How to touch up a ding on the bumper paint (Lunar Metallic Silver)

jedbadda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Had my car parked on the street Friday night and when I came back, a Mini Cooper had parked with their front bumper pressed into my back bumper.

A screw from their front license plate left a pretty good scratch in the bumper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smuberzjx01oyzc/20180908_173721.jpg?dl=0

Honda Civic 10th gen How to touch up a ding on the bumper paint (Lunar Metallic Silver) {filename}

Most of the places I've called have quoted me between $500-800 because to touch up the paint without looking patchy, they take off the whole bumper and re-paint it.

Any ideas on how to smooth and touch up a small scratch like this (paint color Lunar Metallic Silver) on a 2018 civic for a reasonable amount? I got the cops to come and pull the other car's info from their plates, so I could have my insurance go after them, but feel a little bad about them having to pay that much out of pocket (insurance deductibles likely only cover more than 500-1000).
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Had my car parked on the street Friday night and when I came back, a Mini Cooper had parked with their front bumper pressed into my back bumper.

A screw from their front license plate left a pretty good scratch in the bumper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smuberzjx01oyzc/20180908_173721.jpg?dl=0

Honda Civic 10th gen How to touch up a ding on the bumper paint (Lunar Metallic Silver) {filename}

Most of the places I've called have quoted me between $500-800 because to touch up the paint without looking patchy, they take off the whole bumper and re-paint it.

Any ideas on how to smooth and touch up a small scratch like this (paint color Lunar Metallic Silver) on a 2018 civic for a reasonable amount? I got the cops to come and pull the other car's info from their plates, so I could have my insurance go after them, but feel a little bad about them having to pay that much out of pocket (insurance deductibles likely only cover more than 500-1000).
Ever wonder why most of these incident take place on a Friday Night ? :beer::beer: :beer::drive::bump:
(been looking for an excuse to use those smiley(s) for weeks !!)'

Put a Red Civic-R badge over it to cover it up !!

I've seen others put them in crazier places .:confused:
( he says, looking up through a Sun Roof)

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has worked wonders for me in the past.
Apply a few light coats of touch up to the deepest area where the paint is missing and no more than two to where the paint is marked. Let the paint you applied dry at least an hour before adding another coat.
Don’t use that stupid brush that comes with touch up, use a broken off toothpick and get nearly all the paint off the toothpick first.
You gain nothing by trying to hurry here, you want to gradually build up many very thin layers in the areas where the paint is missing/damaged.
Let dry a couple of days and wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit. Mild polishing compound and then wax wil make that virtually disappear.
Sponsored