Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
acuity vs hybrid, i got the acuity and would say regarding the stiffness, i seem to see a few peeps wanting a stiffer spring from the hybrid. the shifter knob on a acuity seems to make a difference, bigger size wise seems to make it easier, or feel better.
i believe that the acuity transmits more noise than the stock shifter, a high pitch sound, could be, but cant hear it above the radio anyway.
my acuity does not have a plastic spring sleeve. sn# thirty something. bought on noir friday.
Sponsored

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
acuity vs hybrid, i got the acuity and would say regarding the stiffness, i seem to see a few peeps wanting a stiffer spring from the hybrid. the shifter knob on a acuity seems to make a difference, bigger size wise seems to make it easier, or feel better.
i believe that the acuity transmits more noise than the stock shifter, a high pitch sound, could be, but cant hear it above the radio anyway.
my acuity does not have a plastic spring sleeve. sn# thirty something. bought on noir friday.
Just wanted to clarify: Our full shifters don't use rubber sleeves on the springs like the 1918 product we offer due to the higher force exerted by the spring. On the 1918 spring we produce for the OEM shifter, the primary purpose of the rubber is actually to reduce lateral play in the shifter caused by less-than-perfect fitment between the spring and shifter, due to tolerances in the OEM plastic bits.

While it would be a welcome addition to the full-shifter for nvh purposes, the higher spring load on the full shifters prohibits it as it would wear out the rubber too rapidly. Minimizing wear rate on all parts we design is a high-priority for us during development and testing since that's what determines how long you get to enjoy the benefits of the parts you buy. Only posting this to provide some insights into why some features are included in some parts and omitted on others. :)

~Russ

Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I shortened my otherwise stock shifter.
I used a 10mm x 1.50 die as a guide to hacksaw 2 cm off the top of the shift rod.
[This also helps to clean the threads after cutting] Then I cut threads down the length of the rod to the first bend. Height of the shift ball is now 8.5 cm above the console in the neutral position. Simply shortening length the shifter shortens the throw, and gave me more accurate shifts.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 4

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 5

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am going to comment on this thread once more. I have an Acuity Fully Adjustable Short Shifter. I cannot say enough good things about it. The quality is absolutely exceptional. It is miles better than the stock shifter! I do need to try out their ESCO shift knobs as I think the taller cylinder wall may provide better leverage.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
let me just add as well. I own a 17 sport and its stock shift is just slop feel. My complaints were miles distance throws, loose feeling, nudgy, soft.
I added an extension and it helped shorten the throws but still felt sloppy.
I added the acuity parts: rocker arm, spring, aluminum base bushing, extension, cable bushing, and it made big improvement. So I settled for it for a good while.
Then Acuity decides to release a whole assembly. I was shocked at the price. I thought man I dont think that expensive assembly is going to sell because the small parts already improved my shifter alot. Remind you I had an acuity full assembly in my 9th Si and it felt incredible. My hatchback felt nowhere near my 9th.
So I pulled the trigger on the expensive acuity full assembly.
It is well worth it. It notice a more improvement in my shifter.
I didnt max out my adjustability. My throws are shorter, firm, stiff, crispy shifts, tight, precise.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
let me just add as well. I own a 17 sport and its stock shift is just slop feel. My complaints were miles distance throws, loose feeling, nudgy, soft.
I added an extension and it helped shorten the throws but still felt sloppy.
I added the acuity parts: rocker arm, spring, aluminum base bushing, extension, cable bushing, and it made big improvement. So I settled for it for a good while.
Then Acuity decides to release a whole assembly. I was shocked at the price. I thought man I dont think that expensive assembly is going to sell because the small parts already improved my shifter alot. Remind you I had an acuity full assembly in my 9th Si and it felt incredible. My hatchback felt nowhere near my 9th.
So I pulled the trigger on the expensive acuity full assembly.
It is well worth it. It notice a more improvement in my shifter.
I didnt max out my adjustability. My throws are shorter, firm, stiff, crispy shifts, tight, precise.
Thanks for taking a moment to write that up; I think a lot of people think how you did when you had the stage 2 kit and probably need to hear this. Your exact situation is one we actually run into often. We really wouldn't have released the stage 2 and stage 3 kits if there weren't' appreciable differences between them. The stage 2 is a great kit, but it was meant to be a middle ground for those who would not want to spend the money on the stage 3 kit who also couldn't stand the shortcomings of the stock shifter. We try not to release parts that can't provide some tangible benefit over what we currently offer. :)

Glad you enjoyed the stage 2 kit and the stage 3 even more!

~Russ

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have buddyclub, acuity, and hybrid racing.
I started with buddyclub with my sport hatch, waste of money. shift feeling is not any better than stock, it is just shorter rod and little bit shorter throw
I then switched to acuity short shifter on my sport hatch. It is way better and shorter throw compare to stock shifter, and also better than my stock CTR shifter. No complain so far.
I purposely bought HR for my ctr during black friday sale, so that I can compare.
I didnt have time to install it until today. will give feedback.

Last edited:

Re-spect

First Name
Fazil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I started with buddyclub with my sport hatch, waste of money. shift feeling is not any better than stock, it is just shorter rod.
I then switched to acuity short shifter on my sport hatch. It is way better and shorter throw compare to stock shifter, and also better than my stock CTR shifter. No complain so far.
I purposely bought HR for my ctr during black friday sale, so that I can compare.
Any word?

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
All I know is Acuity is infamous when it comes to their shifter assembly. Tried and true on the 9th gen and still killing it in 10th gen.

I never tried Hybrid but I do own Acuity and it’s my second favorite mod on my car (1st is KTuner).

GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I started with buddyclub with my sport hatch, waste of money. shift feeling is not any better than stock, it is just shorter rod.
We're all so eager to hear an update from you? Any feedback on the hybrid shifter?

Also looking to see if anyone here has tried their cable bushings?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed.
Short answer is.. acuity is better.

Long answer is.. acuity has shorter throw, more stiff shift feeling, alot more stiff.
HR shift throw is precise but it just too soft even with the most stiff spring they provide in dec.
I dont like it too soft but it is good for those who like short throw, precise but yet no need to muscle among gears.

It comes another spring that is more soft. i honestly dont know why someone would like it with such a soft spring..

I pair HR shifter with a heavy knob, 400g.

I will very lightly sell HR and buy acuity when they go on sale again.

Final verdict, if you track your car and care alot your shift feeling, pay extra for acuity.
If you are more casual spiritual driver that wants shorter throw and yet have decent feeling shifting, you can save some money by choosing HR.

Well.. the HR red frame does look sexy but it is not like anyone going to see it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 20200205_195040

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter? 20200205_184223

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The hybrid feels amazing with their stainless counter sunk knob, they recently released a stiffer spring which I am waiting to receive to swap. My only complaint about the hybrid was that when you use it with a heavy shift knob, it gets sloppier hoping that the stiffer spring will finally make it perfect for both daily and spirited driving. The Acuity was great with a heavy shift knob, with a light knob I found myself accidentally triggering the rev match in the CTR when I would use too much force to pop it out of gear.

GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Installed.
Short answer is.. acuity is better.

Long answer is.. acuity has shorter throw, more stiff shift feeling, alot more stiff.
HR shift throw is precise but it just too soft even with the most stiff spring they provide in dec.
I dont like it too soft but it is good for those who like short throw, precise but yet no need to muscle among gears.

It comes with softer spring and i honestly dont know why someone would like it with such a soft spring..

I pair HR shifter with a heavy knob, 400g.

I will be very lightly sell HR and buy acuity when they go on sale again.

Final verdict, if you track your car and care alot your shift feeling, pay extra for acuity
If you are more casual spiritual driver that wants shorter throw and yet have decent feeling shifting, you can save some money by choosing HR.

Well.. the HR red frame does look sexy but it is not like you can see it.

20200205_195040.jpg

20200205_184223.jpg
Thank you so much!

The CTR is my daily driver and I've never had the pleasure of using an Acuity shifter. I'm thinking maybe the Hybrid may be a better choice for me personally to kind of transition to something not as mechanical as the Acuity, but that's just a guess.

My previous car had a very sloppy shift, so moving to the CTR felt great, but now I'm curious to go one step further.

I'm starting by just replacing the cable bushings to see how that feels and then maybe I'll go with Hybrid considering I can save some money and I'm not tracking the car, plus there's less to fiddle with. Haha

Thanks again!

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you so much!

The CTR is my daily driver and I've never had the pleasure of using an Acuity shifter. I'm thinking maybe the Hybrid may be a better choice for me personally to kind of transition to something not as mechanical as the Acuity, but that's just a guess.

My previous car had a very sloppy shift, so moving to the CTR felt great, but now I'm curious to go one step further.

I'm starting by just replacing the cable bushings to see how that feels and then maybe I'll go with Hybrid considering I can save some money and I'm not tracking the car, plus there's less to fiddle with. Haha

Thanks again!
If that is the case, i think HR short shifter is for you.
It is more solid than oem and also precise. I just dont like it too soft

Last edited:

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
my Acuity short shifter just shipped the other day cant wait to install that bad boy and get rid of the crappy stock shifter
Sponsored