How's turbo in hot weather?

MDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5 CVT
Country flag
Considering Sport 1.5T CVT. I wonder whether there's a noticeable/significant performance degradation in hot weather?
Sponsored

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is noticeable but any car is going to behave better in cooler temps. My old air cooled Buell would pick up 20hp on the dyno in the fall.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the stock tune, it's fine... though any car, NAs included are going to make more power when cold. If you tune and push the turbo where it's no longer efficient, the cold weather will have a more profound effect.

Even running on a TSP stage 1 tune, I don't feel like the car is having power issues and despite the extra timing and boost, K.cont stays near the minimum despite higher IATs. I would expect though that the turbos is running much less efficiently with an intercooler that's less up to the present task, so the cold-air advanatge of winter will be more.

All that being said... based on the stock tune, honestly... the cold weather might not make much of a difference after all, as the ECU would limit boost as it'd be able to reach its torque targets with less boost. I never reqched the advertised "20.3 psi" for my Si. 17-18 psi was the best I ever saw... even being under WOT in 3rd or 4th. 19.5 was as high as I recall the stock boost targets being anyways.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Yes, you'll notice a decrease in power in hot/humid weather, but that's like that for any car.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t say it’s bad in the heat, but it performs noticeably better in cold weather. (as you would expect with most any turbo vehicle)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Summers here (Maryland) tend to be both hot and quite humid and the power loss is noticeable over cooler weather, especially after driving in the heat for a while. This is my first turbo and the power loss seems more pronounced then in the N/A cars I've owned.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Drove my 1.5L touring through the heat wave we had in western Canada. Air was really smoky for most of the last 2 weeks because of smoke from wildfires coming from the Pacific Northwest.

Civic performed like a champ. No discernible difference in power delivery when turbo boost gauge showed some bars filled. MPG was a little lower and I wondered if it was the smoky air doing that to the car.

Still, car had about as much giddy up as during -30 degrees Celsius days in the winter.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed it takes a bit longer to build boost on stock tune in the heat.

ScottJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Considering Sport 1.5T CVT. I wonder whether there's a noticeable/significant performance degradation in hot weather?
I haven't noticed any difference at all, up to 108 degrees here this summer.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
Does fine as I am in extreme heat. Couldn't say the same about my 7.5 gen Accord V6. Btw, anyone change out the coolant yet? I am at almost 23k and I just added some ounces and it seemed to blow colder A/C and schit.

Tony 19 Si

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I haven't noticed any difference at all, up to 108 degrees here this summer.
I would expect the turbo would make up for the humid less dense air by applying more boost, up to a point. As I recall turbo engines are better at high altitudes.
Sponsored