Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah I bought in Sanford at that Honda dealer and I super dread taking my car there for the recall.
Yeah, that's the dealer that fucked me every single time. Do not. You don't have to go back to your original dealer.
Sponsored

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Dealer mechanics dont give a F about your car they just do the service, without inspecting the car for any issue when providing the service wich should be done always for customer after all they charge crazy rates for there services

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
IMO ask your dealer for some sort of compensation like an extended warranty on the engine or something. "drain plug washer was loose, but its ok"...but at the same time it leaked enough that it poured all over your driveway when topping it off? yea I don't necessarily buy that. Come to think of it he was probably covering his own ass.

Might be a good idea to get your oil tested when you get your oil changed next. Maybe try DIY!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Gotta agree with the oil analysis recommendation. Blackstone is who you want to use, they will send you a free collection kit and then do the analysis for like 30 dollars. Even if you can't get the dealer to pay for it, do it for the next 3 changes. Well worth the money.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Flat out lying bastards to cover their own sorry ass, hack technician who probably installed it hand tight only.
You really need to look at that drain plug now to see if it looks shiny & new and you’ll hv your answer.
Also look at your receipt too; maybe those dumb asses listed the drain plug on there as replaced.
Drain plugs never need replacing unless they fell out or were beginning to strip

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not going to try and dispute all the advice given... but really there's no need to get all wrapped up in documentation about who did what, and is my motor gonna crap out, and get them to accept fault if there's long term damage. But there is a smarter way to do it, and a little less confrontational, which is more likely to get you what you want & need.

You've got documentation that the car had to be towed because all of the oil came out. Also, you have documentation that they did the last oil change. Oil doesn't empty out of the pan at that rate due to a missing washer... it comes out at that rate due to a missing plug. The plug came out be cause it wasn't torqued properly. It wasn't torqued properly, possibly because the tech for got to use a fresh crush washer... the world may never know.

I'd ask for an oil change and full clean up - Which I'm sure they'll do. I'd also ask for an oil analysis going forward. The dealer should be fairly agreeable to this, they are not very expensive, and will give plenty of information about the condition of your engine and if this had any hidden, long term effect on it. If you have an oil analysis for the next 2 or 3 oil changes, you will know if something bad is going on inside the motor, well before it punches out. This would give me peace of mind as to whether or not any lasting damage occurred. If all clear, then no harm no foul.
Gotta agree with the oil analysis recommendation. Blackstone is who you want to use, they will send you a free collection kit and then do the analysis for like 30 dollars. Even if you can't get the dealer to pay for it, do it for the next 3 changes. Well worth the money.
I agree I wouldn't want to escalate the situation without knowing what could have been the outcome if I gave them a chance, I was going to follow your advice but they beat me to it, they did the oil change and the clean up and I will ask for the analysis for the next oil changes.

This is exactly why I wanted you to jack up the car and inspect it yourself. You could've easily noticed a missing drain plug. Why ask for advice and then not listen!?!? :dunno:

Now you have no clue what happened, and the dealer documented it was just a missing washer?! #Lies
I'm sorry please do not take it personally, I did come for advice but after every one gave their advice I decided to follow some and not others, doesn't mean I don't value your advice, if I had jacks and knew at least a little bit of mechanic or maintenance I would have done it, but unfortunately I'm not as savvy as I would like to be when it comes to cars, and I'm afraid to do make it worst because I did something I don't know.

Holy shit. What an absolute fucking moron. He could've detonated your engine right then and there.

But yeah, 'missing washer' is bullshit. The washer keeps the bolt in place once it's torqued down cause it provides a softer surface to mate against. The whole bolt fell out. They're lying to you. You can practically take the bolt out to it's last thread before oil starts leaking out.

Flat out lying bastards to cover their own sorry ass, hack technician who probably installed it hand tight only.
You really need to look at that drain plug now to see if it looks shiny & new and you’ll hv your answer.
Also look at your receipt too; maybe those dumb asses listed the drain plug on there as replaced.
Drain plugs never need replacing unless they fell out or were beginning to strip
Well I went to pick up the car and I think it's just a case of "the person who makes the calls only knows how to make the calls" when I went to pick it up and saw the work order it said washer but along with other things like DRAIN PLUG MISSING!, so yeah the person making the calls probably doesn't know what everything else means and just read the "washer" part.
Unfrtunately I had to work late so I picked it up when service had closed already so I couldn't talk to the mechanic or service advisor. I will go back Monday.
Here's the work order and how it was documented, I think it good right? It doesn't look like they tried to cover their asses by writing something that was not the obvious.
Honda Civic 10th gen Huge oil leakage. WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 11.14.38 AM

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
For those of you guys looking for a decent dealer near Orlando, Headquarter Honda (Clermont) did well by me when I had a few Si's. They even took extra time to find the clutch chatter problem I was having and getting it replaced under warranty.

They have sold a few Type R's over the years but I don't know how much experience their techs have working on them.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Dang, drain plug missing? Glad they noted that on the service ticket.

If it ran for any amount of time with the sump completely empty, I would be worried of scored bearings, camshafts, oil pump, etc. Basically any moving internal engine component that needs oil most likely have been starved and most likely damaged.

You might be in for a new engine if it genades in the future.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I agree I wouldn't want to escalate the situation without knowing what could have been the outcome if I gave them a chance, I was going to follow your advice but they beat me to it, they did the oil change and the clean up and I will ask for the analysis for the next oil changes.

I'm sorry please do not take it personally, I did come for advice but after every one gave their advice I decided to follow some and not others, doesn't mean I don't value your advice, if I had jacks and knew at least a little bit of mechanic or maintenance I would have done it, but unfortunately I'm not as savvy as I would like to be when it comes to cars, and I'm afraid to do make it worst because I did something I don't know.

Well I went to pick up the car and I think it's just a case of "the person who makes the calls only knows how to make the calls" when I went to pick it up and saw the work order it said washer but along with other things like DRAIN PLUG MISSING!, so yeah the person making the calls probably doesn't know what everything else means and just read the "washer" part.
Unfrtunately I had to work late so I picked it up when service had closed already so I couldn't talk to the mechanic or service advisor. I will go back Monday.
Here's the work order and how it was documented, I think it good right? It doesn't look like they tried to cover their asses by writing something that was not the obvious.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 11.14.38 AM.jpeg
Bud all that happened is what I said - not torqued properly and it backed out - so when the bolt got pushed out it took the washer, if there was one, with it - what they probably found was the drainplug in the plastic underpanels and not the washer - so they went with that line- but either way they'd probably just replace both.

Do it yourself or bribe them to ensure it's done properly. Only options unfortunately. But this is a simple procedure they make complicated by simply skipping -

TORQUE TO 30 FT LBS
HAND TIGHTEN FILTER

You can also create leaks by over tightening the filter - so another thing to look out for / another reason to just do it yourself.

Good luck bud!

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Just a thought but I wonder if they cross threaded the oil plug and didn’t put it back on there properly that’s creating an unreliable seal.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
Good luck,update us what really happened? I myself is DIY not using torque wrench probably will but 40 years of doing it so far good,New drain oil plug gasket all the time and applying thin of oil on oil filter gasket,somehow done it.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 11.14.38 AM.jpeg
Ghost, really sorry you've had to deal with this nonsense. A first option would be to direct your dealer to request the local Honda warranty lead to provide some response on this matter acknowledging the event in documented form. Your concern here is the car engine's integrity = which is extremely right of you to do. If the dealer doesn't do this then option 2. Send a note directly to American Honda advising them of this issue and your obvious concern. I'd send a formal letter, registered; and also email so you've got a solid audit trail here with the warranty provider (Honda) in case things go sideways. And also use the manufacturers contact information available in the manuals and such. In the note restate this dealer has done ALL of the service work to keep the car in warranty. And if needed would be another arrow in the quill if you DO need to take action. If you do this, and Honda doesn't respond; at least you can state they didn't deny that fact when you clearly brought it to their attention, at the time of issue. If it has to get to that - small claims court. And definitely look for another shop to go to, or diy as many have said already. This is a big reason why so many of us have taken on this task, the amount of dough you can save if you invest in yourself is huge. Best to you. Dave

Last edited:

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
When I go to pick it up I'll inquire a bit more about it. And yes it was the same dealer. I'll make sure that they document it. Is there any way to make sure they do? Or just tell them or have them give me a log of what they did?
I just wanted to say that changing motor oil is simple but the care is usually not there when new technicians start working at dealerships and it does not compute in my head why they hire the youngest and least informed candidates but they do. It is a dirty task and not to be done when it is windy. But you know you took care of your baby. Also it gives you a chance to observe the viscosity and appearance and odor of the oil after certain miles of use.

If it was me I would ask for the engine to be tested on a dyno and/or compression checked. Heck they could even use a borescope and check the cylinders. You are on control if you choose to be. You deserve to be irate. The plug will not come out without gross negligence.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Unfortunately all the dealers around us are the same. They've damaged my wheels, tried charging me $250 for an alignment claiming we have some super adjustable suspension after I tried to get in on an alignment sale, forgot some splash pan screws which resulted in my splash pan falling off and being destroyed, tried charging double MSRP for brake pads... Haven't gone to a dealer since unless it was my buddy in Deland working on it, and so far that's just been for tire replacements.
Same here they left the two front bolts off the splash shield upon the first oil change at the dealer-stealer in El Paso and the splash shield was dragging on high spots in the road. The dealer said the young tech did not even work there anymore and their main attitude was to try and pretend it was no big deal my new car already had damages to the splash shield which is thin aluminum.

Often the tiny oil and lube shop guy takes far better care then the dealership hacks. It is very political in dealerships and I have worked at three.
Sponsored