First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yesterday when I was arriving home I started smelling burnt oil, As soon as I parked I traced the small to the back of the car and the whole back was full of oil, from the exhaust to the wink, all trunk full of oil, this is the first time I see this, So I jumped to the Type R reddit and asked there, they suggested it was an oil leak, and that oil was going leaking into the engine and burning at the exhaust, they told me not to start the car and to check the oil level, when I checked it was completely empty So I went and bought 5qtr, I started filling the tank and about half way I started earing a heavy rain like sound and a pool of oil at my feet, when I look underneath the car there was an oil shower going on, not just small leak but literally like a shower with many streams pouring oil. So obviously the car is sitting at home in parking spot, didn't turn on the car at all.
Last oil change was about 3 1/2 months ago and was done at the dealership. Right now it was I think at 60%, I don't put too many miles on the car.
So my questions are, what could have caused this, I have to point out that I did sprint for about 1/4 mile, I don't know if that could cause something like that since this car is designed to do that. Does it look serious? did I do a lot of damage driving it for who knows how long with no oil, why the light didn't turn on? I didn't check for spillage this morning so maybe there's a chance it wasn't empty while driving but rather drained overnight?
I won't start the car nor drive it to the dealership, I will have to call a tow, but I'm afraid the tow would do some damage to the car, is there any specific type of towing truck for this car? I used to have a VW with a body kit and once I needed it towed, 2 tows refused because of the low body and 1 did but broke the front lip. It was a cheap body kit so I didn't care but I definitively care about my CTR so any advice will be highly appreciated.
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Call a tow, take it to Honda. When you call the tow make sure to specify that the car is low to the ground and has a lip on the front- they will send you a truck that can handle it.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Is the oil drain plug still there? Oil filter still visible? When/who did the last oil change?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Who did your oil change? Send them a nasty letter lol

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is your Honda Roadside Assistance still active? I'd let them handle it. They will arrange the tow and it's on them to do it correctly.
Of course how didn't I think of that, thanks.

Is the oil drain plug still there? Oil filter still visible? When/who did the last oil change?
Honda dealership december 23. I was late for work so I didn't check if the plug was there.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
A dealership did this and didnt check the oil drain plug???? Oy Vey

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A dealership did this and didnt check the oil drain plug???? Oy Vey
Would the plug last that long without problems if it wasn't changed/checked?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An oil shower should be pretty easy to spot where the leak is. As suggested, perhaps the drain plug fell out, or the filter is leaking (or missing!). Pour in some more oil and quickly get under the car to inspect where it comes from.

Obviously, jack it up first and remove the metal splash guard underneath prior to doing this.

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Would the plug last that long without problems if it wasn't changed/checked?
The oil drain plug needs to be torqued to 30ft lbs of force -

Not 15

Not 20

Not hand till I feel it snug

I know this because I didn't double check my own stupid self, and put it on with 20ft lbs of force - I smelled a lot of oil and had a nice mess in my garage.

Just get the oil changed, check the torque spec on teh drain plug and go on - if you pulled over fast you're more than likely fine.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The oil drain plug needs to be torqued to 30ft lbs of force -

Not 15

Not 20

Not hand till I feel it snug

I know this because I didn't double check my own stupid self, and put it on with 20ft lbs of force - I smelled a lot of oil and had a nice mess in my garage.

Just get the oil changed, check the torque spec on the drain plug and go on - if you pulled over fast you're more than likely fine.
I think I'm going to have to start learning to do things myself, so I can do my own oil changes and other maintenance stuff.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I think I'm going to have to start learning to do things myself, so I can do my own oil changes and other maintenance stuff.
It's honestly a lot easier than you think - and then you KNOW it's been done right and you can be confident you won't be driving down the road and have some issue like this ruin your day.

For some reason oil changes, as basic as they are, just really don't get done consistently well it seems...

Past that if you can't work on your own car - just ask when dropping it off to ensure the drain bolt is torqued to 30ft lbs - just be nice about it - I tend to bring donuts with me when having car work done to soften them up a bit and get them on my side...

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Pretty much guaranteed your oil plug or filter fell out if there's that much oil raining down to the point of being empty. The only alternative is there's a hole in your block or oil pan and I doubt that since you were still driving when it happened. Count your lucky stars you were close to home cause an engine will pretty much self destruct the second it runs without oil.
Sponsored