:

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's one on right now. Don't offer less than $225. I can't make any more bids.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
seems like this is the 2019 and 2020 display. little over $500 new.
Sponsored