Hypermiling

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Ever since I got my Civic I have been trying to get my average mpg as good as I can get it because it's such a satisfying feeling to see your average mpg go up (or maybe I'm just the weirdest person int he world). Whenever I drive I try to increase it by doing simple things like coasting on hills, setting cruise control, accelerating slowly, etc. etc.

So I never knew this was a thing until my friend got in the car with me and told me I was "Hypermiling". Apparently lots of Prius owners do this, which I'm not too fond of being categorized with Prius owners, but it seems we have quite a bit in common!

Does anyone else do this?
Sponsored

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
YES! I do it too. I have gotten up to 61.6 but no higher. In July I will be driving to Denver from PHX so will try to see if I can surpass my record high. People do not believe me until I show them the screen on the dash or the pix in my phone.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
YES! I do it too. I have gotten up to 61.6 but no higher. In July I will be driving to Denver from PHX so will try to see if I can surpass my record high. People do not believe me until I show them the screen on the dash or the pix in my phone.

OP
OP
lmoore1436

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Haha this is one of the main reasons I get excited for long highway trips :p I never got to 61.6 though, I reset it for a trip to Tennessee and got up to 52.3 but it went down to 41 after all the city driving.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

Apologies, there seems to be something wrong with my mouse, I only meant to post ONE reply, can't seem to delete the others. Sorry.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Haha this is one of the main reasons I get excited for long highway trips :p I never got to 61.6 though, I reset it for a trip to Tennessee and got up to 52.3 but it went down to 41 after all the city driving.
I am changing schools for next year (I teach) and the new location is very remote and north via a freeway (101 Loop) that was just used to film scenes for the new Transformer movies, it is a great drive, not busy so I can set the cruise to 58/59 (Under 60 is the best so far) and the mileage just goes up and up.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am changing schools for next year (I teach) and the new location is very remote and north via a freeway (101 Loop) that was just used to film scenes for the new Transformer movies, it is a great drive, not busy so I can set the cruise to 58/59 (Under 60 is the best so far) and the mileage just goes up and up.
I need to try it at 49 MPH and see and again at 55. Trouble is here, most people are driving at 70 to 80+. It can be a daunting experience to travel so slowly while others are recklessly buzzing around you as closely as they can to piss you off because they are so offended you got in their way.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
I did not hyper mile but on a trip to Orlando from Ft. Myers we traveled 112 miles and averaged 50.1 MPG. Caught the traffic lights right in the towns we had to go through and rest was highway miles. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I need to try it at 49 MPH and see and again at 55. Trouble is here, most people are driving at 70 to 80+. It can be a daunting experience to travel so slowly while others are recklessly buzzing around you as closely as they can to piss you off because they are so offended you got in their way.
Trying not to judge - but its not the best idea to try going that slow if the rest of traffic is moving 20-30+ MPH faster than you're trying to go, regardless of what lane you're in.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The posted speed is 55 for part and 65 for part, there is plenty of room to pass, and yes I agree there are times when a driver just cannot impede traffic regardless of the posted speed limit, but this road has very light traffic and is very easy to see far down the road. I'm referring to cars that can see I'm traveling at a slower speed in the right lane from over a mile back and then come speeding right up on your butt and at the very last moment change lanes just to be a putz.

OP
OP
lmoore1436

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
The posted speed is 55 for part and 65 for part, there is plenty of room to pass, and yes I agree there are times when a driver just cannot impede traffic regardless of the posted speed limit, but this road has very light traffic and is very easy to see far down the road. I'm referring to cars that can see I'm traveling at a slower speed in the right lane from over a mile back and then come speeding right up on your butt and at the very last moment change lanes just to be a putz.
Sounds a lot like northern Virginia! At least you're in the right lane... Here we have people in the far left lane going UNDER the speed limit.