HPDE with a stock Type R

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Had a great time with Jzilla (Great org for HPDE events in the Southeast) on Sunday at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Weather was perfect and cool.

This was my first time driving the R on the track and the car is stock (2500 miles on it). The contis were great and thanks for all the tips to the forum members on here on what psi to run them at (32 psi cold with about 50 degree outside temps, got to about 36/38 after a session), no issues with rolling and managed to run some decent times.

I was there with another Type R with FBO, we were grouped into a pod with an instructor in the Green(novice) group. Car ran great with no issues and as many already know, handled flawlessly.

Honda Civic 10th gen HPDE with a stock Type R ApplicationFrameHost_lmg10pJUr1
Honda Civic 10th gen HPDE with a stock Type R ApplicationFrameHost_CkFRNPw9fw

Love this car so much.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Looks like a blast! There are a lot of ATL members on here from what I've seen

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Man thats amazing

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Had a great time with Jzilla (Great org for HPDE events in the Southeast) on Sunday at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Weather was perfect and cool.

This was my first time driving the R on the track and the car is stock (2500 miles on it). The contis were great and thanks for all the tips to the forum members on here on what psi to run them at (32 psi cold with about 50 degree outside temps, got to about 36/38 after a session), no issues with rolling and managed to run some decent times.

I was there with another Type R with FBO, we were grouped into a pod with an instructor in the Green(novice) group. Car ran great with no issues and as many already know, handled flawlessly.

ApplicationFrameHost_lmg10pJUr1.jpg
ApplicationFrameHost_CkFRNPw9fw.jpg

Love this car so much.
Great work...looks like you got some nice open track to work with!

As you get more comfortable, carry more speed into turn 6 and use all the pavement to track out wide all the way over the curbing...this will possibly eliminate your shift down into 2nd gear for turn 6...which I hated since mine was a bit "crunchy."

I'm very much like you and as I track-out of turn 13, I turn in and just hug the inside all the way around to turn 16 onto the front straight. It really sets up the turn-in to 16 to have much more confidence since you're already on the left side of the track along the curbing instead of trying to move track left from the track-out point of 15 near pit-in.

I bet after you re-play the track in your head for a few weeks, you'll easily be 3-5 seconds faster next track day!

I'll be doing Jzilla at Rd Atlanta next month...maybe I'll see you there!

OP
OP
carrot_chaser

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great work...looks like you got some nice open track to work with!

As you get more comfortable, carry more speed into turn 6 and use all the pavement to track out wide all the way over the curbing...this will possibly eliminate your shift down into 2nd gear for turn 6...which I hated since mine was a bit "crunchy."

I'm very much like you and as I track-out of turn 13, I turn in and just hug the inside all the way around to turn 16 onto the front straight. It really sets up the turn-in to 16 to have much more confidence since you're already on the left side of the track along the curbing instead of trying to move track left from the track-out point of 15 near pit-in.

I bet after you re-play the track in your head for a few weeks, you'll easily be 3-5 seconds faster next track day!

I'll be doing Jzilla at Rd Atlanta next month...maybe I'll see you there!
That was our last session, got lucky and we were first out of the gate. The only time we had to let someone pass was a Model 3 (does about 3 or 4 laps before it had to charge) and a GTI that I think had more experienced drivers at the wheel.

We were running in the 2mins range in the morning and we were in the 1:50s by the afternoon.

Thanks for the tips, yes I figured I needed to carry more speed to use that strip after Turn 6 but I was playing it safe. :)

I think i was a little heavy on the braking going into turn 11, Ive been advised that I can carry more speed there and not brake as hard since the car gets pushed down at that turn on the way to 12 but I was scared to try. The walls are a little close there.

Unfortunately, the track day at Road Atlanta in April is closed to beginners.

Looks like I still have plenty of thread left on the stock Contis for another track day or two ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen HPDE with a stock Type R image0
Honda Civic 10th gen HPDE with a stock Type R image1

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Looks like you had great fun!!! Tires look perfect man for running them gj on nailing the pressure!

P.S. Such an amazing color you have - no I'm not bias at all :x

midlyfecrysisFK8

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (FK8) Boost Blue
Country flag
Good to see another ATL owner on here! Road Atlanta is a great, fast track! I was only able to attend a short session there in Novermber, but I am looking forward to the half-day scheduled on May 5th. You should try Atlanta Motorsports Park for your next day. Not as fast as Road ATL, but smaller and more technical. Definitely will test your cornering speed...

OP
OP
carrot_chaser

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good to see another ATL owner on here! Road Atlanta is a great, fast track! I was only able to attend a short session there in Novermber, but I am looking forward to the half-day scheduled on May 5th. You should try Atlanta Motorsports Park for your next day. Not as fast as Road ATL, but smaller and more technical. Definitely will test your cornering speed...
You have it backwards, I was at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend and looking for Road Atlanta next. :)

midlyfecrysisFK8

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (FK8) Boost Blue
Country flag
You have it backwards, I was at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend and looking for Road Atlanta next. :)
Well damn... That's what happens when you're working and reading the forum at the same time. Well yes, AMP is great! Road Atlanta is a lot faster! I'm sure I've covered everything I guess...lol

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I got 3 track days and 4650 miles from my Conti's. Could have had another day if I had rotated them after each day. Glad you went and had a good experience. It's addicting!

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
If you think it’s good on the Conti’s just wait until you get some real tires. I did my first track day last April at AMP totally stock except for 19” wheels and 255/35 Bridgestone RE-71R’s. The car felt unstoppable and was flying past a lot of cars that should have been much faster on paper.

OP
OP
carrot_chaser

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you think it’s good on the Conti’s just wait until you get some real tires. I did my first track day last April at AMP totally stock except for 19” wheels and 255/35 Bridgestone RE-71R’s. The car felt unstoppable and was flying past a lot of cars that should have been much faster on paper.
We will see, the track is fun but unfortunately thats just not in my budget to go regularly. I want to at least take the car to the tracks local to me. (AMP and Road Atlanta)

I do plan to get 19"s for daily driving. Then I can keep the stock 20"s and put Cup2s on them for track duty.

Keeping the car stock otherwise. (for now)

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
We will see, the track is fun but unfortunately thats just not in my budget to go regularly. I want to at least take the car to the tracks local to me. (AMP and Road Atlanta)

I do plan to get 19"s for daily driving. Then I can keep the stock 20"s and put Cup2s on them for track duty.

Keeping the car stock otherwise. (for now)
You would be much happier with 18s for track duty and a less expensive tire than Michelin Cup 2s and leave the heavy 20" wheels for the street unless your pot holes are huge and you really need the extra sidewall. Keeping up with the cost of 20" tires for track use can be really expensive.

OP
OP
carrot_chaser

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You would be much happier with 18s for track duty and a less expensive tire than Michelin Cup 2s and leave the heavy 20" wheels for the street unless your pot holes are huge and you really need the extra sidewall. Keeping up with the cost of 20" tires for track use can be really expensive.
Understood, I dont plan to track alot. At most 1 or 2 a year and I feel like im driving the car as the Honda Engineers intended. Im not trying to break any records, just having fun.
Sponsored