Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter?

rr1443

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now that the Hybrid Shifter is out, is there anyone who can chime in on how it is? Ideally someone who has owned both the Hybrid and Acuity but I feel like that's unlikely. Anything is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not Type R shifter and save a buck or $350?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
rr1443

rr1443

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have it as well, use to have the stock R shifter with all the Acuity mods as well. I bought the Hybrid Racing shifter and can't wait to compare the two.
excited for your feedback, thanks in advance !

OP
OP
rr1443

rr1443

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
bump? anyone can give a solid comparison?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock is pretty decent. Adding Acuity parts to it makes it even better. It almost feels like the current ND MX-5 gearbox (directly bolted on top of transmission, no cables) with its solid and precise shifts.

Last edited:

OP
OP
rr1443

rr1443

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock is pretty decent. Adding Acuity parts to it makes it even better. It almost feels like the current ND MX-5 gearbox (directly bolted on top of transmission, no cables) with its solid and precise shifts.
more specifically looking for a Hybrid Racing shifter vs. Acuity shifter comparison, but I appreciate the feedback regardless, thanks!

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
Can anyone detail the specific differences between each shifter?
Pros & cons of each?

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Howdy !

Let me see if i can help by giving you my opinions and talk about the differences between both shifter assemblies.

First off let me be clear, i do run an Acuity assembly in my car but i have had other acuity setups such as stage 2 and even just the cable bushings.

I have recently had the privilege on driving a 10th gen Si sedan with a hybrid racing assembly installed. At first if you look at the two just by their designs and their price points you probably will not be able to tell much of a difference, but after driving both back to back there are some key differences that i would like to point out.

Hybrid shifter has a decent throw with a nice and reassuring weighted in gear "clunk" and has a nice gold color if that is your thing. It has good adjustability just like my acuity shifter, but the main difference I notice between the two is the way they both go into gear and the "slop" of both shifters while in gear as well as the adjustment areas.

In comparison to the Acuity full shifter assembly, the Hybrid Racing assembly has more play and side to side slop in gear and even in neutral. Although the Acuity costs a bit more, you are getting MORE adjustibility, more strength in the frame, and more consistent/precise shifts. If I were spending upwards of 400$ on a shifter i would want the best product. The Acuity also has a wonderful engagement point when returning the shifter back to neutral. It is hard to miss a gear with the Acuity.

In conclusion either shifter assembly is going to solve the main issue... throw and feel but if you are looking for the best feedback, most strength, least amount of play while in gear, and near limitless adjustment for your money that is all backed by a company with a motorsport background in its design and testing, then Acuity would be the first on my list.

Last edited:

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback!

A few things I would like you and others to consider...

1) "slop" is a very interesting term and can be interpreted in different ways by different people. With that said, there are ways to mask this type of movement by overloading bearings, putting overly harsh springs, etc. All MIGHT remove this "slop" however you will increase the amount of force it takes to actually change gears. This could be a good or bad thing depending on what YOU like. From our experience, most people don't, and we agree.

2) Adjustability is great. Giving customers the ability to really dial in what they like is key, it's something we spent a lot of time developing. If you spend a lot of time working on these cars and really taking the measurement points, you'll know that there really isn't much room to "adjust" the shifter to get a shorter throw. It is possible, sure, but you risk moving the cable outside of the proper angle. When you start extending the lower rod, it's going to put more stress on your shifter cables. That is not a good thing.

3) Don't confuse tightness or harshness with strength. Just because the gear change feels hard and tight, doesn't mean it is stronger. The steel base of our shifter can take more force than any human arm can possibly apply and is certainly much stronger than it needs to be. Again, this might be just terminology but it was worth mentioning.

In the end, we suggest all customers feel both and use what you prefer. We have thousands of customers all over the world that love the shifter kits we have made for them and this won't be the last. We have been building and racing Honda's for the last 20 years, and it is that experience that we use to dial in what we feel works best for these cars, it is ultimately, our passion.

-David
[email protected]

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock Type R shifter is nowhere near as good as either of these shifters.
My buddy had the same thought, has both an SI and a type r. He didn't understand why I would spend that much on a shifter as he felts they were so good stock. He let me drive his type r in exchange for driving my SI with full acuity and he says he has been thinking about it since then as it was so nice. And I have been thinking about how much I want a type r.
Sponsored