Huge oil leakage.

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Jumping on the wagon for poor dealership work. A friend brought an Acura in for service, which includes taking the wheels off and puting back on. A few weeks later we were changing tires together. Guess what I found... A few lug nuts were not even hand tight ... :doh:

Needless to say after that, he'll hand torque every wheel after going to a dealership. He's doesn't work on cars anymore and doesn't trust indie garages so he still goes to dealership, hopefully a different one next time.
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Back in 1990, I had an Acura Integra. Took it to the local Honda dealership (there was no Acura dealer in Athens, GA at the time IIRC) for an oil change. They forgot to put the oil filler cap, the one on top of the engine, back on. Just sat it right there on top of the engine and closed the hood. Foolishly, I did not look under the hood when I picked it up, just drove it home. On the way, had to pull over as the oil pressure plummeted, and oil splashed everywhere in the engine bay. They fixed it all on their dime, but man, that was weird.

Poogles86

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
One more story of a dealership messing up an oil change. I took my Si in for an alignment/oil change. Only had them do the oil change because I hadn't done one in over a year since I barely drive anymore and they were doing the alignment anyway (they didn't even end up doing the alignment)

Anyways, I got home and smelled something burning. After a few more rides and coming home to that burning smell each time, I check under the hood and find a valve cover gasket leak. I checked the oil level and it was overfilled by a good amount. I then looked under the car and found even more oil. I can't pinpoint the exact location but it looks like it may be coming from the RMS. Going to try and get it fixed this weekend.

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
Wonder if the old filter O ring was left on by accident when they installed the new filter. That would leak for sure!

Cainho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Hey OP - I had this exact thing happen to me. Here's my post from back in November: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/oil-leaking-everywhere-disaster.57613/

This was done at Germain Honda in Columbus, Ohio. They are really dreadful and can you believe they didn't even offer me a refund on that disaster of an oil change! I recommend everyone avoid that dealership. The car seems fine to me so far. It's been almost 6 months and the car drives just as well as it ever has. The oil level is constant so it's not burning any oil. I am planning on taking it to my preferred dealership (Roush Honda) to get my first oil change since this fiasco happened. I still have 50% oil life left according to the service indicator but I figure I should get the oil changed and get an oil analysis done too. Plus I'll do that for at least the next three oil changes. I still plan on sending a registered letter to Honda's corporate office detailing this awful experience. I'm curious what they'll do, if anything, to remedy this situation. I'm surprised and relieved that my CTR hasn't had any engine problems. My understanding is that in a situation like this, if anything were to happen to the engine it would happen early on. Good luck OP!
Honda Civic 10th gen Huge oil leakage. IMG-0506

Last edited:

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not to revive a dead thread...but I'm new to the CTR family...and I've been reading to 'catch up'...everyone is SO adamant about correct torque specs on the oil plug - is the CTR different from virtually EVERY other vehicle? In my many years of driving and doing my own oil changes - I have never once used a torque wrench...and I have never once had a disaster of this magnitude (or even close). Maybe I've been lucky...or maybe you all haven't been :)

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Not to revive a dead thread...but I'm new to the CTR family...and I've been reading to 'catch up'...everyone is SO adamant about correct torque specs on the oil plug - is the CTR different from virtually EVERY other vehicle? In my many years of driving and doing my own oil changes - I have never once used a torque wrench...and I have never once had a disaster of this magnitude (or even close). Maybe I've been lucky...or maybe you all haven't been :)
I just have one word answer : FUMOTO

The Fumoto drain valve gets tightened with their washer once and that's the last time it has to be torqued.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Huge oil leakage. 1D899202-FA79-4679-B4DC-A0EEEF1C704F
Yes… a 2nd vote for a Fumoto drain valve..

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I just have one word answer : FUMOTO

The Fumoto drain valve gets tightened with their washer once and that's the last time it has to be torqued.
Ive got one on every vehicle that I do an oil change on. And my new civic will get it too. One question though. Does the CTR not have a low oil pressure warning of some kind?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is that a pic of the CTR installation? Their website says that for the CTR, it requires an adapter, as well. Yours is just the valve... Also - any danger of the valve bouncing open or whatever, thereby dumping all of your oil faster than a James Bond oil-slick maker?

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Is that a pic of the CTR installation? Their website says that for the CTR, it requires an adapter, as well. Yours is just the valve... Also - any danger of the valve bouncing open or whatever, thereby dumping all of your oil faster than a James Bond oil-slick maker?
They come with a little clip that you put over the lever so that it cant come lose. That and the fact that the spring holding them in is pretty tight you really dont need that clip to begin with.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m in the middle of installing some parts so snapped a quick pic and the Fumoto happened to be there.

Dunno anything about an adapter needed for the Type R… did notice a tiny amount of oil accumulation at the thread so maybe didn’t tighten it enough. Will redo this when I swap to a baffled oil pan, which am working on now.

I normally run the valve with the plastic safety clip installed, but found it was missing. I’ll probably grab a clip to replace it from one of our other cars that isn’t driven hard, like this car might be.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Huge oil leakage. 91013D44-6637-487E-86FE-C6831C38D0F8
Not to thread derail, but it’s funny you mention oil slick and James Bond ;)

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
1D899202-FA79-4679-B4DC-A0EEEF1C704F.jpeg
What's the exact fumoto setup for the Type R? Last time I looked at it it got super confusing and not clear at all what was needed.