Hypermiling

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The road is really not the place to try and take the moral high ground, even if you're legally "right."
I wasn't taking a moral high ground. I was just saying that it doesn't matter in the slightest how you drive, because there will always be someone wanting to faster, someone wanting to go slower, someone weaving lanes, someone texting and driving, and all the other stuff people do. And there's always the guy who will pass you real fast, just to exit off. Just put it on the speed limit and drive.

Also, the way you described it, I'm on the side of "Bubba", IF the other guy was riding his butt.
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I wasn't taking a moral high ground. I was just saying that it doesn't matter in the slightest how you drive, because there will always be someone wanting to faster, someone wanting to go slower, someone weaving lanes, someone texting and driving, and all the other stuff people do. And there's always the guy who will pass you real fast, just to exit off. Just put it on the speed limit and drive.

Also, the way you described it, I'm on the side of "Bubba", IF the other guy was riding his butt.
No, he was doing just as you said in the previous post, doing the speed limit in the left lane. The guy in the pickup was being very aggressive, laying on his horn, flashing his brights, and tailgating. The guy in the Camry wouldn't move over, so the guy in the truck passes on the right, and instead of just overtaking, slams on his brakes right in front of the guy.

Didn't really seem worth it to me IMO.

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, he was doing just as you said in the previous post, doing the speed limit in the left lane. The guy in the pickup was being very aggressive, laying on his horn, flashing his brights, and tailgating. The guy in the Camry wouldn't move over, so the guy in the truck passes on the right, and instead of just overtaking, slams on his brakes right in front of the guy.

Didn't really seem worth it to me IMO.
In that case, Bubba is the one who should've ended up in the ditch then. I must of read it wrong.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
In that case, Bubba is the one who should've ended up in the ditch then. I must of read it wrong.
It was a very bad situation for the guy in the car. He didn't have enough money for a tow, and nobody, to my knowledge, got the truck's plate #. When push comes to shove, I'll just let the idiot go by, especially if they're in a lifted pickup. For me, moving to the right lane is so much simpler. And I've personally never had any serious road rage problems in the 10 years that I've been driving.

On an unrelated note, every time I've tried to seriously hypermile, other cars always seem to pull out in front of me and/or cut me off, causing me to slam on my brakes and ruin the great mileage that I was getting. So I've largely abandoned it.

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a very bad situation for the guy in the car. He didn't have enough money for a tow, and nobody, to my knowledge, got the truck's plate #. When push comes to shove, I'll just let the idiot go by, especially if they're in a lifted pickup. For me, moving to the right lane is so much simpler. And I've personally never had any serious road rage problems in the 10 years that I've been driving.

On an unrelated note, every time I've tried to seriously hypermile, other cars always seem to pull out in front of me and/or cut me off, causing me to slam on my brakes and ruin the great mileage that I was getting. So I've largely abandoned it.
I pretty much stay in the right lane. I have no desire to get anywhere quickly. The only time I might speed or drive crazy, was if a family member was rushed to the Hospital or something similar, then I'll probably drive like an idiot.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I pretty much stay in the right lane. I have no desire to get anywhere quickly. The only time I might speed or drive crazy, was if a family member was rushed to the Hospital or something similar, then I'll probably drive like an idiot.
When I need to be somewhere quickly, I drive fast, but never aggressively. I give plenty of space when I pass, and I never tailgate. I try to be as courteous as I can at speed, and I've never had any problems in that situation either. I've only had one ticket in my life, for an expired brake tag of all things! lol And it costs as much as 30+ over speeding ticket where I live.

And one thing I've noticed more of lately is drivers turning on their emergency flashers and then driving down the road as if they were oblivious, like nothing out of the ordinary is happening. I've never understood that.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How is shutting off your car while coasting down a hill dangerous? Have done it many times before. I'm still breathing...
Turning off engine is akin to the GM ignition switch issue: No: Power Steering, brakes, turn signals, and when all else fails the air bags aren't functional ...
Not sure how an automatic or CVT likes power off coasting, or restart at speed.
Oh, and it's illegal in most states.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I have been doing hypermile techniques since I first started driving in 92, long before that term was coined. This is all stuff my driving coach taught me, except for killing the engine. I used to drive like a bat out of hell and still easily beat the EPA in just about any car. I used to get mid 30's doing 85+ in my V8 lexus's and my friends Supra TT would touch 40mpg on a long 80mph trip. Nowadays I drive slow and take it a little further. I always stay right, and even ride with one wheel on the shoulder when I get someone behind me on a 2 lane to allow them an easy view to pass. If it's busy I go the speed of traffic though. When I Uber I drive above the limit, accelerate at a decent rate, use A/C and idle a ton waiting for customers and I still end up in the high 30's for mixed driving. This car rocks for mileage. I found out that if you put it in N at lights you can shut down without resetting the radio and electronics. Then just push the button and slide it back into D. I have only done this twice for train crossings, but I do it a lot parking and waiting for Uber fares.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Welcome to Earth. What planet are you from? Was it a long journey?
A light foot does wonders, and the Supra had a high flow exhaust, intake, and downpipe along with a lightened flywheel. We used to drive from NC to FL every weekend and alternate cars. I could coax 30 out of my Buick Park Avenue Ultra and my Lincoln Towncar on long 80 mph trips too.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A light foot does wonders, and the Supra had a high flow exhaust, intake, and downpipe along with a lightened flywheel. We used to drive from NC to FL every weekend and alternate cars. I could coax 30 out of my Buick Park Avenue Ultra and my Lincoln Towncar on long 80 mph trips too.
Do you treat B00BIES well to get that bossome MPG? Any special tricks to make your B00BIES perform well for you?

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You didn't say 10 under, you just said under. And no bud, the speed limit is the maximum, not the minimum, no matter what state you live in. You still have to obey the speed limit, even in the "passing" lane.
I didn't say anything other than what you quoted; that was my only post in this thread. Anyway I'm not sure what you're arguing against because none of it is anything I said or even implied. If you're going under the speed limit in the passing lane, and obstructing traffic flow, then get out of the left lane. That's it. No speeding required.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a fan of realistic Hypermiling. I mean normal driving with having the AC running, sometimes passengers on board, lower but normal speeds and of course not dumping weight or taping clearances of the car. :D

With summer tires and ideal PSI, I managed to drive 454 miles (which is 717 kilometers) with one gas tank. When filling the car up with gas, I realized that there were two liters left, so I could have driven a bit longer.

My goal is to hit 500 miles (approx. 800 kilometers). I think its possible on streets with a good traffic flow but where I live there are just too much traffic light and the absolute opposite of good traffic flow.

What's the longest distance you managed to drive with one gas tank?
Question is for gasoline Civics, not the Diesel engine Civics. ;)

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
Ever since I got my Civic I have been trying to get my average mpg as good as I can get it because it's such a satisfying feeling to see your average mpg go up (or maybe I'm just the weirdest person int he world). Whenever I drive I try to increase it by doing simple things like coasting on hills, setting cruise control, accelerating slowly, etc. etc.

So I never knew this was a thing until my friend got in the car with me and told me I was "Hypermiling". Apparently lots of Prius owners do this, which I'm not too fond of being categorized with Prius owners, but it seems we have quite a bit in common!

Does anyone else do this?
Honda Civic 10th gen Hypermiling 02335194-C486-4052-A0D7-C11FF57ACD71
Sponsored