Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My personal Hypermiling records so far:

508 miles

498 miles

484 miles

Each driven with a single gas tank. Did anybody here was able to drive any further with one gas tank? (I mean in real live, not in theory with the bordcomputer calculation. ?

---

I thought I was good till I stumbled over this this post:

Just finished my 2nd 600 plus tank in a row. This one was 634 and I filled up with 11.964 gallons. My Odometer reads about 3% low due to me using 50psi in the tires...
This is so incredible

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
The only time I try and conserve gas is when I’m running low and the cheap gas station is near the displayed range left. I’ve used the Econ button once to see what it did.

the27thaxe

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
the best I've been able to hit in my Si was 46mpg @65mph Not bad thought considering the car is rated for....what, 33?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is anybody using the EcoChallenge (Eco Route) feature for hypermiling? It comes with the built in Garmin satnav.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hypermiling IMG_20210219_124953

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found an article about an italian guy who hypermiled a Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo VTEC Sport +

Short summary:
In the so called Rome-Forlì fuel consumption test, he managed to get 4.45 l/100 km (53 mpg) on a 995 km (618 miles) stretch. With a careful driving style, the 6-speed manual transmission with precise gear ratios and a route at almost constant speed with little intervention of the turbo.

• Mixed daily use on urban and extra-urban roads: 5.7 l/100km (41 mpg)
  • Economy run at constant speed of 3.7 l/100 km (63,6 mpg)
  • Swirling traffic of Rome 9.0 l/100 km (26,1 mpg)
  • Freeway: 6.0 l/100 km (39,2 mpg)

Data:
Weather: Clear, 20°
Fuel price: 1.43 euro/l ($ 5.3 per gallon)
Average speed in the Rome-Forlì stretch: 82 km/h (51 mph)
Tires: Michelin Primacy 3 - 235/45 R17 94W

Fuel consumption:
Actual average: 4.45 l/100 km (52,9 mpg)
On-board computer: 4.5 l/100 km (52,3 mpg)
At the pump: 4.4 l/100 km (53,5 mpg)

Link to the original article (italian language):
https://it.motor1.com/reviews/216621/honda-civic-15-la-prova-consumi-reali/

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Turning the car off when it's rolling sounds like a real stupid idea to me.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think people do that. There is not need for it since the gauge shows the cars uses zero fuel while coasting anyway.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Oh, people do it. It's not smart because if you have hydraulic power steering you lose the steering and brake assist, if you have electric steering you can get a dramatic shake of the wheel when you turn the car back to ACC and the system turns on, and also lose brake assist.

It does give real gains in fuel economy. You're right that the car will use zero fuel- but if the transmission is still engaged, all the frictional and pumping loss continues to sap energy from the car's forward momentum. You will lose speed faster if coasting with the engine on and in gear, which means you will need to get on the gas again sooner. Unless you're going down a steep enough hill that you need the brakes too, anyway.

https://www.davewigstone.com/2012/06/16/engine-coasting-eoc/

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...but if the transmission is still engaged, all the frictional and pumping loss continues to sap energy from the car's forward momentum. You will lose speed faster if coasting with the engine on and in gear, which means you will need to get on the gas again sooner. Unless you're going down a steep enough hill that you need the brakes too, anyway.
I wonder if that is still the case, the article is almost ten years old and some things have changed especially since car makers are forced to build their cars way more fuel efficient.

At least with the CVT I couldn't feel any difference between putting it into neutral while coasting or letting it in D.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
This is my normal everyday driving. When I make the effort to max out the MPG it goes up over 50.
Honda Civic 10th gen Hypermiling 1614352647063

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Wow.. I'm usually getting 45+mpg on the 2.0L too. And NO, I don't use the Eco button cuz it makes me bury my foot into the had more to get up to speed and inherently greatly reduces the MPG itself (for me) as well.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wonder if that is still the case, the article is almost ten years old and some things have changed especially since car makers are forced to build their cars way more fuel efficient.

At least with the CVT I couldn't feel any difference between putting it into neutral while coasting or letting it in D.
This is still the case. When the car is in gear coasting going downhill the fuel injectors turn off completely(this is why mpg goes through the roof). The car at this point is using the rotation of the wheels to turn the transmission which turns the engine(and keeps the engine on and charging your battery). Nothing comes for free, there is some friction lost as the kinetic energy goes through the transmission and engine. You won't go as far using this method but it uses no fuel until you come to a stop or put your foot on the gas again.

If you switch to neutral when you coast you will roll a little faster but the engine will keep the fuel injectors on to spin the engine and thus use fuel. You will go farther using this method due to less frictional losses but it uses fuel the whole time.
Sponsored