Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am somewhat building a short throw shifter set-up myself since I cant really afford the full Acuity assembly. This is what I have so far...

1) Type R 10th Gen Shifter assembly $45
2) Acuity Base Bushings $20
3) Acuity Short Shifter Springs $24
5) Torque Solutions Short Shifter Adapter$53

So far, my total is $142. I will install this set up and see. I am contemplating on getting the Acuity Cable Bushings which is another $70. That will put my total to $212. I also contemplated on getting the Acuity POCO shifter knob which is around $80 but it is now unavailable anywhere even in the Acuity Instruments website. So, I might consider shortening then rethreading the shift rod as @Jeffers suggested in this thread (that was genius).

So, all in all I think I can achieve a short throw that I can live with.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 7.11.12 PM.png
Type R shifter should not use short throw adapter as Acuity stated "Short Throw Adapter is not recommended for use with the Civic Type R (FK8) shifter due to excessive shifter cable angle when used together"
Sponsored

LanceSI-10thgen

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI Sedan 2018 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Type R shifter should not use short throw adapter as Acuity stated "Short Throw Adapter is not recommended for use with the Civic Type R (FK8) shifter due to excessive shifter cable angle when used together"

Thanks for the info but does this apply to the newer 2020 Type R shifters as it is already made shorter? Mine I think came from a 2018 Type R model.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info but does this apply to the newer 2020 Type R shifters as it is already made shorter? Mine I think came from a 2018 Type R model.
This applies to all R shifters.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
It's quite the task to get access to the shifter, so rather just do it once lol. You didn't try the 2020 shifter without the mods by chance, did you?
You are correct in that it does take time to get everything disassembled. I did not try just the type-r shifter by itself... going from si -> plain type-r will only shorten the throws up and down. I do not think it would be worth the install time for just a swap with no added parts.

The full adjustable shifter is still a good bit more money than type-r + stage-2. Acuity does have a combo for the shifter and the cable bushings (stage-3) but that puts you over $500. I think for a non-race car, stage-2 is where you want to be. But I understand anyone who does want stage-3... cause race car!

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh I have the Hybrid Racing full short shifter but was thinking about selling it and have some extra cash on hand and getting the 2020 R shifter instead since no work in Cali rn because of Bay Area Lockdown
I have type r shifter, also HR short shift and also acuity shifter..
Oem type r shifter cant compare to HR and acuity shifter.
HR has shorter gate spacing and throw compare to oem type r shifter.
Acuity has stiffer spring that make the shift return alot faster and feel very good especially from 2nd to 3rd gate.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have type r shifter, also HR short shift and also acuity shifter..
Oem type r shifter cant compare to HR and acuity shifter.
HR has shorter gate spacing and throw compare to oem type r shifter.
Acuity has stiffer spring that make the shift return alot faster and feel very good especially from 2nd to 3rd gate.
I have HR shifter and will be selling it lol. Already got the 2020 Type R shifter. 2020 R shifter is different vs the 17-19

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have HR shifter and will be selling it lol. Already got the 2020 Type R shifter. 2020 R shifter is different vs the 17-19
let us know how 2020 type R shifter compare to your HR shifter?
I heard there is no diff in gate spacing but has little bit shorter throw compare to 17-19 but not by much.
wonder if you can chime in for your feedback

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
let us know how 2020 type R shifter compare to your HR shifter?
I heard there is no diff in gate spacing but has little bit shorter throw compare to 17-19 but not by much.
wonder if you can chime in for your feedback

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2020 Type-R Shifter - 32 + 13 shipping = $45
Acuity Stage 2 Kit - 225 + free shipping = $225

The type-r shifter was purchased from one of the online oem honda parts sellers... just find one closest to you to minimize shipping.
The Acuity was purchased from their website.

Part number for the shifter is 54100-TGH-G01... be careful when ordering the shifter, the difference between 2019 and 2020 is only 1 letter. The 2020 shifter is supposedly shorter than the 2019. (according to honda press releases for 2020 type-r)
How'd you even get the 2020 Type R shifter? I ordered it through one of the cheaper online honda parts store and they just refunded me today saying it's on national backorder. Also called my local dealers and said no ETA on when it'll be available.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
How'd you even get the 2020 Type R shifter? I ordered it through one of the cheaper online honda parts store and they just refunded me today saying it's on national backorder. Also called my local dealers and said no ETA on when it'll be available.
Part numbers on the box and the item all matched 54100-TGH-G01 so either i got lucky and they had in stock or they sent me a 2019 and forged all the stickers... my guess is on got lucky.

I also purchased mine about 3 weeks ago so maybe they sold out since then???

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Part numbers on the box and the item all matched 54100-TGH-G01 so either i got lucky and they had in stock or they sent me a 2019 and forged all the stickers... my guess is on got lucky.

I also purchased mine about 3 weeks ago so maybe they sold out since then???
This is the 2020 R a buddy sent me pics of. Also is your shifts pretty short? Heard it’s 2x shorter vs 17-19
Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 0BFA1B2D-B566-4AD6-BC22-6C35C13E6EC3
Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? D3A936AC-7DDB-4503-8541-686CD36EA519

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
This is the 2020 R a buddy sent me pics of. Also is your shifts pretty short? Heard it’s 2x shorter vs 17-19
Yeah they are really short... and my shifter came in green bag and i remember thinking when i had the 2 next to each other (20 si and 20 type-r) that they look really similar. The SI shaft tapers down and then has a smooth section and then threads where the type-r tapers down in diameter and then straight to the threads. (Like your photo) This was the biggest visual difference. I didn't spend too much time comparing the two since I was in a time crunch to get the install done. I only took one photo... need to figure out how to upload on this forum.

Actually my only complaint is that my hand barley fits between the shift knob and console when in 1st, the throws are so short. There is more room when in 3rd and 5th and a lot more space in the even gears. I might raise the shift knob a little on the shaft to get some more clearance (its at the lowest it can go right now). But i never had a 19 type-r to compare, so can't directly answer your question.... i went straight from stock 20 SI -> 20 type-r with stage 2 Acuity upgrades.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I only took one photo... need to figure out how to upload on this forum.
Here is the 1 pic I took before starting to put the center console back together.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? typerShifter
Sponsored