Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used an engine hoist to gently lower it to the floor after I got the subframe out.
By how much did you lower the engine? Given the top-mounts that people have been using, seems like you'd have to drop down the engine w/. the trans connected about 7 inches. No? Doesn't that put strain on the passenger side mount? I like the idea of having the transmission as close to the floor as possible, but it sounds like lining it up on install would be tricky.

How high up did you have you car on stands? I work with the mindset of 'Set the car up only a high as necessary, and never be under it longer than you have to be.' 😅

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is how Honda recommends it. but this involves dropping the trans instead of lifting it out

7D26A16D-3A8B-433F-BFA2-CEED23C8C8B2.jpeg
I cannot find the specs for that bolt that goes into the block. Anyone have any ideas what the specs are?

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By how much did you lower the engine? Given the top-mounts that people have been using, seems like you'd have to drop down the engine w/. the trans connected about 7 inches. No? Doesn't that put strain on the passenger side mount? I like the idea of having the transmission as close to the floor as possible, but it sounds like lining it up on install would be tricky.

How high up did you have you car on stands? I work with the mindset of 'Set the car up only a high as necessary, and never be under it longer than you have to be.' 😅
Oh I think he meant uses a hoist to drop the trans down. I like this idea. Then used a blanket to pull it out. I would try this but you need an engine hoist.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cannot find the specs for that bolt that goes into the block. Anyone have any ideas what the specs are?
Maybe not sure. But you could steal a bolt from your Downpipe bracket at the bottom. Might not be long enough. I remember when I took my engine out I borrowed a bolt from there.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh I think he meant uses a hoist to drop the trans down. I like this idea. Then used a blanket to pull it out. I would try this but you need an engine hoist.
Right, that makes sense. I'm just trying to visualize the process. The factory manual says to support the engine, pull the trans away, then lower it down, which all suggest that there is enough room as it sits, without lowering the engine, to slide the trans away from the engine until the input shaft clears the pressure plate, then lower the trans.

I spend lots of time visualizing all aspects of the install process before making it happen. 😅

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe not sure. But you could steal a bolt from your Downpipe bracket at the bottom. Might not be long enough. I remember when I took my engine out I borrowed a bolt from there.
No doubt?! 🤣 That's helpful.

OP
OP
Guitar_stitch

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
By how much did you lower the engine?

Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting notifications... Weird.

I used the hoist to drop the transmission, not the engine. I left the engine suspended by the bracket by the high pressure fuel pump and such. There's enough room to separate it in frame, but be careful of your clutch hydraulic line.

I put the car as high up on the jack stands as they would go with the locks set. I pushed on it a LOT from all sides before getting under it. Good jack stands made that a lot more comfortable.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting notifications... Weird.

I used the hoist to drop the transmission, not the engine. I left the engine suspended by the bracket by the high pressure fuel pump and such. There's enough room to separate it in frame, but be careful of your clutch hydraulic line.

I put the car as high up on the jack stands as they would go with the locks set. I pushed on it a LOT from all sides before getting under it. Good jack stands made that a lot more comfortable.
Got it! TY. The many videos on YT helped me visualize the process.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. I plan on having multiple safety mechanisms in place, just in case.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also remove the tires and store them under the car. Makes more room in garage and slight protection mechanism.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also remove the tires and store them under the car. Makes more room in garage and slight protection mechanism.
Classic move. I do sometimes if I feel the risk is high. I will for the clutch. I have solid cinder blocks that I sometimes use as 'race ramps'. Gives me more clearance.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is the bracket I was speaking about, which worked well for me, and the Hasport tranny mount. The mount is much easier to remove than the stock one if you find yourself swapping tranny's as often as some of us.

PXL_20220330_203651721.jpg
PXL_20220330_203707571.jpg
Thanks! This was helpful. I ended up using a j-hook under that bracket to suspend the motor.

20220330_175345.jpg
Hmm, that was a stable suspension point, huh? Convenient!

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Guitar_stitch

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Mocking up my support brace for the clutch install. @Guitar_stitch Did this work well for you?
46C747CE-2E46-40E5-8B69-3AB9911083E9.jpeg
7595254E-9332-415B-A7CE-81D2EF2041FD.jpeg
A418491B-CBB2-460C-B249-E80D63D1BA88.jpeg
B9689486-B85D-4894-AD0E-628B70548398.jpeg
Hey, sorry...I haven't been on in awhile.

Yeah, that's about how I did mine. My hook definitely sat better in that pocket, however.