andy_w_g

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, White
Country flag
Hi, new to this thread and even to civicx; posting from Ontario. =)

Wanted to get thoughts from enthusiasts and those in the 'know':- As we are all aware, production of the Type R this year is low due to plant shutdowns from COVID-19, with many/all stock sold in Canada by now. I'm in the market to purchase a new model, should I try and hunt down any remaining 2020 Type R's in Ontario or any that may still be being shipped to dealers ... or should I just wait until details of the 2021 model are announced and start arriving next year? For example, one dealership I contacted said a 2020 vehicle is coming in 1.5 months and I can hold it with a deposit - can I trust this, do dealerships know that far if one is coming, is 1.5 months too ambitious and it'll be even later?

Some uncertainties influencing the decision I haven't been able to find out are:
  • Is the Swindon, England plant back up and running and if so, are they continuing to make and deliver the 2020 Type R to Canada?
  • Will the Type R even still be produced given the closing of the Swindon plant come July 2021?
  • If the Type R will continue to be produced, where will it be made and wouldn't it have been announced by now to ramp up equipment / plans / etc at the new plant?
  • If I wait until 2021, when do they likely arrive - right at the start in January or in the Spring?
  • Are any details of the 2021 model revealed or even confidently speculated?
  • This Civic's generation began in 2016 and the Type R in 2017, is it not time for a next generation? If so, should I wait until that comes out with expectedly a different design and power rating?
I understand this is a big question and grateful for any insight and opinion the enthusiast community can provide. Thank you!
Sponsored

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I definitely cannot answer those questions per say, but just did an autotrader search for new Type Rs within 250 km of Mississauga and it found ZERO. I think it will be tough to get your hands on one. Maybe keep saving for deposit and down payment on the 2021?

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.....Some uncertainties influencing the decision I haven't been able to find out are:...............
Look hard enough they are out there buds! AutoTrader today shows 8 2020 CTR's (new/used) available, 2 of them in the Ont.
- Swindon continues to build CTR's (current FK8) for the whole world. 2020's are coming into Canada despite the temporary Covid work stoppage.
- As for a next Gen CTR, despite the spy news, everything is speculation at this point. NOTHING IS SET IN STONE - yet!!! Plant closure is 100% a certainty in 2021. Who knows (except Honda) where and if a next Gen will be made. Everyone is GUESSING at this time.
You can wait and "roll the dice" on a 2022 model. 2021 Honda will release a Limited Edition of the current FK8 (1,000 WORLDWIDE - 100 for Canada). All have been pre-sold!!!
The Civic is ripe for the 11th Gen to be introduced. No formal announcement coming from Honda.
Should you wait? Sure, why not! If and when the 11th gen CTR is released, Honda is sure to make it technically better, performance wise.
In my case, I knew exactly what I wanted. A front 2-wheel drive petrol fed pocket rocket with a MANUAL tranny. The FK8 may be the last configured in this way. I had my initial deposit down with the dealer back in 2014. Passed on getting '17 to '19 as I was against the fake bumper intake grills. Knowing that '20 would be the last year for the FK8 out of the UK, changes or not, I was determined to finalize my order. Thankfully Honda addressed my concerns plus made some technical improvements.
This is NOT my daily driver and I make it a point that too avoid traffic. Taking those tight corners and and feeling the TURBO power up that VTEC is my ownership gravy!!!
Canadians are extremely fortunate as MSRP is the most affordable (WORLDWIDE).
Think hard on your next move!!!

OP
OP
andy_w_g

andy_w_g

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look hard enough they are out there buds! AutoTrader today shows 8 2020 CTR's (new/used) available, 2 of them in the Ont.
- Swindon continues to build CTR's (current FK8) for the whole world. 2020's are coming into Canada despite the temporary Covid work stoppage.
- As for a next Gen CTR, despite the spy news, everything is speculation at this point. NOTHING IS SET IN STONE - yet!!! Plant closure is 100% a certainty in 2021. Who knows (except Honda) where and if a next Gen will be made. Everyone is GUESSING at this time.
You can wait and "roll the dice" on a 2022 model. 2021 Honda will release a Limited Edition of the current FK8 (1,000 WORLDWIDE - 100 for Canada). All have been pre-sold!!!
The Civic is ripe for the 11th Gen to be introduced. No formal announcement coming from Honda.
Should you wait? Sure, why not! If and when the 11th gen CTR is released, Honda is sure to make it technically better, performance wise.
In my case, I knew exactly what I wanted. A front 2-wheel drive petrol fed pocket rocket with a MANUAL tranny. The FK8 may be the last configured in this way. I had my initial deposit down with the dealer back in 2014. Passed on getting '17 to '19 as I was against the fake bumper intake grills. Knowing that '20 would be the last year for the FK8 out of the UK, changes or not, I was determined to finalize my order. Thankfully Honda addressed my concerns plus made some technical improvements.
This is NOT my daily driver and I make it a point that too avoid traffic. Taking those tight corners and and feeling the TURBO power up that VTEC is my ownership gravy!!!
Canadians are extremely fortunate as MSRP is the most affordable (WORLDWIDE).
Think hard on your next move!!!
Thanks very much for your response. Glad you were able to get a 2020, what colour?

I'm planning to keep it for a long time and use it whenever possible, including in the winter - but take well care of it too. At this point, I'll see how things go. If they trickle in, then that's great and I'll look out for it. If they don't, well, that's ok at this point.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I got lucky back in May. I messaged my dealer and they had one in the shipping lot....unclaimed.

try to find one now. There is always something better on horizon, but as Drake said you only live once. The time you spend waiting for 2021/22 is time you could’ve been driving the CTR.
My boost blue almost has 5000km already.

OP
OP
andy_w_g

andy_w_g

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got lucky back in May. I messaged my dealer and they had one in the shipping lot....unclaimed.

try to find one now. There is always something better on horizon, but as Drake said you only live once. The time you spend waiting for 2021/22 is time you could’ve been driving the CTR.
My boost blue almost has 5000km already.
Thanks for the reply and congrats! Yup, I'll wait and see.

What are your thoughts on the Boost Blue. Some online pics look attractive and some pics look mediocre. If you happen to live near Kingston, ON, I'd love to take a look in person.

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Thanks for the reply and congrats! Yup, I'll wait and see.

What are your thoughts on the Boost Blue. Some online pics look attractive and some pics look mediocre. If you happen to live near Kingston, ON, I'd love to take a look in person.
Buddy, there is a Boost blue at Cornwall Honda which isn't THAT far from you?

OP
OP
andy_w_g

andy_w_g

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Buddy, there is a Boost blue at Cornwall Honda which isn't THAT far from you?
Haha, trust me, I've contacted all the non-Black ones posted on all the sites, including Cornwall ... they're sold and the dealers just haven't taken them off yet. We have to take the posts with a grain of salt at this point. Thanks for checking though.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
I heard that 2021 Civic Type R will get tuned suspension and more variants like GT and Sport Line. ?

j_limitz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
I have a 2020 CW on order since May 9th, sold order approved by Honda Canada so I am guaranteed to get one, however still no updates as to when it will arrive
Sponsored