Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
How do you find the centering spring compared to stock? I drove my buddies type r after he installed his hybrid shifter. I found it still felt very sloppy while in gear.
If you expect a shifter to move only to change the gear and that is it, I think you should adjust your expectations. If you want a shifter that has no other movement, you'd be straining your arm with every gear change. Besides, the factory shifter cables have a lot of "slop" in them... just because the shifter arm is moving doesn't mean that motion is in the shifter... it will still be moving the cables.

Try changing the shifter cable bushings and using the harder shifter spring, that's a nice happy place.
Sponsored

yunggunz846

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I broke my tab also on my Si on the left side shifter cable. I did not depress the tab and it broke when trying to spin it. The top one spun without breaking though. But as long as they are rotated, they will not come loose from the shifter when you install.

Also, on the Si, we dont have those big grey metal or rubber things behind the shifter cable. What are those and why does the Si not have them?

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
I broke my tab also on my Si on the left side shifter cable. I did not depress the tab and it broke when trying to spin it. The top one spun without breaking though. But as long as they are rotated, they will not come loose from the shifter when you install.

Also, on the Si, we dont have those big grey metal or rubber things behind the shifter cable. What are those and why does the Si not have them?
Honda adds isolators to shifter cables to reduce noise and vibrations through the cable wire. Without them you'd likely hear and feel an increase in NVH inside of the cabin. They're likely different between the Type R and Si because they have different transmissions and perhaps transmit that resonance it in their own way.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda adds isolators to shifter cables to reduce noise and vibrations through the cable wire. Without them you'd likely hear and feel an increase in NVH inside of the cabin. They're likely different between the Type R and Si because they have different transmissions and perhaps transmit that resonance it in their own way.
I have your shifter for my Type R and love it, did you guys release the heavier spring? Is it a pain to install once the shifter is already installed in the vehicle?

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have your shifter for my Type R and love it, did you guys release the heavier spring? Is it a pain to install once the shifter is already installed in the vehicle?
The hardest spring available has been installed in every shifter since the middle of December 2019. If you purchased a shifter after that, you've got the most current version.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The hardest spring available has been installed in every shifter since the middle of December 2019. If you purchased a shifter after that, you've got the most current version.
To be honest, I got mine new on ebay and I am not sure which spring mine came with.

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for this! I wish I saw it sooner as I installed mine yesterday - but very helpful video, it looks like I did it right. I'm liking it so far. It is super short now - does NOT feel like a 25% reduction in throw - it feels like more. Definitely has "race car" feel to shifting now. My bushings come in on Friday and I'm anxious to get them in too. Thanks!

Hey guys - I wanted to share that I posted up an installation video for the Hybrid Racing short shifter into my FK8. This is a great mod; the shifter feels really solid and smooth. I honestly wouldn't have known how much free play was actually in the stock setup without swapping to this shifter. I also really like that this kit DOES NOT require any base bushings. Which is a little confusing, since Hybrid Racing does actually supply 10th gen Civic shifter base bushings. They just designed this shifter to not need them (instead it hard bolts right into the chassis under the center console.) You would only want those shifter base bushings if you were adding them to the stock shifter.

The install is really simple (albeit a little tedious with removing interior panels and wire retention clips) and is able to be completed with the least amount of tools I have used compared to any other modification to date. You only really need a Phillips and flat head screwdriver, maybe 1 or 2 plastic pry tools, a 5 mm Allen wrench, and a basic socket set (I believe I only used the 10 mm like always.) If you decide to swap out the centering spring to the less stiff one, Hybrid Racing does recommend a specific torque on their screws but since that step is optional I wouldn't say a torque wrench is required here.

I only have 2 other remarks to make on this shifter:
1- Give yourself a few days to get used to the change in gate spacing and throw. Everything felt a little stiff the few days and I found myself missing gears like an amateur. Once you get the rhythm though it feels amazing.

2- Make sure you angle the dogleg for the shift knob in the appropriate range. Hybrid Racing does specify a range that will work, and I thought I was within that, but I think I initially had it rotated too far clockwise around the main shifter rod. I say this because I had a little difficulty going into reverse - not enough that it was immediately apparent that my issue was this adjustment though. It wasn't until I put the shifter into reverse and stuck my finger between the rod and the edge of the shift boot trim to feel how close it really was. So my advice is before you button everything back up, snap the shift boot trim into the console and run through the gears to make sure you have clearance on the left when in gears 1 and 2, and clearance on the right when in reverse. Actually stick your finger down and feel the clearance - shoot for a fingers width at least.

For reference Hybrid Racing does supply set of text instructions that you can print off and have during your install as well, linked here:

https://guides.hybrid-racing.com/Gu...Civic+Short+Shifter+Install+Guide/245?lang=en

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for this! I wish I saw it sooner as I installed mine yesterday - but very helpful video, it looks like I did it right. I'm liking it so far. It is super short now - does NOT feel like a 25% reduction in throw - it feels like more. Definitely has "race car" feel to shifting now. My bushings come in on Friday and I'm anxious to get them in too. Thanks!
Nice! The % of reduction depends on your knob and overall height!

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag