TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Hey guys - I wanted to share that I posted up an installation video for the Hybrid Racing short shifter into my FK8. This is a great mod; the shifter feels really solid and smooth. I honestly wouldn't have known how much free play was actually in the stock setup without swapping to this shifter. I also really like that this kit DOES NOT require any base bushings. Which is a little confusing, since Hybrid Racing does actually supply 10th gen Civic shifter base bushings. They just designed this shifter to not need them (instead it hard bolts right into the chassis under the center console.) You would only want those shifter base bushings if you were adding them to the stock shifter.

The install is really simple (albeit a little tedious with removing interior panels and wire retention clips) and is able to be completed with the least amount of tools I have used compared to any other modification to date. You only really need a Phillips and flat head screwdriver, maybe 1 or 2 plastic pry tools, a 5 mm Allen wrench, and a basic socket set (I believe I only used the 10 mm like always.) If you decide to swap out the centering spring to the less stiff one, Hybrid Racing does recommend a specific torque on their screws but since that step is optional I wouldn't say a torque wrench is required here.

I only have 2 other remarks to make on this shifter:
1- Give yourself a few days to get used to the change in gate spacing and throw. Everything felt a little stiff the few days and I found myself missing gears like an amateur. Once you get the rhythm though it feels amazing.

2- Make sure you angle the dogleg for the shift knob in the appropriate range. Hybrid Racing does specify a range that will work, and I thought I was within that, but I think I initially had it rotated too far clockwise around the main shifter rod. I say this because I had a little difficulty going into reverse - not enough that it was immediately apparent that my issue was this adjustment though. It wasn't until I put the shifter into reverse and stuck my finger between the rod and the edge of the shift boot trim to feel how close it really was. So my advice is before you button everything back up, snap the shift boot trim into the console and run through the gears to make sure you have clearance on the left when in gears 1 and 2, and clearance on the right when in reverse. Actually stick your finger down and feel the clearance - shoot for a fingers width at least.

For reference Hybrid Racing does supply set of text instructions that you can print off and have during your install as well, linked here:

https://guides.hybrid-racing.com/Gu...Civic+Short+Shifter+Install+Guide/245?lang=en
Sponsored

Last edited:

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The more I see this the more I want one

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I know the Hybrid Racing installation guide does not mention/show pictures of, and your video skips it, what is the best trick to remove the shifter cables from the housing?

OP
OP
TheShadow

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know the Hybrid Racing installation guide does not mention/show pictures of, and your video skips it, what is the best trick to remove the shifter cables from the housing?
Yeah sorry I couldn’t find a way to film and work at the same time. Basically just get a good grip on the cables and twist them relative to the stock housing, I used some pliers for a better grip, and the video shows the direction to rotate them. It takes more torque to break them loose than you would think. Hope this helps!

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Yeah sorry I couldn’t find a way to film and work at the same time. Basically just get a good grip on the cables and twist them relative to the stock housing, I used some pliers for a better grip, and the video shows the direction to rotate them. It takes more torque to break them loose than you would think. Hope this helps!
What about the tabs that need to be depressed? Or does the increased torque from the pliers negate the tabs?

OP
OP
TheShadow

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What about the tabs that need to be depressed? Or does the increased torque from the pliers negate the tabs?
Hmm I don’t recall any tabs... like I said I just got a good grip and twisted. From what I understood there wasn’t anything that needed to be depressed or released prior to twisting the cables, but I can’t guarantee there wasn’t a better way than what I described.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
There are tabs. I just used a small flathead to push down on the tab while I twist the cable.

no real need to press down on the tab when reinstalling as it’ll snap into place

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for posting this up as I used the video and the original written instructions for my install. I put in the shifter a few weeks ago I love how easy it is for me to get into gear. This shifter is awesome.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hybrid Racing Short Shifter FK8 Installation Instructions 20191130_143310

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
OP & Hybrid racing-Your video and written instructions were very helpful, thanks!
However I feel there should be some clear steps how to remove the plastic cable housings from the OEM shifter.
It was explained to basically 'grab and twist', which is what I did using pliers. This broke a small plastic retaining tab that, I think, snaps into place to hold the cable firmly in the housing. I'm thinking I should have needed to press down the retaining tab and then twisted them out of the housing.

With the broken tabs and the cables back in the new shifter they are not super tight however I shifted into all gears and they didn't move at all. I added a large zip tie to get them extra secure.

Also the retaining clip on the left cable kicked my ass getting it out and back in. A clear photo how how it sits when install may help. There is a semi-clear photo in the instructions.

Loving the new shifter! Shorter throw and feels super precise. I've only driven it 15'ish miles but I think shifting is too stiff. I'll give it another week and may try the lighter spring that was provided.

Made a short video comparing the OEM vs Hybrid shifter throw:

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did this upgrade last night using your video and Acuity’s. Thanks for the work.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you find the centering spring compared to stock? I drove my buddies type r after he installed his hybrid shifter. I found it still felt very sloppy while in gear.

OP
OP
TheShadow

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How do you find the centering spring compared to stock? I drove my buddies type r after he installed his hybrid shifter. I found it still felt very sloppy while in gear.
I think it is a big improvement. Hybrid also started shipping the shifters with a stiffer spring too, I have yet to install mine but I expect that to help even more.
Sponsored